Talk

Advanced search

Think I've been caught doing 60mph in a 30... what will happen

(256 Posts)
Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 20:30:24

So I'm likely to get flamed for this I know

I've been driving for 15 years. No convictions, no crashes. I'm generally very careful and a considerate road user

Today i was driving down a country lane that leads to the edge of a town. They are in the process of building a housing estate on the edge of the town and have now made it an immediate 30mph from a 60 as you come towards the edge of this new estate. I went through the 30 sign at 60, slowing down as I was going along. Then spotted a police van with a camera pointing out of the back of it sad just up the road

How much trouble am I in?

I was slowing down before I hit the urban bit, but I Definately was still doing 60 as I went through the 30 limit sign.

I'm so stressed i feel sick with worry.

If i lose my license i lose my job

Justaboy Sat 23-Feb-19 14:32:34

I really can't remember but I would say the van was probably 4 or 5 cars spaces in front? I remember thinking "why's he breaking" immediately followed by "shitttt". I quickly slammed mine on too and as I looked at speedo it said 40. At that point I wasn't far off level with the back of the van

*do see below!

Well there i think you have it. In order to measure your speed they have to get a marker on your vehicle, it dosent take more then half a second or so to measure the speed BUT they must get your number else they wouldn't know where to send the ticket;!

So if that was say a decent size transit type van I'd think on probabilities that it would be screening your car from them taking a decent shot and photo.

If you were checking your speedo at that point and that close to the van then how could they "see" you? And for them to do that then you'd have to "see" them.

I bet that they had clocked the van in front then they'd normally have to wait for that to clear or pass so they could then see you in order to target you and get a reading and a photo. But what from what your saying I don't think they had a chance of getting that.

*Now this all depends on where was the 30 limit sign?, some way back so you'd already passed it?, or were you going past it when this happened or was it in front of you?

Yabbers Sat 23-Feb-19 17:58:25

More nonsense. It might go up considerably, especially if you're a young driver or have a poor previous record, or a high group car. But most insurance companies don't worry much about a single speeding offence for a driver over age 30 with a family hatchback.

Ours went up 35 quid on a 240 insurance policy we added my husband’s 3 year old sole SP 30 speeding conviction. Both over 30 both with in excess of 25 years driving and over ten years of NCD, driving a fairly bog standard car. Not a considerable amount by itself but not negligible.

MiniCooperLover Sat 23-Feb-19 18:04:04

Accept the fine, accept the punishment and slow the fuck down !!!!!

Dothehappydance Sat 23-Feb-19 18:06:06

^ it is almost 15% so quite a significant amount.

GirlsBlouse17 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:28:03

So you knew there was a sign around the bend that was 30mph but previously 40mph , but still went through it at 60mph. I hope you have learnt a harsh lesson OP

Lifecraft Sat 23-Feb-19 21:21:17

More nonsense. It might go up considerably, especially if you're a young driver or have a poor previous record, or a high group car. But most insurance companies don't worry much about a single speeding offence for a driver over age 30 with a family hatchback.

Ours went up 35 quid on a 240 insurance policy we added my husband’s 3 year old sole SP 30 speeding conviction. Both over 30 both with in excess of 25 years driving and over ten years of NCD, driving a fairly bog standard car. Not a considerable amount by itself but not negligible.

That's why I said might. Your policy isn't everyone's policy. Saying it will go up is rubbish. None of us have any idea if it'll go up, and by how much.

Bumblebeezy Fri 08-Mar-19 06:45:52

Did you get a ticket in the end @Shouldhavenotdonethat?

Twerking9til5 Fri 08-Mar-19 07:06:44

Yes, what happened?

Norfolk police love these vans.

Shouldhavenotdonethat Thu 09-May-19 23:56:01

Sorry for the delay! Nothing ever happened . Guess I was extremely lucky. Was glad of the scare though I'm a lot more cautious :-)

Sweetdreamer93 Fri 10-May-19 00:08:23

Ask for certification that the speed gun was calibrated in a specific time period. It often isn’t and if they can’t produce it then you will likely get it all dismissed.

Missingstreetlife Fri 10-May-19 00:32:07

The camera may not be working. Wait till you get penalty notice or whatever.
Police and council are bastards, change the limit and then set traps.
Hope it's not followed up, but no point worrying

BoringPerson Fri 10-May-19 00:46:44

That's great news OP.

Sycamoretrees Fri 10-May-19 00:50:00

Good news OP, maybe it was a tax camera van and not a speed one. Or maybe you weren't going as fast as you thought.

Justaboy Fri 10-May-19 01:03:29

It IIRC has now gone past the time they can send a NIP ticket.

number1wang Fri 10-May-19 01:13:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StuckInsideAnEcho Fri 10-May-19 01:30:08

@shouldhavenotdonethat

Last week I completed one of those speed awareness courses.

I'm glad I did, because it taught me some things I'd forgotten and gotten muddled up, plus there are changes sometimes and as a driver you are expected to know by keeping up to date with the highway code and so on.

So..... For you and anyone else reading this who drives and who hasn't recently dome one of these courses, I would strongly advise you look up the material covered on these courses because it's really made me think.

Including how even just one mile over the limit in a 30 causes significant damage to something/ someone hit. The videos they showed us weren't graphic but demonstrated the laws of motion very clearly.

Glad your panic is over though. I'm sure most of us have done what you did.

Justaboy Fri 10-May-19 13:16:02

StuckInsideAnEcho My ex went on one of they, they told her to drive around in 30 MPH limits in Third gear all the time!

Daft if you ask me!

Lifecraft Fri 10-May-19 13:28:45

Ask for certification that the speed gun was calibrated in a specific time period. It often isn’t and if they can’t produce it then you will likely get it all dismissed.

Why would she do that if they've never contacted her to charge her in the first place???

Lifecraft Fri 10-May-19 13:31:14

The camera may not be working. Wait till you get penalty notice or whatever.

If the camera isn't working, how can she receive a penalty notice?
And they have 14 days to notify the registered keeper, and this was 3 months ago!!!

Wonkydonkey44 Fri 10-May-19 13:37:59

My husband was caught 54 in a 30 . Not a built up area just derelict buildings ( not that excuses it) . 6 points over £500 fine flowers

Otterhound Fri 10-May-19 13:45:14

The operator was probably having a cup of tea and a digestive...

Sometimes they are there as reminder, especially when speed limits have changed.

thelastgoldeneagle Fri 10-May-19 13:46:13

If you're doing over twice the speed limit it will mean appearing in court and could mean a ban. Keep your fingers crossed.

Abra1de Fri 10-May-19 13:48:14

Cancel the cheque.

Acis Fri 10-May-19 13:48:58

If you smashed in to a child at that speed you would totally annihilate them

Which would also be the case if a car hit a child in the 60 zone. Totally pointless post.

Acis Fri 10-May-19 13:55:06

Best result all round, OP, given that obviously it's not a mistake you will repeat after this scare.

Jaxhog Fri 10-May-19 13:55:16

Don't panic! If you were slowing down before you passed the Police Van you won't have been clocked at 60. Hopefully it will have been a lot less. You'll probably get a fine and either 3 points/speed awareness course. Unlikely to be a total ban.

Be glad it was a police van and not a child though.

TrixieFranklin Fri 10-May-19 13:57:19

RTFT people hmm

Fraxion Fri 10-May-19 13:57:34

Wait, there are roads that go straight from 60 to 30?

There are even ones that go from 70 to 30!

Coronapop Fri 10-May-19 13:59:55

If the police record your speed as 60mph you will probably need to go to court and get a Band C fine – six penalty points and a fine of 125-175% of your weekly income. You can also be disqualified for between seven and 56 days. The court will not necessarily disqualify you especially if you have an otherwise clean driving record. I would advise considering getting a solicitor if the case does go to court as they know the sorts of things to say in mitigation. With luck the speed recorded will be lower and the penalty will be less.

LizzieSiddal Fri 10-May-19 14:00:20

This happened to me recently. The limit had changed from 50 to 30 and I didn’t notice. There was a speed police van and I was convinced I’d be in big trouble. Two months later and I haven’t heard a thing. I wonder if they do it to make people take notice of the speed reduction, without finding everyone.

LizzieSiddal Fri 10-May-19 14:01:01

Read the thread people

Nothing happened to the OP.

Lovemusic33 Fri 10-May-19 14:02:45

60 in a 30 is pretty serious in the eyes of the law. You will probably get a hefty fine and 6 points. If you were under 40mph you would get 3 points or the chance to do the course.

No point I stressing now, what’s done is done.

Acis Fri 10-May-19 14:03:50

February thread, people, nothing happened to OP.

bebeboeuf Fri 10-May-19 14:05:40

You won’t get offered a speed awareness course at that speed, you are above the bracket.

I think you’re also above the bracket for just 3 points.

MadamMMA Fri 10-May-19 14:09:18

Wouldn't the police have gone after OP if they clocked her doing double the speed limit or are these vans unmanned?

C1u4toff Fri 10-May-19 14:11:06

About 9 years ago my oh got caught doing 30 over the speed limit and lost his licence. It will completely depend on what speed they clocked You at Over the 30mph sign. I would most definitely expect points and a fine

mummyhaschangedhername Fri 10-May-19 14:21:50

Glad you were fine OP.

Justaboy Fri 10-May-19 14:22:55

This incident happened in Mid Febuary this year read all the blinking thread!!

Mitzimaybe Fri 10-May-19 14:23:19

Well done for coming back and updating, OP.

MadamMMA Fri 10-May-19 14:27:15

Not everyone has the time or inclination to read the thread, get over it.

MrsBethel Fri 10-May-19 14:30:12

Well done OP. Lesson learned and it came for free!

Acis Fri 10-May-19 14:32:01

It takes all of two minutes (at most) to read the OP's posts. Surely it makes sense to do that, at the very least, not least because with a thread of this length it's virtually inevitable that things will have moved on.

MadamMMA Fri 10-May-19 14:42:35

I don't know how to see just the OP posts and some threads get to way over 10 pages within a day or two.

Lifecraft Fri 10-May-19 15:14:16

Then you risk coming across as an idiot

1. OP post in Feb - my husband has a nasty cough. AIBU to be worried.
2. OP post in March - just been told it's terminal lung cancer.
3. OP post in April - He died yesterday
4. MadamMMA in May - don't worry about it OP, it'll just be a bug, he'll be fine.

Confusedbeetle Fri 10-May-19 15:18:02

I just got 3 points and £100 fine for doing 36. You wont be offered a speed awareness course doing that much over the limit. Dont get so stressed, just take the punishment and move on. You will find out fairly quickly. Whats done is done

MadamMMA Fri 10-May-19 15:20:06

grin As if! grin

LittleRedMushroom Fri 10-May-19 15:25:03

AFAIK the law allow for a 10% error in their instrument reading which means if it reads 66 mph, they take that as 60. Also car speedos tend to read high - so if it says 60 you were probably doing a couple of mph under that.
So you will probably be under 60 which is points and a fine.

LittleRedMushroom Fri 10-May-19 15:25:40

Sorry - didn't see update.

Lifecraft Fri 10-May-19 15:43:20

*@confusedbeetle-You will find out fairly quickly.*

Indeed, they have to send out the NIP in 14 days. This happened in Feb, and you are posting advice 3 months later telling her she will find out fairly quick!!! grin

RTFT

Lifecraft Fri 10-May-19 15:45:28

AFAIK the law allow for a 10% error in their instrument reading

Wrong. It's a calibrated laser, it's accurate to a ridiculous degree. What isn't accurate is your speedo. If that says 60, you were doing less than 60, probably 56/7.

havingtochangeusernameagain Fri 10-May-19 15:47:38

It's the kind of bit that everyone just sails through at a higher speed and slows down gradually

And you should absolutely be able to do this. Slamming your brakes on as you come into a 30 limit is more dangerous than slowing down naturally in my opinion, unless you are going downhill and won't slow down. There need to be countdown markers when there is a big difference in speed, rather than a sudden 30 limit when the road has been 50 or 60 beforehand. They have them in some areas but not all.

I'm glad it was all ok OP.

catofaragon Fri 10-May-19 17:37:06

I don't understand why so many people are saying that they are glad the OP got away with this.

Speed kills. I lost a family member and I wish I could show you photos of the injuries sustained.

contentedsoul Fri 10-May-19 19:40:44

With luck, we will eventually develop proper lasers, Speed cameras will then be able to simply vaporize offending motorists - problem solved instantly!

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 10-May-19 19:55:12

@Cato I'm really sorry to hear that.
I agree that speeding is inexcusable, it wasn't a built up area or anything, just the end of an A Road where they're starting to build a housing estate.

I was lucky but like I said, lesson learned and I will make sure I adhere to limits before I reach them in future.

Scorpvenus1 Tue 14-May-19 16:38:15

Double the speed limit, any speed limit normally incurs a instant ban?

that's what I thought, not sure on the money and points tbh

LadyRannaldini Tue 14-May-19 19:12:17

r you can pay to do speeding course
Unlikely for that speed and speed limit. The rule used to be a percentage of the limit plus a bit, OH did one, he was caught at 58 in a 50 area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »