Talk

Advanced search

AIBU regarding work?

(6 Posts)
ChatNicknameAlreadyInUse Fri 22-Feb-19 20:23:20

I'm employed as an office cleaner (not employed directly I work for an outside cleaning company) and have been with this office for 1 year. All has been great until a few months ago when 1 employee got a puppy. The puppy comes in to the office most days and suddenly my job is significantly harder. The hoovering takes ages as the hoover is pretty ineffective at picking up dog hair. The kitchen floor is covered in muddy paw prints. There's dog biscuit crumbs everywhere (plus remnants of things the pup has chewed/destroyed) I'm also coming out in an itchy rash constantly (always get it when I touch cats or dogs) so I'm guessing it's to do with the fur as I'm covered in it by the time I leave.

AIBU to think I should have been told/consulted about the pup coming in and asked if I'd be OK to clean up after it or is it part of my job and I should suck it up?

bridgetreilly Fri 22-Feb-19 20:41:15

I think I would have spoken to your employer about it and explained that it was now taking you much longer to clean the office. So either they need to start charging their client more (and passing it on to you) to cover the extra hours, or the client needs to be told that the dog is not acceptable. Also, they need to provide you with a better hoover, suitable for pet hair.

Hoopaloop Fri 22-Feb-19 20:51:42

How cute is it? Have you scratched it behind it's ears? Is it a good boy? Does it want a biscuit?

HouseOfGoldandBones Fri 22-Feb-19 20:56:22

I work for a commercial cleaning company, and we always tell our Cleaners to call us with any issues that prevent them from getting everything done within the time allocated.

It is then up to the Company to decide what to do.

And, if you are allergic, they do have a duty of care to you, so could you ask them if there is another contract you can transfer to?

WhenISnappedAndFarted Fri 22-Feb-19 20:56:46

I don't think they should have consulted with you, it's not up to you whether they have a dog or not.

If you aren't happy with it, speak to your boss. Maybe they could get a better hoover for you.

ScreamingValenta Fri 22-Feb-19 20:56:48

It's more common to be allergic to dander than hair. Have you seen your doctor about the rash? That's what would concern me most in your position.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »