Talk

Advanced search

Think I've been caught doing 60mph in a 30... what will happen

(256 Posts)
Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 20:30:24

So I'm likely to get flamed for this I know

I've been driving for 15 years. No convictions, no crashes. I'm generally very careful and a considerate road user

Today i was driving down a country lane that leads to the edge of a town. They are in the process of building a housing estate on the edge of the town and have now made it an immediate 30mph from a 60 as you come towards the edge of this new estate. I went through the 30 sign at 60, slowing down as I was going along. Then spotted a police van with a camera pointing out of the back of it sad just up the road

How much trouble am I in?

I was slowing down before I hit the urban bit, but I Definately was still doing 60 as I went through the 30 limit sign.

I'm so stressed i feel sick with worry.

If i lose my license i lose my job

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 20:41:20

I don't care abiut the fine, I'll pay whatever although im not rich
I just don't want to lose my license sad sad

TrixieFranklin Fri 22-Feb-19 20:42:12

Based on your speed and a salary of £20k. It's band C - not good.

Sammysquiz Fri 22-Feb-19 20:42:22

You'll probably get a letter in the post giving you a fine and 3 points on your licence. You might by offered a driver awareness course. If it's your first offence, don't worry you won't lose your licence.

I’m afraid this is only true if it’s a minor speeding offence. >20mph over the limit is a serious speeding offence. It’s unusual to have a camera directly by a change of speed sign, are you sure you were still going at 60mph as you passed the camera?

CoachBombay Fri 22-Feb-19 20:43:22

Just noticed you may have slowed down to about 40ish in which case you won't get disqualification. Just points and a fine.

Drawward Fri 22-Feb-19 20:44:01

With the new structure for fines and points that came in recently 60 in a 30 would be a band C punishment. Maximum is disqualification of 7 to 56 days or 6 points. If you were under 51 in the 30 it would be a band B which is disqualification of 7 to 28 days or 4 to 6 points.

There would also be a fine applied which would follow:
Fine Band B
Starting point 100% of weekly income
Range 75 – 125% of weekly income
Fine Band C
Starting point 150% of weekly income 1
Range 125 – 175% of weekly income

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 20:44:04

The fine will be paid out of my savings. I'll take that as I deserve it.
I just really don't want to and can't afford to lose my job. I I never speed. This was such a stupid error, there was a van ahead who I saw slam his brakes on. It's the kind of bit that everyone just sails through at a higher speed and slows down gradually

BrizzleMint Fri 22-Feb-19 20:44:05

Band C

This sentencing range is reserved for the most serious speeding offences. The court will consider a driving ban of between 7 and 56 days or impose six penalty points. This could be coupled with a fine up to 150% of weekly income.

This covers speeds of over 41mph in a 20mph zone; 51mph in a 30mph zone; 66mph in a 40mph zone; 76mph in a 50mph; 91mph in a 60mph, and; 100mph in a 70mph zone.

from: vhsfletchers.co.uk/new-speeding-penalty-guidelines/

BrizzleMint Fri 22-Feb-19 20:44:50

@Drawward cross posted!

Bumblebeezy Fri 22-Feb-19 20:45:12

If you were doing as much as 60 in a 30 then you will likely have to go to court. Ban possible, points, fine.

If you were only doing 40 when you first clocked the van ahead of you though then it seems unlikely to me that you would have been going THAT fast?

I actually got caught in very similar circumstances and braked when I saw the van. I was recorded as doing 41 and just managed to scrape under the speed at which a speed awareness course is no longer offered, so I just did the course and avoided the points.

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 20:47:30

Thanks so much for all the help. And for not being judgemental.
If it's a short term ban I could work with that as a brief break in work they'd allow that unpaid due to how long I've worked there.
Feeling slightly better now.

@sammysquiz if I understand correctly, those cameras clock your speed for quite a distance. I only looked at my speedo as I spotted them at which point i was at 40mph but I had been going faster a few secs prior

BrizzleMint Fri 22-Feb-19 20:48:38

Thanks so much for all the help. And for not being judgemental.

The vipers must be out at the pub tonight, I've seen similar threads which were totally obnoxious.

ivykaty44 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:49:18

You don't get banned until you get 12 points.

Drivers don’t get banned with over 12 points, they can keep driving there are over 10000 drivers with more than 12 points on the roads

As for what’ll happen I’ve just asked a 👮‍♂️ and I’ll get back to you 🤔

Drawward Fri 22-Feb-19 20:50:11

If you do get a court summons head over to the Pepipoo forum.
They help people with what to put in mitigating comments and have lots of experience
forums.pepipoo.com/

Pippathenippa Fri 22-Feb-19 20:50:40

Have a look here OP
www.drivingban.co.uk/drivingban/avoiddrivingban.htm
The court can decide not to ban you after taking circumstances into consideration. (Such we work) No prior convictions will
Work in your favour. Try not to panic to much it’s already done now, just get on with the motions. - People have done a lot worse!

Janecon Fri 22-Feb-19 20:51:17

Sorry, but you should have slowed down when the sign came into view. It's there because it's a built up area and there could be pedestrians.

Don't get me wrong, I sometimes exceed the speed limit but not in a built up area. That's because a close family member was killed by someone going at a similar speed in a 30mph zone. Sadly it was before the days of cameras on mobile phones or I'd be uploading pictures of their injuries. It was horrific.

I don't mean to be harsh, but the best thing you can do is learn from it, take the points/fine and move on.

mrcharlie Fri 22-Feb-19 20:54:04

A traffic cop once told me the discretion rule was 10% + 4, so going at 37mph in a 30 zone was up to the officers discretion, above this was a offence.

60>30 is pretty drastic, and the camera van picking drivers off is rich pickings for the force.

Hoopaloop Fri 22-Feb-19 20:54:04

😂

ContinuityError Fri 22-Feb-19 20:55:16

It's the kind of bit that everyone just sails through at a higher speed and slows down gradually

Well they shouldn’t, should they? And especially as you know it’s there, that’s really not an excuse? It’s not at all unusual to go from national speed limit to a 30mph zone.

2birds1stone Fri 22-Feb-19 20:56:30

These change in speed limits do my head in
I understand the need for slower limits in built up areas etc however going from a speed and expecting someone to half it in seconds is just as dangerous.

There should be a gradual reduction at these points to give people who don't know the road time to slow down at a reasonable rate rather than slamming on brakes.

GetOffTheTableMabel Fri 22-Feb-19 20:57:02

If you need to avoid a ban then you should let the court know why/how it would adversely affect you. If you would lose your job, be demoted, be unable to undertake caring responsibilities etc, put that before the court as a reason for mitigation. A relative of mine got a fine of almost £1000 and 6pts after explaining to the court how a ban would have ramifications for his family. I think he was doing about 55mph in a 30 zone.

2birds1stone Fri 22-Feb-19 20:58:30

It's not unusual for the speed limits to change so drastically and so quickly.... doesn't make it right or safe.

Especially when it's dark or low light so harder to keep an eye on a small sign.

It is also dangerous to drive well below the speed limit as this can cause people to overtake out of frustration (which isn't right either)

Janecon Fri 22-Feb-19 21:00:09

By the way, I do hope you don't lose your licence. Mistakes happen.

Springwalk Fri 22-Feb-19 21:00:32

Def a court summons. Likely to be 6 points and fine, or short disqualification.
Why were you doing 60mph in a 30mph op. I would ponder that fact. Rather than how this will impact you personally.

MereDintofPandiculation Fri 22-Feb-19 21:00:38

A traffic cop once told me the discretion rule was 10% + 4, so going at 37mph in a 30 zone was up to the officers discretion, above this was a offence. Unfortunately vans don't allow that amount of discretion. 35 and above in a 30mph zone will net you 3 points or a speed awareness course.

bigsister951 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:02:29

You won’t get banned and you will probably find you were doing less than 6” as the will record the speed over a distance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »