Talk

Advanced search

Parking one! With diagram

(35 Posts)
Frokoko Fri 22-Feb-19 21:47:09

I live in a residential street, and I am disabled so the council have put a line thing outside my gate, so no one parks there or opposite.
I can't get in my drive, for the past 2 hours, I have a wheelchair so usually reverse out of my car in my wheelchair (specially adapted).
I've beeped, beeped but everyone is acting like its not their car what can I do?
I need to turn into the drive, and risk banging into the said parked cars.
Tried to get in about 10 times but theres just no way
N is neighbours drive who i think the cars are their guests so they could park there

GabriellaMontez Fri 22-Feb-19 21:53:08

Sorry to hear this. Not exactly sure why you can't get in? Can you reverse in?

Maybe the cars don't belong to anyone nearby???

Frokoko Fri 22-Feb-19 21:54:36

I can't get in as i need to kind of swing the car near the kerb to be able to get in, the gate is pretty narrow.
Tried reversing also, my house is pretty much out of the way so i think its visitors

Lazypuppy Fri 22-Feb-19 21:54:44

Not seeing the issue? Why can't you pull onto your drive?

dragonsfire Fri 22-Feb-19 21:55:18

Just keep beeping till someone comes out Ignorant hits!

WhatTheNightBrings Fri 22-Feb-19 21:55:19

I knew H-bar was to indicate access needed to the driveway and not to park over the access, but didn't think it extended to opposite the driveway, and can't find any legislation regarding that online.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 22-Feb-19 21:55:22

Can you get to N’s door to knock and ask?

dragonsfire Fri 22-Feb-19 21:55:31

*Gits

BenjaminH Fri 22-Feb-19 21:56:50

nudge the cars along gently bumper to bumper, until you can swing car in.

Otherwise call 101, see what they say, as you are vulnerable person, the authorities may be able to move the other cars.

bridgetreilly Fri 22-Feb-19 21:56:54

Are you stuck in the car or can you get out? If you can get out, I would go and knock on the neighbour's door and explain the situation. Ask if the guests (if it is their guests) could move their cars to give you chance to get in to your house.

CiderBrains Fri 22-Feb-19 22:00:01

Could you park in front of your drive, reverse out of your car and get over to the neighbours to see if it's their guest's car/s?

Frokoko Fri 22-Feb-19 22:01:29

Getting out of my car requires a lot of effort, which after a round of chemo this morning i really can't be bothered I'm in pain. I've parked up the street see if anyone moves.

GabriellaMontez Fri 22-Feb-19 22:01:35

Can you do a 3 point turn then reverse in from the other direction?

MunchMunch Fri 22-Feb-19 22:06:44

Is there anyone nearby you could ring and ask them to knock on the neighbours doors? I know it's late but as someone said, you're a vulnerable person and it's not like you just fancy parking in the space that they're in, they've made it hard/impossible for you to be able to get out of your car and having to sit and wait for them to leave is not on.

Twotome Fri 22-Feb-19 22:08:56

I wasn't aware that line meant not to park opposite so i wouldn't think i had done anything wrong in parking where they have. I wouldn't come out to beeping.

Could you just park over your drive for tonight rather than on it and speak to your neighbours tomorrow?

Frokoko Fri 22-Feb-19 22:15:54

If i park over my drive the street is blocked, narrow street

ChesterGreySideboard Fri 22-Feb-19 22:16:42

They perhaps don’t realise that parking opposite would cause such a problem.
Can you call 101?

BrokenWing Fri 22-Feb-19 22:17:48

I don't think anymore would see a t bar and think they shouldn't park opposite. If you really need the road clear on the opposite side you will need to ask the council to double yellow line it. Could you widen your drive at the entrance to make it easier to turn into?

whitehorsesdonotlie Fri 22-Feb-19 22:19:37

A line across your drive just means that people can’t park there. They’re ok to park across the street...

Why can’t you reverse in to your drive? Is the road very narrow? How do other people get into their drives?

Perhaps driving while having chemo is too much for you? Do you have anyone who could take you to hospital?

Letthemysterybe Fri 22-Feb-19 22:19:52

Although I do feel sorry for you, I don’t think the parkers are being cheeky. Does this not happen a lot?

Bibijayne Fri 22-Feb-19 22:20:53

Hi OP, any luck getting them to move?

BoringPerson Fri 22-Feb-19 22:24:08

Twotome Fri 22-Feb-19 22:24:09

In that case, I would park in the closest space to your house for tonight and speak to your neighbours tomorrow.

Frokoko Fri 22-Feb-19 22:27:20

I asked a neighbour who was passing to knock on, they have moved their car! They were sorry and didn't know, probably because not often here, usually people on the street either park on the neighbours side of road, between front gardens as to not block people in
My neighbour finds it every morning someone has blocked her in, she just beeps for however long it takes

Frokoko Fri 22-Feb-19 22:27:40

Time to get out & have a cuppa

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »