Talk

Advanced search

Job interview cheeky f*ery

(121 Posts)
theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:21:00

About three months ago I interviewed for a very basic admin job at a start-up company.

I had to prepare an interview task beforehand and it was a newsletter pertaining to the start-up. The interview instructions said that the newsletter of the successful candidate would be used IRL once they were in post.

So, I prepared my newsletter, talked them through what I'd done. They seemed very happy with it and asked to keep it, which I said was fine.

I didn't get offered the job but got offered a much better one paying one third more for another company, so no hard feelings at all.

But along the line of applying and researching this company before interview I liked their facebook page. Today a new post has popped up with their first newsletter.

They've used my design. I don't mean it's a bit similar - they have wholesale copied every single party of my design - the colours, the layout, the articles...it's my piece of work!

Can anyone top that for CFery? I'm not saying it's illegal or anything and I'm sure it's my own fault for letting them keep my newsletter. But how rude?!

MitziK Fri 22-Feb-19 20:22:38

Email them with a copy of their original statement and attach an invoice for design/consultancy work?

lljkk Fri 22-Feb-19 20:23:13

You said they could keep it.
Should have paid you something for it, I agree.

TyrionsNextWife Fri 22-Feb-19 20:23:27

I don’t know the legalities of that, but it’s rude!! That’s not just a bit cheeky, it’s full on CFery!

ChikiTIKI Fri 22-Feb-19 20:25:37

That's so bad!! Especially as the 'successful candidate''s newsletter should have been used!!

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:25:51

"You said they could keep it."

Yes, I said that in the OP.

I assumed they wanted to discuss the design without my presents later on when they discussed my suitability as a candidate.

ChikiTIKI Fri 22-Feb-19 20:26:14

You should absolutely keep evidence of this and send them an invoice.

WildFlower2019 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:27:16

I'd assume you owned the copyright unless they can give you a reason why they own it?

Deffo consider invoicing!

SayNoToCarrots Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:01

Even if they don't pay it, sending the invoice calls out the CFery.

WildFlower2019 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:11

Oh hang on, if you said they could keep it, they must have thought it was ok to use

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:16

I have no idea how much I would invoice them for this?!

ThomasRichard Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:22

Yes it’s cheeky but I don’t think there’s anything you can do. Definitely comment on the post though! Something cheery about being glad they liked your design!

Treezylover Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:56

You own the copyright, send them a letter asking for damages.

Talkingfrog Fri 22-Feb-19 20:29:02

I can understand you bring miffed. Iwonder how the successful candidate feels, knowing that theirs hasn't been used.
It must be tempting not to comment along the lines of, 'I am glad you liked my work'

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:29:40

WildFlower2019 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:11
Oh hang on, if you said they could keep it, they must have thought it was ok to use

They didn't ask me if they could keep it to rip off the design - they asked for it on the basis that it would be used if I got the job. I didn't get the job. There was no other basis for them using it.

EggysMom Fri 22-Feb-19 20:31:00

Especially as the 'successful candidate''s newsletter should have been used

What successful candidate? I'm guessing they hired nobody but got half-a-dozen newsletter designs from which to choose!

stanski Fri 22-Feb-19 20:31:42

Definitely invoice them. It's not about the money but the principle.

Cheby Fri 22-Feb-19 20:32:39

Work out how many hours you spent on it, then invoice them at your new hourly rate (plus Employers’ NI contribution).

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:32:46

"Especially as the 'successful candidate''s newsletter should have been used

What successful candidate? I'm guessing they hired nobody but got half-a-dozen newsletter designs from which to choose!!!"

Surely not! That hadn't occurred to me...wow..

StealthPolarBear Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:43

Very cynical eggys, i wonder if you're right

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:46

I wonder was there really any "basic admin job" at all?
Or was it just a ruse to get several keen people to produce a range of potential newsletters for them?
The "successful candidate" might not be miffed as no one got the job!

RB68 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:53

Design work usually charged 30 to 40 an hr

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis Fri 22-Feb-19 20:34:04

That is bullshit on their part
Invoice them! (don't expect to get paid, but do it! A day's pay)

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 22-Feb-19 20:34:38

Snap! (slow typing here)

IPokeBadgers Fri 22-Feb-19 20:34:39

I fucking hate this behaviour during the recruitment process and YANBU!!!

Absolutely CFery....I feel for you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: