Talk

Advanced search

To think Rachel should have ended up with Joey?

(189 Posts)
amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 22:48:19

Lighthearted thread.

Watching Friends and I wish Joey and Rachel ended up together sad

KinkyHair Fri 22-Feb-19 22:54:06

Hated those two together. Especially as they had Rachel start acting really dumb.

Fiveletters Fri 22-Feb-19 22:54:47

Oh no, the chemistry was non-existent.

ethelfleda Fri 22-Feb-19 22:54:59

YABU.
But I didn’t want her to end up with Ross either.

Ninkaninus Fri 22-Feb-19 22:55:26

No. Absolutely not. As above, I hated the way they suddenly dumbed Rachel right down for that storyline.

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 22:56:11

I hate Ross and Rachel together sad

I'd rather have her with joey, I thought they were cute

DanglyBangly Fri 22-Feb-19 22:56:23

Nope, they were awful together. Awkward.

But I think she’d outgrown Ross by the end as well. They didn’t really go together anymore.

Aberforthsgoat Fri 22-Feb-19 22:56:49

Nope
They turned Joey into an absolute idiot in the layer series

Ninkaninus Fri 22-Feb-19 22:56:57

Oh uhm I meant YES, YABVU.

NO she should not have ended up with Joey. And she should not have ended up with Ross either.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 22-Feb-19 22:56:57

No.
I don't think Ross was right for her either.
I wish they'd brought Gavin in, I think maybe he was the one....

Seren85 Fri 22-Feb-19 22:57:15

Noooooo! It was such an awkward storyline. At the time I wanted Rachel to end up with Ross but having rewatched it, I wish she'd stayed on the plane and gone off to the fabulous job in Paris and left his whiny, controlling ass behind.

thatwhichwecallarose Fri 22-Feb-19 22:57:21

She should’ve stayed on the plane....

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 22:57:31

@Aberforthsgoat thought joey was always an idiot grin

LeekMunchingSheepShagger Fri 22-Feb-19 22:57:43

Nooo that was totally wrong. Almost as wrong as rachel and Ross.

Seren85 Fri 22-Feb-19 22:58:09

Sorry, I mean yes you are BVU grin

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 22:58:42

Ross is the worst character imo

C0untDucku1a Fri 22-Feb-19 22:59:10

She absolutely should have stayed on the plane. Ross was controlling. Joey was not intelligent and they dumbed down rachel’s character to make it seem possible.

MamaBear2181 Fri 22-Feb-19 22:59:50

YABU. However had you said Monica should have ended up with Richard I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

Newadventure Fri 22-Feb-19 23:00:47

Who was that other guy? Mark?? The one who got her the job and Ross was jealous of?
She should have got with him.

Yeah.. fuck you Ross.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Fri 22-Feb-19 23:01:35

No. But I agree the Ross relationship had run it’s course too.

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:01:52

@MamaBear2181 I love Monica and Chandler together but also loved her with Richard! Can't decide who I liked her with the most

liverbird10 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:02:05

They were both thick as two short planks, so why not.

Tink2007 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:02:16

God no. The Joey and Rachel pairing was the worst thing to happen to Friends after the whole Marcel the Monkey storyline.

Zero chemistry, very awkward and they dumbed both down way too much. Joey, in the early episodes, was nowhere near as dim as they made him towards the end.

Aberforthsgoat Fri 22-Feb-19 23:03:12

@amrscot he was always a bit of a lovable idiot but he’s still pretty sharp and smart in earlier series
Later episodes like the one where he’s learning french it’s like he has regressed back to a child. it’s not even funny, I found it painful to watch!

Liverpool52 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:04:34

Totally agree. Loved them together.

Just watched the lobster episode and it had both of us shouting at the screen about what a dick ross is and that he's not her lobster.

mummysheepy Fri 22-Feb-19 23:05:32

Joshua was the one for Rachel! They totally should have written him back in when he was ready for a relationship!

SauvignonMum Fri 22-Feb-19 23:05:39

Noooo, they had no chemistry.

Joey and Charlie were even worse though

Livpool Fri 22-Feb-19 23:07:00

Ross was the worse character- though I don't think Rachel and Joey was the the way to go

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:07:17

Did the writers change in the later seasons?

Santaclarita Fri 22-Feb-19 23:07:45

Nah I liked Rachel and Ross together.

Not excusing ross' behaviour, but phoebe explained him well one episode. He was never controlling or jealous until Carol his first wife cheated on him and left him for another woman.

Now, how many people have been cheated on and have felt jealous in later relationships, or at the least insecure at times? I'm not excusing his behaviour, but there was a reason for it and he did learn from that. He got better at handling it and they grew up basically. He shouldn't have acted that way to her, but he'd had a shit first serious relationship and didn't know how to handle it.

Livpool Fri 22-Feb-19 23:07:54

Monica and Chandler were perfect for each other. I hated Richard

dayswithaY Fri 22-Feb-19 23:08:49

She got back with Ross purely because of Emma. If they didn't have a child they wouldn't be together. Rachel should be with Gavin who covered for her during maternity leave and Ross should be with Charlie the palentologist.

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:09:30

@Livpool I loved Richard. Why didn't you like him?

LaurieMarlow Fri 22-Feb-19 23:09:54

I agree, I thought they were cute together.

I never got her and Ross. I understood what he saw in her, but but the other way round.

I’d have married her off to Mark though.

SusanWalker Fri 22-Feb-19 23:12:04

Monica and Chandler were a brilliant couple. Much better than Richard.

Perhaps Rachel should have ended up with Phoebe. I liked it when they shared an apartment and took down Ross.

dayswithaY Fri 22-Feb-19 23:12:04

I hated Richard and it was so creepy that he was friends with Monica's parents and she grew up with his kids - gross 😝. She should have married Pete the tech billionaire.

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:12:36

What happened to Ben? There's been no mention or sight of him since Season 8 confused

Livpool Fri 22-Feb-19 23:15:40

@amrscot I just he was creepy, given that he must have known her as young girl.

Although I hate moustaches - so could be that more than anything

MissEliza Fri 22-Feb-19 23:16:41

I really fancied Pete!

jay55 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:17:39

Joey was a incapable manchild.
She should have gone back to Bruce Willis.

MissEliza Fri 22-Feb-19 23:17:58

However I did love the episode where Monica leaves the weird message on Richard's voicemail!

NoShitHemlock Fri 22-Feb-19 23:18:29

Literally just watching Friends now! I definitely think she should have stayed on the plane cos who the fuck needs a man like these - Ross was an utter cockwomble and Joey really did get stupid in the later seasons.

Chandler was always my favourite "I'm not great at the advice. Could I interest you in a sarcastic comment?" ARF grin

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:19:20

@NoShitHemlock Chandler is by far the best character!! He's hilarious

ionlylovemybedandmymama Fri 22-Feb-19 23:19:25

Monica and Richard
Rachel and Gavin
Chandler and Janice
Phoebe and Scientist Guy
Joey single

Bangs gavel

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:21:40

@ionlylovemybedandmymama Chandler and Janice noooooo

blackteasplease Fri 22-Feb-19 23:21:58

I hated Rachel and Ross. All this "meant to be together" stuff was always a bit odd in my opinion.

They always seemed to be trying to sell these two as an item, and the whole ideal of them being the "right" one for each other, in a way I didn't like much.

And Ross was a twat.

blackteasplease Fri 22-Feb-19 23:23:02

I liked Chandler and Monica as a couple.

People seemed to like Chandler and Joey, but in many ways the writers never seemed to care about them, especially Joey.

SnowWhitesRestingBitchFace Fri 22-Feb-19 23:23:25

Ross can take his pivoting holiday armadillo self and get in the bin. That's all I have to say on the matter.

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:24:10

@SnowWhitesRestingBitchFace 😂😂

Blueemeraldagain Fri 22-Feb-19 23:26:10

Janice was too good for Chandler and I say as a massive Chandler fan. I liked him and Kathy.

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:28:47

Found Janice so irritating and unwatchable

Dohee Fri 22-Feb-19 23:33:03

Who was the guy Monika was dating, he was a millionaire and wanted to become the fighter of the world or something? I could have seen them together.

I agree with Rachel and the guy who got her the job. He was cute. Ross was just well Ross lol.

ILiveInSalemsLot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:33:24

Poor Janice. She had such a good heart and they were all so mean about her.

Aberforthsgoat Fri 22-Feb-19 23:33:54

I used to think phoebe and joey would be great together they both had a massive soft spot for each other

Them and Monica and Chandler who were good together too

I think Ross and Rachel should have stayed split and found other partners

Stargazer888 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:34:34

Janice was amazing.
I would have liked Monica and Richard, Phoebe and David, and Ross and Emily. Ross could have been awesome but they continued to dumb him down and the cast made fun of him. I liked that he liked who he was with Emily. I think Rachael was the worst. I liked her but as a person she was so spoiled and selfish.

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:34:46

@Dohee Pete!

HelenaDove Fri 22-Feb-19 23:36:18

Phoebe should have ended up with scientist guy

VanillaSugarr Fri 22-Feb-19 23:36:41

Rachel should have stayed on the plane!! She left her daughter in France hmmshock

amrscot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:37:43

@HelenaDove I liked Mike a lot more!

Stargazer888 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:50

David was better suited for Phoebe.

Emma was with Rachael's mom, not in France.

strawberrypenguin Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:24

I agree I like the Rachel/Joey paring it was sweet.
If not Joey she should have stayed on the plane.
Monica and Chandler were a brilliant pairing

MamaBear2181 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:48:37

Re: Phoebe I think David was the right guy for her in the earlier series but Mike was so much better for the person she had grown into in the later series, so I’m happy with Phoebe and Mike together.

I also liked Chandler & Kathy the best too.

Rachel & Gavin would have made a great couple but was happy she ended up with Ross too.

I don’t think Joey had a single girlfriend that had me really rooting for them.

OneDayIWish Fri 22-Feb-19 23:56:36

Where was Emma when she was going to Paris?

Seren85 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:58:05

Rachel's mum was going to take Emma to Paris later so presumably with her.

belleandsnowwhite Sat 23-Feb-19 00:04:05

Ross didn't seem to care his Daughter was going to live in another continent. He was to busy crying for Rachel.

amrscot Sat 23-Feb-19 00:04:35

@belleandsnowwhite Ross was a shit

RLOU30 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:05:46

Literally think your the only person IN THE WORLD that thinks that grin

VanillaSugarr Sat 23-Feb-19 00:06:39

Emma and her mum were already in Paris.

amrscot Sat 23-Feb-19 00:17:16

@RLOU30 sadlol

HoneyDragon Sat 23-Feb-19 00:27:23

Rachael should have stayed on the plane, landed in Paris and ran into Pete billionaire.

Gunther gets with Brad Pitt.

Overstory Sat 23-Feb-19 00:51:16

terrible, as PP have said they were forced to dumb her down but she was never dumb!

Season 1 Joey and Season 1 Rachel could have had potential but the writers allowed her to develop and mature over the 10 years, whilst devolving him into a 2D simpleton.

dustarr73 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:58:05

Ross is the worst character imo No that award goes to Phoebe,the big fucking hypocrite

SnowWhitesRestingBitchFace Sat 23-Feb-19 01:08:06

@honeydragon 😂😂😂

Notbarbie85 Sat 23-Feb-19 02:28:58

Ross and Rachel. Phoebe and David. Chandler and Kathy. Monica and Richard. Joey the eternal bachelor.

UnperfectLife Sat 23-Feb-19 03:19:42

No- they were a terrible mismatch. She might have had a fleeting fancy for him but she would never have wanted a relationship with him. I hate that bit where she laughs like some sort of idiotic teenage boy at Homo Erectus. Really not her usual character ... I thought it was a desperate and lame story line.

AlbertWinestein Sat 23-Feb-19 03:31:11

Rachel should have just stayed on the damn plane. And married Claude in Paris.

Redcampions Sat 23-Feb-19 03:38:39

At the time I really wanted Ross and Rachel to end up together. Now when I watch it I just want to scream “stay on the plane”
A lot of friends makes me cringe now. They were horrible to Janice and I am sorry Emily was so justified in her actions towards Ross

IWouldBeSuperb Sat 23-Feb-19 03:56:13

YABVU

Gavin was WAY hotter than Ross grin

WhoWants2Know Sat 23-Feb-19 07:50:58

I don't entirely agree that Rachel was dumbed down to date Joey. Her character was always doing dippy things because she hadn't been brought up to have practical skills. She was just supposed to be pretty and get married and spend her husband's money.

She was such a bad waitress that Gunther had to retrain her after years working at the coffee house.

She sent out loads of CVs that mentioned her "compuper skills". Her erotic novel had "niffles" and "heaving beasts"

She put beef in the trifle.

She joined a book club and never read the books.

If anything, they "smartened her up" to date Ross because he was a scientist.

Uptheapplesandpears Sat 23-Feb-19 07:53:13

Ew no. They were utterly toe curling together. Even 15 years on, if I'm watching a repeat and bits with them together come on, I forward. The time when she was laughing when they were about to get down to it was horrifying.

Also yes Janice was a fucking legend. I love the regular supporting cast in Friends so much. Her, Gunther, Monica's parents, all brilliant.

Uptheduffagai Sat 23-Feb-19 08:06:04

The kissing scenes with them are awkward as but I actually think they would of made a great pairing! What on earth does Rachel see in Ross?! I remember being about 10 and almost crying when they ended up together at the end haha! Now I’m like he’s a controlling, annoying, horrible person with anger issues.

The one thing that annoys me the most is he never wants Rachel until she’s happy. When her life starts going well, or she meets a new love interest he forces his way back into her life like he has some kind of claim over her because he fancied her as a teen!

Monica and Chandler are perfect for each other, they accept the more annoying points about each other and always put their love and each other first.

Joey was always there for Rachel, he even wanted to step up as a father figure when she was pregnant. I think he would of flurished in a relationship with her. They both have the same dumb humour as well. Rachel was robbed! 😄

Guineapiglet345 Sat 23-Feb-19 08:19:16

I rewatched these a while ago and I was struck by how dated they were and how bad and lazy the writing was, maybe now there’s more channels and things like Netflix and Amazon Prime we’ve come to expect better, but if Friends was on today I don’t think it would have the following that it did.

Amanduh Sat 23-Feb-19 08:24:21

Ew NO.

VanillaSugarr Sat 23-Feb-19 08:27:50

Do you think Rachel and Ross actually got married and how long was it before he cheated on her and they divorced?

Good one, Ross hmm

x2boys Sat 23-Feb-19 08:33:05

No definitely not zero chemistry between them,even the actors hated the story line apparently everyone hates Ross but Rachel was just as bad IMO,Ross was happy with Julie until he found out Rachel had feelings for him and as for turning up to his wedding.......

Sexnotgender Sat 23-Feb-19 08:39:12

Ross is a tool, Rachel should have dated Gavin.

I loved Richard, he and Monica made a great couple. Though I also love chandler, he’s the best character.

Totally agree that the writing of joeys character deteriorated massively in the later series. We’re rewatching earlier series just now and he was so much better.

MrsCollinssettled Sat 23-Feb-19 08:45:28

Mike was better for Phoebe than David. I think she would have got very lonely whenever he was immersed in a new discovery.

Joey and Rachel would have worked as long as Joey was successful.

Love Monica and Chandler together.

Ross just needed a mirror and his parents telling him how wonderful he is.

notanothernam Sat 23-Feb-19 08:52:09

Noooo I hated that storyline. And like a pp I hate how they made Joey more stupid (and unrealistic) as all the series went on.

MissEliza Sat 23-Feb-19 09:09:19

Was Gavin the one who got Rachel the job? If so, he was lovely 😊.
I don't think anyone's mentioned that Ross slept with someone the same night they 'broke up'. That was unforgivable. I was in tears for Rachel the first time I watched it!

LellowYedbetter Sat 23-Feb-19 09:32:12

I like friends but it is ridiculously unrealistic.

Phoebe would never have been friends with them.
Rachel would never have been best friends with Monica as a kid ... Rachel was popular, cheerleader, prom queen type and Monica was fat and nerdy. Would never have happened.
And joey wasn’t just stupid ... he was completely and utterly, unrealistically mentally challenged.
And the bits were phoebe pretends to be the pigeon saying sorry etc etc ... nah!

thecatsthecats Sat 23-Feb-19 10:03:50

Monica and Chandler
Rachel and Mark
Phoebe alone (horrible woman - became a bitch when they gave her that nasty straight hair)
Joey with curly hair woman
Ross with wives 4 then 5 then alone

SauvignonMum Sat 23-Feb-19 10:56:23

They turned Phoebe into a bitch when she was pregnant with the triplets, and just never switched her back to the old Phoebe, who was kind and sensitive.
Phoebe in the later series' was horrible - so passive aggressive, sarcastic, confrontational. I couldn't stand her.

SauvignonMum Sat 23-Feb-19 10:57:53

Rachel and Ross would definitely be divorced now grin

GummyGoddess Sat 23-Feb-19 11:33:36

Regarding Ben, there's a fan theory that Ross was so unstable that he was no longer allowed to see him. Makes perfect sense to me!

CiderBrains Sat 23-Feb-19 12:03:26

With regards to Pheobe, the way they made her in the later series fitted more with the way she would have been after living on the streets in NYC.

Pheobe in the earlier series didn't fit with how she would have been with her background such as never seeing the ending of certain films because they were horrible.. hmm Someone who has supposedly lived on the streets in New York as a teen is apparently upset that that Burt hides in the sand on Sesame Street!

DorisToday Sat 23-Feb-19 12:19:09

Nooo, I can’t watch the episodes with Rachel and Joey together or when Joey was besotted with her beforehand. It was just so wrong.

BitOfFun Sat 23-Feb-19 23:06:25

I saw the last episode today, and was really struck by how Ross seemed to give zero fucks about his daughter moving to Paris. Considering he'd been much more involved in her upbringing than Ben's, it seemed pretty cold.

Notbarbie85 Sun 24-Feb-19 22:22:26

In glad other people think the same about Phoebe changing (not for the better) in later series. She became less dippy and more hardened as it went on she became my least favourite.

Buddytheelf85 Sun 24-Feb-19 22:40:22

I am sorry Emily was so justified in her actions towards Ross

I couldn’t agree more! For some reason in the show she’s painted as a neurotic controlling weirdo when in fact I think she was way more reasonable in her response than many people would have been in the same situation!

GunpowderGelatine Sun 24-Feb-19 23:10:29

YANBU, Ross was AWFUL and emotionally abusive, but Rachel and Joey had fantastic chemistry.

I also think Monica should have ended up with Richard

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »