Talk

Advanced search

Think I've been caught doing 60mph in a 30... what will happen

(256 Posts)
Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 22-Feb-19 20:30:24

So I'm likely to get flamed for this I know

I've been driving for 15 years. No convictions, no crashes. I'm generally very careful and a considerate road user

Today i was driving down a country lane that leads to the edge of a town. They are in the process of building a housing estate on the edge of the town and have now made it an immediate 30mph from a 60 as you come towards the edge of this new estate. I went through the 30 sign at 60, slowing down as I was going along. Then spotted a police van with a camera pointing out of the back of it sad just up the road

How much trouble am I in?

I was slowing down before I hit the urban bit, but I Definately was still doing 60 as I went through the 30 limit sign.

I'm so stressed i feel sick with worry.

If i lose my license i lose my job

havingtochangeusernameagain Fri 10-May-19 15:47:38

It's the kind of bit that everyone just sails through at a higher speed and slows down gradually

And you should absolutely be able to do this. Slamming your brakes on as you come into a 30 limit is more dangerous than slowing down naturally in my opinion, unless you are going downhill and won't slow down. There need to be countdown markers when there is a big difference in speed, rather than a sudden 30 limit when the road has been 50 or 60 beforehand. They have them in some areas but not all.

I'm glad it was all ok OP.

catofaragon Fri 10-May-19 17:37:06

I don't understand why so many people are saying that they are glad the OP got away with this.

Speed kills. I lost a family member and I wish I could show you photos of the injuries sustained.

contentedsoul Fri 10-May-19 19:40:44

With luck, we will eventually develop proper lasers, Speed cameras will then be able to simply vaporize offending motorists - problem solved instantly!

Shouldhavenotdonethat Fri 10-May-19 19:55:12

@Cato I'm really sorry to hear that.
I agree that speeding is inexcusable, it wasn't a built up area or anything, just the end of an A Road where they're starting to build a housing estate.

I was lucky but like I said, lesson learned and I will make sure I adhere to limits before I reach them in future.

Scorpvenus1 Tue 14-May-19 16:38:15

Double the speed limit, any speed limit normally incurs a instant ban?

that's what I thought, not sure on the money and points tbh

LadyRannaldini Tue 14-May-19 19:12:17

r you can pay to do speeding course
Unlikely for that speed and speed limit. The rule used to be a percentage of the limit plus a bit, OH did one, he was caught at 58 in a 50 area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »