Talk

Advanced search

Think I've been caught doing 60mph in a 30... what will happen

(256 Posts)
Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 20:30:24

So I'm likely to get flamed for this I know

I've been driving for 15 years. No convictions, no crashes. I'm generally very careful and a considerate road user

Today i was driving down a country lane that leads to the edge of a town. They are in the process of building a housing estate on the edge of the town and have now made it an immediate 30mph from a 60 as you come towards the edge of this new estate. I went through the 30 sign at 60, slowing down as I was going along. Then spotted a police van with a camera pointing out of the back of it sad just up the road

How much trouble am I in?

I was slowing down before I hit the urban bit, but I Definately was still doing 60 as I went through the 30 limit sign.

I'm so stressed i feel sick with worry.

If i lose my license i lose my job

BrokenWing Fri 22-Feb-19 22:03:05

Dont they usually have 300, 200, 100 yard warning signs for a drop from 60 to 30? If you can afford legal advice get some although I think your best bet is to plead guilty, show remorse, don't make up unbelievable excuses (the dog ate my homework), and plead significant hardship if a ban was given.

taxiforme Fri 22-Feb-19 22:06:21

If you have been caught it will be a short ban. 28 days. But it will bugger up your insurance.

If you can afford it, get a good traffic lawyer who might get the magistrates to stick 6 points on instead.

GreasyFryUp Fri 22-Feb-19 22:09:52

I got a months ban and a fine for something similar.

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 22:10:17

If they've recently changed the speed limit you may be able to appeal it.

^This is complete bullshit.

Well technically it isn't. OP may appeal if she chooses to. Of course, she won't get anywhere, because the defence of "The speed limit may have changed but I don't think I should have to deal with it until I've had a few months to get used to it" will have them falling about laughing. Because it's utterly ludicrous and has no basis in law.

But she never said "you may be able to appeal it and you might win". She just said "you may be able to appeal." Which is true!

BoringPerson Fri 22-Feb-19 22:12:15

OP, I think you should try not to worry about this until you get something in the post. I think there is a significant chance that you won’t get anything at all so all the worrying will be pointless. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, Also, even if you do get something I may not be as bad as you think.

In some ways the most important thing is that you are going to be extra extra careful not to speed in future.

I’ve had a speed awareness course in the past and found it a huge help. I’m extremely careful not to speed but sometimes find the road markings/signs confusing especially on semi rural A roads which constantly switch speed limits.

LifeImplosionImminent Fri 22-Feb-19 22:12:38

How are you supposed to go from 60 to 30 without slamming your brakes on?!!! What idiot civil servant thought that was a good idea?

I have never been done for speeding but I think you have 14 days to get a Notice of Intended Prosecution, after that time you won't get one at all.... I have spent a few nailbiting days waiting for the post before but I think my car dash speedo overestimates my speed. *still cringe at the time when I thought the speed limit was a 40 and I practically posed for the mobile van camera as I sailed past in a 30 mph zone blush

NataliaOsipova Fri 22-Feb-19 22:13:26

I went through the 30 sign at 60, slowing down as I was going along. Then spotted a police van with a camera pointing out of the back of it sad just up the road

Am I being really dopey here.....or does this sound like the camera was pointing at the other side of the road? You get caught if the camera takes a picture of the back of your car as you speed past it? From the OP’s description, doesn’t sound like she has a problem unless she drove past another camera van beforehand?

Mumofaprinny Fri 22-Feb-19 22:14:16

Calm down. Do you have a log book or ownership book for your car?

Mumofaprinny Fri 22-Feb-19 22:15:10

Also, was the van on your side of the road or the other side?

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 22:15:43

Dont they usually have 300, 200, 100 yard warning signs for a drop from 60 to 30?

No.

HTH

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 22:18:34

Van was on my side of the road, camera pointing out of the back of the van at the cars coming towards them. So the front of my car would have been clocked.

Yes I have a log book it's all in my name.

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 22:21:04

How are you supposed to go from 60 to 30 without slamming your brakes on?!!! What idiot civil servant thought that was a good idea?

Well here's the thing. It's illegal to do more than 30 in a 30, but remarkably, it's perfectly legal to do less than 60 in a 60. Clever stuff eh?

So, you're driving in a 60, and ahead you see a 30 sign. You then start to apply gentle pressure to the brake pedal so as to gradually slow the vehicle, masking sure you are doing no more than 30 when you get to the 30 zone.

It's sounds really tricky but it's actually quite easy. They'll teach you how to do it when you learn to drive. grin

MereDintofPandiculation Fri 22-Feb-19 22:30:16

The national speed limit was introduced in 1965. And at that time there were very few limits other than 30. So it was the norm to slow from possibly 70 or 80 down to 30 as you entered a town.

Bumblebeezy Fri 22-Feb-19 22:34:55

That diagram is brilliant grin

Mumofaprinny Fri 22-Feb-19 22:37:27

Hypothetically, if you really didn’t want to get any bad news in the post, you could get your log book and put it into somebody else’s name example; John smith and put your address on it. Obviously put the date on it as maybe last week so it seems less suspicious.😐 then when the fine comes to your house it will be for John smith and not you! Change the log book back and problem solved! This is hypothetical but I can vouch that it works. Good luck.👍

IHopeYouUnderstandWeArePuppets Fri 22-Feb-19 22:38:52

Maybe I’m wrong but I think the police camera needs to be “watching you go” rather than pointing towards the front of your car?

Anyway I came on to say that if they do write to you, it might be worth contacting a solicitor? I worked for a solicitor years ago and one of his friends was caught speeding. Solicitor wrote a very contrite letter on friends behalf, explaining that he was in a new vehicle, didn’t know it’s power, he would never do it again and indicated how a ban would severely impact him. He got away with just points. Remember the solicitor emphasising to friend in no uncertain terms that he must avoid this happening again and no further help would be given should he get into more bother. I think with the new 30 zone, you could argue for a reduced penalty as long as you are very contrite.

Bumblebeezy Fri 22-Feb-19 22:41:33

I was driving towards the police van that caught me so sadly I can verify that they can indeed catch you in that direction.

PosiePerkinandPootle Fri 22-Feb-19 22:41:33

I'm in Scotland, not sure if rest of UK is the same, but according to my dad (retired road engineer) that wouldn't be enforceable as there is too much variation in the speeds. So there should be either a 40 or 50 "buffer zone" before the 30. Tbh I take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt but might be worth checking out? How far into the 30 zone were you? Would you have risked anyone going into the back of you if you'd slammed the brakes on?

LifeImplosionImminent Fri 22-Feb-19 22:44:07

@lifecraft That civil servant must have thought it was a good idea, like you thought a snarky answer would make you look clever....

ContinuityError Fri 22-Feb-19 22:44:27

Mumofaprinny hypothetically speaking, of course, that sounds just a tad on the dodgy side of legal?

Sycamoretrees Fri 22-Feb-19 22:49:45

Any chance it was a car tax camera not a speed camera?

Mumofaprinny Fri 22-Feb-19 22:50:09

Yes, hypothetically it would be!😉

JaniceBattersby Fri 22-Feb-19 22:53:25

There’s some shite advice here.

If you get a court summons, then go to court. Dress nicely, stand up straight and when they ask you if you have any mitigation, apologise profusely, tell them it was a genuine error, the limit has recently changed, it was not deliberate, you don’t make a habit of speeding, have never had points before and if you do lose your licence you could lose your job. Despite what others are saying about, all these things can be used in mitigation but you must get across that you hold your hands up and are not trying to excuse your crime.

I’ve sat through hundreds of these cases at mags. You don’t need a fancy lawyer, you just need to be contrite. I doubt they’ll ban you for long but I have seen people banned for that kind of speeding.

We all make mistakes. I’m sure you won’t be doing it again.

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 22:53:39

Hypothetically, if you really didn’t want to get any bad news in the post, you could get your log book and put it into somebody else’s name example; John smith and put your address on it. Obviously put the date on it as maybe last week so it seems less suspicious.😐 then when the fine comes to your house it will be for John smith and not you! Change the log book back and problem solved! This is hypothetical but I can vouch that it works. Good luck

Baldrick, I think I've spotted a few of flaws in your cunning plan.

1. The NIP (notice of intended prosecution) is sent to the person who was the registered keeper on the day of the offence. Not the registered keeper on the day they send out the NIP.

2. Your vehicle will end up with 2 extra former keepers as shown on the logbook. So if you bought the car new, it currently shows 0 former keepers. When you change it to John Smith, it'll show 1 former keeper(you), and when you change it back to you, it'll show 2 former keepers (you followed by John Smith). This will effect the resale value.

3. The plan won't work anyway, because you were the keeper on the day of the offence, but if DVLA get suspicious about these ownership changes in quick succession, in or around the time of a speeding offence, and decide to investigate, you could end up being charged with an attempting to PCOJ charge, which almost certainly will mean jail time. You'll lose your job, your house, your husband will shag your sister whilst you are in prison and you'll end up homeless and broke, sleeping in a shop doorway, selling pencils from a cup.

But apart form those 3 minor issues, it's and absolutely brilliant strategy. Well done you.

Applesaregreenandred Fri 22-Feb-19 22:54:20

My DH was caught doing nearly 60 in. 40 zone and had a huge fine - I can’t remember how much but it was a few hundred and we had to cancel our half term holiday break to pay for it.

The speed awareness course is only available if you are slightly over the limit - and it is actually a really useful course. I had to go on one and I learned quite a bit. For those questioning the speed limit changing from a 60 to a 30, we were taught things to look out for as a warning that a 30 mph was coming up and to slow down accordingly,

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 22:54:30

I think if I get altering my log book I'll actually go into full on stressed out criminal mode so may just sit and await my post. But thank you for the suggestion. It made me smile if nothing else!

@Posie I checked and there was nothing at all behind me, so no way I could use that as a reason unfortunately sad

ContinuityError Fri 22-Feb-19 22:56:08

PosiePerkinandPootle

Buffer zones are only considered in certain circumstances:

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/63975/circular-01-2013.pdf

IncrediblySadToo Fri 22-Feb-19 22:58:02

[dual carriage way, that drops down to 40, abruptly. I seem to be the only one who drops my speed to 40, and boy do other drivers get pissed off]

There's one of those near me. It's sensible because there's a bend in the road and then a big junction that you can't see before you get to the bend

It’s not the same one. ‘My’ one is a straight road for miles, it’s still straight when it changes to 40. I honestly cannot see a single reason for it to drop from 70 to 40.

I drive at 40 and everyone else is whizzing past or getting right up my backside. I always feel like one of those idiot slow drivers on motorways who are a total menace to everyone

Me too. I actually feel really vulnerable.

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 22:58:09

@janicebattersby

Thank you for that. I've always found honesty is the best policy. To be honest I would probably cry too. Would that go against me confused blush

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 22:58:31

I'm in Scotland, not sure if rest of UK is the same, but according to my dad (retired road engineer) that wouldn't be enforceable as there is too much variation in the speeds. So there should be either a 40 or 50 "buffer zone" before the 30. Tbh I take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt

I think taking what you dad says with a pinch of salt is great advice.

There are thousands of places in the UK (inc Scotland) where you leave a motorway or a NSL dual carriageway, both 70mph, and go straight into a 30mph limit. .

Mumofaprinny Fri 22-Feb-19 22:59:07

😂 I don’t think you would ever make a good criminal!😂 I will be thinking of you and I hope you don’t get any letters.👌

Lotsofsausage Fri 22-Feb-19 22:59:48

ifs nobody knows what speed they clocked you at, and even then they look at each case individually and there could be different outcome. Don't know why people are telling you what's going to happen. Just wait and see. But if it was 40 in a 30 it's not that bad!

jasjas1973 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:00:46

The national speed limit was introduced in 1965. And at that time there were very few limits other than 30. So it was the norm to slow from possibly 70 or 80 down to 30 as you entered a town

Fuckin hell! the cars i had in the 80s that were made in the 70s did not do 70 or 80 mph.... in the 60s the 40 in Austin A40 meant it did 40mph max !!! maybe you had a e-type or similar? lol!

The idea is you see the sign and slow down or better still use a bit of anticipation and don't go blatting along at 60 plus with no idea what you are doing.

If you do get a ban etc, it will serve you right and teach you not to drive like the sort of idiot who ran over a friend of mine whilst speeding - he spent 6 weeks in a coma and will never be the same again, so i've zero sympathy for you.

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 23:03:31

@jas that's okay because I didn't ask for sympathy

Sorry to hear about your friend

ContinuityError Fri 22-Feb-19 23:04:56

PosiePerkinandPootle

Do hope your dad wasnt anything to do with the Muchalls bends on the A90 - I’m pretty sure they don’t conform to dual carriageway design.

littlemissblue2000 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:06:31

Depends what speed you were doing when you spotted the van and if you were going round a bend at the time..their speed cameras don't work if you are on a bend so they will get you as you come off the bend.
If you were doing 40 you may get sent on a speed awareness course

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 23:08:34

The speed awareness course is only available if you are slightly over the limit

Nope, it's available to anyone not exceeding 10% plus 9 over the limit. So up to 42 in a 30, or up to 86 in a 70. But they do not have to offer you a course, even if you're within criteria. They can just give you points and a fine.

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 23:09:11

I will Definately update in 2 weeks with what ( if anything ) happens.

ContinuityError Fri 22-Feb-19 23:09:17

jasjas1973 AC tested a Cobra on the M1 in 1964 and hit 185mph. Totally legally. And they weren’t the only ones doing it.

2010Aussie Fri 22-Feb-19 23:14:41

I wish you well OP - you seem genuinely concerned and caring.

Unfortunately, many fixed and mobile speed cameras seem just to be there to catch people out and make money. We have a major dual carriageway where the speed limit goes from 70 to 40 but the 40 sign is over the brow of a hill and you don't see it until you are about 50 metres in front of it. A 100m further on is a fixed speed camera. It catches loads of drivers every day. The locals know it's coming and slow right down but strangers don't stand a chance.

Lifecraft Fri 22-Feb-19 23:14:57

in the 60s the 40 in Austin A40 meant it did 40mph max !!!

Who told you that, Pinocchio? grin

ContinuityError Fri 22-Feb-19 23:15:34

And the Austin 40 was 40bhp - top speed (probably downhill and with a fair wind) was 70mph.

JustanotherJP Fri 22-Feb-19 23:29:12

I am magistrate and agree with Janicebattersby that there is a load of shite advice on here.

In fact Janicebatterby’s post is the most sensible one on here.

Wait and see what you actually got clocked at before worrying too much.

Backwoodsgirl Fri 22-Feb-19 23:32:31

Best case, they clocked you at 40, so points and fine

Worst case your ass will be handed to you.

NotaSpringChicken Fri 22-Feb-19 23:33:58

Your car insurance will also go up considerably if you get a conviction for speeding. We have mobile speed vans everywhere in the area I live in, many many people have been caught out, myself included. The only thing to do is drive very carefully indeed.

One young man we know got caught twice by two separate vans on the same journey. He was on a stretch of 70 mph dual carriageway trunk road, which bypasses two towns. He didn't lose his license but had to sell his 4x4 vehicle and buy a small hatchback because his car insurance went up massively.

Justaboy Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:03

Van was on my side of the road, camera pointing out of the back of the van at the cars coming towards them. So the front of my car would have been clocked

Right but how far away was this other Van that slammed it's breaks on was it just in front of you, ten car lenghts away, did you only see the police camera van after it went past?, it all seems a bit vague..

Smileymoon Fri 22-Feb-19 23:44:26

We live shortly after a 60mph turns into a 30. We often get people zooming past at 80mph no doubt intending on slowing down a bit further up the road. I keep my young children tucked into the far side of the pavement in single file.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 22-Feb-19 23:45:25

My, even by mumsnet "legal advice" standards, there's some right hooey on this thread

OccasionallyIncomplet Fri 22-Feb-19 23:48:59

First you will get a NIP - Notice if Intended Prosecution within 14 days. You have to declare the driver. Don't lie - see the recent MP who tried that old chestnut.

A little later you will receive further letter. If you were below 45mpg or there abouts, you would be sent a offer of an Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice that will be 3 points and fine. Dependent on your force area, you may also be offered a Drivers Awareness Course which will be circa £100 and 3 hours long (but no points or fine).

If you were above 45moh, then you will probably receive a summons for court. You will likely receive 6 points and a large fine. If you were a new driver (I know you are not) then this would mean disqualification.

If you were double the speed limit, you are going to receive a summons and they may seek to have you disqualified. If you can justify why you shouldn't be (I.e. you livelihood is driving occupation such as Taxi, HGV - essential commuting is not generally considered to an mitigating factor) then you may end up with just 9 or even 12 points on your licence, a fairly hefty fine but you will still be able to drive (however your insurance is going to double/triple).

Just for reference because I see it all the time - there is no such thing as the '10% + 3 ' exception or all the other BS you normally read about speeding. Speeding is an 'absolute offence' - you are either over the speed limit and automatically guilty, or not. 1 mph over is an offence.

Also remember - just because the van is there, doesn't necessarily mean you have been caught (although there is a good chance). You'll know within 14 days.

Source: Rozzer

Guavaf1sh Fri 22-Feb-19 23:56:11

That diagram is so beautiful they should let you off for sure

Shouldhavenotdonethat Sat 23-Feb-19 00:11:35

@justaboy I really can't remember but I would say the van was probably 4 or 5 cars spaces in front? I remember thinking "why's he breaking" immediately followed by "shitttt". I quickly slammed mine on too and as I looked at speedo it said 40. At that point I wasn't far off level with the back of the van
I had seen the police van before as I was approaching as I remember thinking it was an odd place to park and assuming it was for building site but it was tucked far over, almost in hedgerows. I didn't realise it was police van till last few seconds

Shouldhavenotdonethat Sat 23-Feb-19 00:12:45

There's been some really helpful responses on here... Thank you

mmmm25 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:22:51

I got a £100 fine and 3 points recently for doing 30 in a 20mph. The speed limit on that road has recently changed but I just didn't notice.
Anyway, there was no option to do a speed awareness course, just take the above punishment or go to court. Unblemished 26years driving was not taken into account.

AdoreTheBeach Sat 23-Feb-19 02:36:10

There used to be something similar near me, 50 mph to 30 mph and became a known hot spot for police ticketing. It also became a popular route for driving instructors to bring their students as examples of crappy road signage you’re still obliged to obey. Took years but signage did change (whole street is 30, no longer just a section being 50).

As PP said, you’ll likely be offered the speed awareness course. My husband has done it twice.

Decormad38 Sat 23-Feb-19 02:44:38

I got caught doing 44 in a 30. Like you didn’t slow quick enough. I got 3 points and a fine.

Decormad38 Sat 23-Feb-19 02:45:22

You wont be offered speed awareness as you were going too fast for that option ( like me)

DroningOn Sat 23-Feb-19 06:22:43

Big fine

6 points min upto a ban

Tiggs335 Sat 23-Feb-19 06:34:07

You'll receive your letter soon enough and then you'll know for sure. No point speculating really.

SchnitzelVonCrum Sat 23-Feb-19 06:40:16

Is this in Yorkshire?

Anyway if you think you were doing 40 when you spotted the van I’d sy they’d have clocked you at that. The range isn't that good. Points and fine, there's no way you'll be offered a speeding course is it was 40 plus in a 30.

There are specific driver forums online that though where someone will be able to tell you the breakdowns and thresholds for different penalties. It changed a few years ago so it's slightly stricter with bigger fines now.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sat 23-Feb-19 06:51:47

Whatever happens, OP, presumably you've learned your lesson not just for this bit of road but also for driving in general.

ivykaty44 Sat 23-Feb-19 07:18:44

Let’s hope that op has learnt her lesson & by her panick on here it would seem so, as many speeding drivers are caught over again and eventually cause crashes, some with dire consequences.
Speeding is a crime just like robbery is a crime and I’d rather be robbed than hit by a speeding driver.

according Sat 23-Feb-19 07:24:32

'As PP said, you’ll likely be offered the speed awareness course.'

^ You will absolutely NOT be eligible for a speed awareness course.

sashh Sat 23-Feb-19 07:28:45

The vipers must be out at the pub tonight, I've seen similar threads which were totally obnoxious.

That's usually for the CF who think the law doesn't apply.

I fought a parking ticket once and ended up in the magistrate's court. A lot of years ago now. Everyone was there for speeding, parking or other offenses.

I explained my situation to the magistrate, the police solicitor had a discussion with the magistrate and they then decided to, 'offer no evidence'.

The gentleman before me produced a picture of his hamburger stand. He was there for 'leaving the scene' he explained that this was his lively hood, his van was in good condition. I don't remember the exact details, I think he was doing a 3 point turn and clipped a council building. It was a weekend and so although he stopped he couldn't find a manager or anyone to report to.

Someone had taken his number and reported him.

The magistrate asked a few questions of the van driver who was extremely sorry and then asked the clark what the minimum fine/points he could give.

I'm telling you this because if you do have to go to court magistrates are human.

Your first post is, I did this, what will happen, and if you do go to court you will, I'm sure, be sorry and explain that you have a clean licence, the speed has only just changed and you slowed as soon as you saw the first sign.

You will still get points and a fine, but you are not in the habit of speeding.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 23-Feb-19 07:40:39

As PP said, you’ll likely be offered the speed awareness course. My husband has done it twice.

So clearly the first one was effective! hmm

HoraceCope Sat 23-Feb-19 07:43:08

it shouldnt go from 60 to 30! normally goes down in increments surely?

Dothehappydance Sat 23-Feb-19 07:51:26

Roads really do go from 60 (well nsl) to 30. The road I drive on has no advance warning signs it just does.

Shouldhavenotdonethat Sat 23-Feb-19 08:10:19

Same here there is no advance warning that it's about to change. You come round a slight bend and can see up ahead that it drops to 30. I am familiar with the road and have used it a few times but because the 30 limit is there before u already the town, I have never seen one person go through it at 30. Everyone just gradually decreases their speed which seems safer, albeit not the law

MegaBat Sat 23-Feb-19 08:11:22

My husband is high up in roads policing so I've just asked him. It's court as it's too much for a speed awareness court etc. I asked him if you'd receive a ban on the circumstances you describe and he said that would be very very unlikely so you can probably breathe easy on that front

MegaBat Sat 23-Feb-19 08:12:57

You will absolutely not be offered a speed awareness course. That advice is incorrect. A court will look at all the circumstances and decide and based on your driving history and the face it wasn't (for example here) outside a school, a ban is unlikely

Shouldhavenotdonethat Sat 23-Feb-19 08:22:09

Thank you @megabat

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Feb-19 08:25:57

So much misinformation. Here, the full table of fines

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Feb-19 08:28:13

OP Chances are, with no other factors/points etc, you'll get a large fine and 6pts on your licence.

But be prepared for more if your area is having a crack down.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 23-Feb-19 08:28:17

If you can see the 30 sign up ahead, you should be slowing down as soon as you see it (if it’s close enough to need to). Not slam on your breaks but definitely be slowing down for it. If you’ve just come around a bend, surely you’d be doing less than 60 when you see it so slowing down won’t take as long?

Shouldhavenotdonethat Sat 23-Feb-19 08:34:34

@beingatwat it's not the kind of bend you'd slow down for, it's just a curve so that you can't see the 30 sign until you are round there. Unless you go around the slight curve in the road breaking you will never reach 30 at the sign without breaking very hard

Zampa Sat 23-Feb-19 08:36:36

So many cavalier attitudes towards speeding on this thread which backs up my experience of driving. Too many people either think speed limits don't apply to them or lack the observation skills to see road signs.

Then people who are caught speeding complain that cameras are just money making schemes rather than road safety devices! Average speed checks need to on all roads IMO.

More serious punishments are needed to deter speeding and the OP should receive a serious fine.

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Feb-19 08:39:58

I had a ticket at a similar bend. The police car was parked just round thebend in a narrow space and the sign was not only on a bend but partially obscured by a hedge.

When I realised my error I drove round again and took pictures of the sign and the police car. I sent them in and explained that I was happy to accept I had been speeding but didn't think that the placement of the sign or the police car were conducive to public safety.

I still got a £100 fine and 3pts (it was before the new fine system came in) but I also got a nice letter explaining that the sign had now been moved an that the position of the car had been improved - which it has, it is now a proper layby rather than a muddy bank!

I'd wish you good luck but 60 in a 30 is quite scary!

Yabbers Sat 23-Feb-19 08:41:36

You would feel very differently if you were in my position.
You don’t know what position I’m in.

You did mean to be harsh and there was no need.

2010Aussie Sat 23-Feb-19 08:42:16

Occasionallyincomplet

Yes, speeding is an absolute offence but it is often difficult to get an accurate reading of a car's speed.

We have a lot of the speed indicator signs near us - it tells you your speed and gives you a smiley or sad face. I have a digital speedo on my car so I know exactly what speed she thinks she's doing. It's very rarely the same as indicated. Also some of the 'slow down 30' signs get set off when you are below the limit.

OK these devices are not speed cameras but it does indicate a degree of inaccuracy in the speed measurement.

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Feb-19 08:43:51

Just as your speedometer is inaccurate.. it reads a little fast, to keep you safe!

Gina2012 Sat 23-Feb-19 08:57:47

Road used to be a 40 and now is a 30

But you were doing 60?

I was sympathetic towards you up until then.

Now I think you're an idiot and a dangerous one. People like you kill. THINK in future angry

But I think you'll be saved by the van and by the fact that you think you might have reduced your speed to 40 in time

So most likely 6 points and a fine

Fishwifecalling Sat 23-Feb-19 09:04:25

Car parking on double yellows to see what you get.

Ali1cedowntherabbithole Sat 23-Feb-19 09:09:31

So many passionate posters who are convinced that the OP definitely will/definitely won’t be offered a speeding course/ban.

We don’t know her speed at the time she was clocked.

Ali1cedowntherabbithole Sat 23-Feb-19 09:13:59

And I hope the people who think there are deceleration signs aren’t U.K. drivers hmm. Especially if they think you never go straight from 60 to 30.

BayandBlonde Sat 23-Feb-19 09:15:26

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the law changed and now they fine you based on your salary. It's a percentage of your weekly income.

This calculator will tell you how much you're likely to get fined. I'm assuming there will be points also

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speeding-fine-calculator

LakieLady Sat 23-Feb-19 09:22:18

If it's a short term ban I could work with that as a brief break in work they'd allow that unpaid due to how long I've worked there.

I was going to suggest that. My friend's husband was allowed to take a 3-month leave of absence while he was banned from driving.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sat 23-Feb-19 09:27:56

Shouldhavenotdonethat

I know the sort of bend you mean. I have a fair few round my way. The difference is, I know the roads so know when the speed changes and drive accordingly. If I don’t know the road, I slow down appropriately for bends just in case. Not to 30 but enough to decrease my stopping distance.

You know the road. You know the speed changes. 30 or 40 doesn’t matter. You knew! If you’d gone through at 40 as a brain fade moment, I’d be sympathetic but knowingly continuing to do 60 because ‘everyone else does it too!’ is dangerous.

Janecon Sat 23-Feb-19 09:28:50

My neighbour was caught doing 44mph in a 30 zone just before Xmas. He heard within a week and he got a £100 fine and 3 points on his licence.

notapizzaeater Sat 23-Feb-19 09:29:58

The paperwork comes through quickly now, within a few days so you will know soon enough

LakieLady Sat 23-Feb-19 09:39:46

Dont they usually have 300, 200, 100 yard warning signs for a drop from 60 to 30?

I've never seen them, and there are several stretches of road near me that drop from 60 to 30.

There's one on the way into town, where you come off an NSL dual carriageway, along about a mile of NSL road and then there's a 30mph sign where it's not even a built up area. If they put a speed camera there, they'd make a fortune.

There's also one on a rural road across the downs, where you arrive at the edge of a town really suddenly (if you're not familiar with the area). You come down a lovely hill with gentle bends, then into some trees and all of a sudden you're in a housing estate. I've seen cars practically stand on their noses as drivers slam their anchors on when they suddenly realise they're in a built-up area. The 30 signs aren't that prominent, because of the trees and dappled light.

mmmm25 Sat 23-Feb-19 09:45:03

It took about 7-10 days for my paperwork to come through too.

CaptainBrickbeard Sat 23-Feb-19 09:45:36

I’ve only been driving a couple of years and am very cautious about speed limits. I drive at them. Not under them, not too slowly but I stick to them. Consequently, people overtake me dangerously and/or tailgate me sometimes if they don’t want to drive at the speed limit. Sudden changes like 60 to 30 are scary if someone is driving right up the back of you. I used to have this on my drive to work last year where a 60 road suddenly went into a little village with cars parked all sides of the road, narrowing it down to single car width and the limit dropped abruptly, however, it was a straight road with red tarmac approaching the change so you could see it up ahead. I would brake in advance so I was doing 30 when I got to the sign and anyone behind me would see my brake lights in warning rather than me slamming on and surprising them. It was a scary test of nerves if someone came zooming up behind! It sounds like a bad stretch of road.

alfagirl73 Sat 23-Feb-19 09:52:42

OP - firstly - you don't know if you've been clocked yet, so try not to worry until you know for sure. There have been a couple of times where I'd swear I'd been caught and never heard a peep.

However, assuming you were caught, and assuming worst case scenario, given it's a first offence, it is likely you'll get a hefty fine and points. If you DO have to go to court, just be very contrite, remorseful, apologetic, accept your crime, won't do it again etc etc... and it'll probably be all over very quickly - your bank balance will be significantly lighter but unlikely you'll get a ban. Then just put it down to experience and move on.

Tunnocks34 Sat 23-Feb-19 09:57:25

A friend of mine was caught doing 107 on the motorway. At night when it was empty but still it was absolute stupidity on his part and inexcusable.

He already had three points for speeding as well. He was given 6 points and a £700 fine. The court allowed him to keep his license because he was repentant, admitted he was stupid and proved he would lose his job if he lost his license. He also had to complete a speed awareness course at an additional cost.

I think if it’s a first offence, you accept liability, apologise and prove you need your car for work then you should hopefully offered a hefty fine but allowed to keep your license.

It’s a hard lesson to learn, but I’m sure you’ve already learnt your lesson by the sounds of it.

Lifecraft Sat 23-Feb-19 10:54:14

it shouldnt go from 60 to 30! normally goes down in increments surely?

Firstly, 60 to 30 is an increment! It might go to 20 further down the road.

Secondly, I hope all the people banging on about speed limits having to reduce in small steps, or there being 300/200/100 markers to a drop in the limit, don't actually drive. Because if they do, it's worrying how little knowledge they have.

I can think of 3 roads within a few miles of me that drop from 70 to 30. It's perfectly normal when coming to the end of an NSL dual carriageway of leaving a motorway.

Lifecraft Sat 23-Feb-19 11:00:32

Your car insurance will also go up considerably if you get a conviction for speeding.

More nonsense. It might go up considerably, especially if you're a young driver or have a poor previous record, or a high group car. But most insurance companies don't worry much about a single speeding offence for a driver over age 30 with a family hatchback.

Lifecraft Sat 23-Feb-19 11:02:23

If only the OP received a pound for every bit of utter tripe posted on this thread, she'd be able to afford a chauffeur driven limo for the next 5 years! grin

Shouldhavenotdonethat Sat 23-Feb-19 11:07:36

@lifecraft grin

MintCassis Sat 23-Feb-19 11:57:26

2010Aussie there are two near my parents that are like that. One flashes slow down when you’re doing 26 in a 30 zone. Then round the corner another says thank you for driving carefully with speed displayed at 23 when I’m doing 30 confused

MustBeThin Sat 23-Feb-19 12:35:29

Mint is it a road near a school or a really busy area? If there an advisory speed sign near (usually 20mph) it will tell to slow down at certain times when travelling over 20mph even though the road is technically a 30mph road.

I don't understand why some people are shocked that a road changes from 60mph to 30mph without warning confused that's why you look ahead, read the signs and slow down. Theres a route I travel often and it goes from 30mph to 60 to 30mph to 50mph and then back to 30.

Zwischenwasser Sat 23-Feb-19 12:54:05

I’ve only skimmed the thread, apologies if I missed this, but if it’s a new speed limit, the police might just send a warning Letter.

That’s what they did near us not too long ago. Same situation, a housing estate under construction, and a speed limit went in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »