Talk

Advanced search

Job interview cheeky f*ery

(121 Posts)
theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:21:00

About three months ago I interviewed for a very basic admin job at a start-up company.

I had to prepare an interview task beforehand and it was a newsletter pertaining to the start-up. The interview instructions said that the newsletter of the successful candidate would be used IRL once they were in post.

So, I prepared my newsletter, talked them through what I'd done. They seemed very happy with it and asked to keep it, which I said was fine.

I didn't get offered the job but got offered a much better one paying one third more for another company, so no hard feelings at all.

But along the line of applying and researching this company before interview I liked their facebook page. Today a new post has popped up with their first newsletter.

They've used my design. I don't mean it's a bit similar - they have wholesale copied every single party of my design - the colours, the layout, the articles...it's my piece of work!

Can anyone top that for CFery? I'm not saying it's illegal or anything and I'm sure it's my own fault for letting them keep my newsletter. But how rude?!

MitziK Fri 22-Feb-19 20:22:38

Email them with a copy of their original statement and attach an invoice for design/consultancy work?

lljkk Fri 22-Feb-19 20:23:13

You said they could keep it.
Should have paid you something for it, I agree.

TyrionsNextWife Fri 22-Feb-19 20:23:27

I don’t know the legalities of that, but it’s rude!! That’s not just a bit cheeky, it’s full on CFery!

ChikiTIKI Fri 22-Feb-19 20:25:37

That's so bad!! Especially as the 'successful candidate''s newsletter should have been used!!

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:25:51

"You said they could keep it."

Yes, I said that in the OP.

I assumed they wanted to discuss the design without my presents later on when they discussed my suitability as a candidate.

ChikiTIKI Fri 22-Feb-19 20:26:14

You should absolutely keep evidence of this and send them an invoice.

WildFlower2019 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:27:16

I'd assume you owned the copyright unless they can give you a reason why they own it?

Deffo consider invoicing!

SayNoToCarrots Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:01

Even if they don't pay it, sending the invoice calls out the CFery.

WildFlower2019 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:11

Oh hang on, if you said they could keep it, they must have thought it was ok to use

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:16

I have no idea how much I would invoice them for this?!

ThomasRichard Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:22

Yes it’s cheeky but I don’t think there’s anything you can do. Definitely comment on the post though! Something cheery about being glad they liked your design!

Treezylover Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:56

You own the copyright, send them a letter asking for damages.

Talkingfrog Fri 22-Feb-19 20:29:02

I can understand you bring miffed. Iwonder how the successful candidate feels, knowing that theirs hasn't been used.
It must be tempting not to comment along the lines of, 'I am glad you liked my work'

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:29:40

WildFlower2019 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:11
Oh hang on, if you said they could keep it, they must have thought it was ok to use

They didn't ask me if they could keep it to rip off the design - they asked for it on the basis that it would be used if I got the job. I didn't get the job. There was no other basis for them using it.

EggysMom Fri 22-Feb-19 20:31:00

Especially as the 'successful candidate''s newsletter should have been used

What successful candidate? I'm guessing they hired nobody but got half-a-dozen newsletter designs from which to choose!

stanski Fri 22-Feb-19 20:31:42

Definitely invoice them. It's not about the money but the principle.

Cheby Fri 22-Feb-19 20:32:39

Work out how many hours you spent on it, then invoice them at your new hourly rate (plus Employers’ NI contribution).

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:32:46

"Especially as the 'successful candidate''s newsletter should have been used

What successful candidate? I'm guessing they hired nobody but got half-a-dozen newsletter designs from which to choose!!!"

Surely not! That hadn't occurred to me...wow..

StealthPolarBear Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:43

Very cynical eggys, i wonder if you're right

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:46

I wonder was there really any "basic admin job" at all?
Or was it just a ruse to get several keen people to produce a range of potential newsletters for them?
The "successful candidate" might not be miffed as no one got the job!

RB68 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:53

Design work usually charged 30 to 40 an hr

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis Fri 22-Feb-19 20:34:04

That is bullshit on their part
Invoice them! (don't expect to get paid, but do it! A day's pay)

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 22-Feb-19 20:34:38

Snap! (slow typing here)

IPokeBadgers Fri 22-Feb-19 20:34:39

I fucking hate this behaviour during the recruitment process and YANBU!!!

Absolutely CFery....I feel for you!

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:35:48

That's actually really p*ssd me of if it was a way of getting work for free.

I used to have quite a highly skilled marketing job and I'm just doing basic admin work now that fits around random hours while I retrain at Uni to be a paramedic.

I was more than capable of producing a very professional piece of work for them (and did so in good faith).

EatToTheBeet Fri 22-Feb-19 20:35:51

You said they could keep it to look at in order to see if you were the best candidate. Possibly to compare with other candidates. Not to have and use.

I’m on team invoice them!

HollowTalk Fri 22-Feb-19 20:36:51

That is terrible. You should definitely take this further.

highheelsandbobblehats Fri 22-Feb-19 20:36:59

Its plagiarism. Unless they've credited you as the original source, they're passing it off as their own. That is actually illegal.

(Source, currently working on my degree and have had it hammered into us, even taking something from informal discussions with other students is classed as plagiarism)

Justaboy Fri 22-Feb-19 20:38:24

Well look it it that there may be a better job come up them one day why piss them off over what really is a small matter and be proud that they did use it, could ask them for a credit on the work perhaps?.

ChasedByBees Fri 22-Feb-19 20:39:07

I would send a letter pointing out that you own the copyright and you did not give permission for this to be used by them. How long did it take to design? I’m on team invoice too.

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:39:49

"Justaboy Fri 22-Feb-19 20:38:24
Well look it it that there may be a better job come up them one day why piss them off over what really is a small matter"

I totally see your point here, but I;m not looking to be employed by them in the future, it's just a fill in job while I'm training for something else.

melissasummerfield Fri 22-Feb-19 20:39:58

I thought the same as @eggys straight away!
CF!!!

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:41:41

For those asking how long it took. To be honest, it's not like it was days - it was only a two sided newsletter - but I did put in about maybe 5 or 6 hours getting it just right.

It wasn't just the layout or design it was about thinking about who the audience was, what kind of articles should feature so there was quite a lot of creative thinking involved in terms of content.

TheInvestigator Fri 22-Feb-19 20:42:26

Comment underneath the post querying why they have published a piece of your work without permission, given that they had it in their possession for comparison with other applicants. They did not have it to use as marketing material.

highheelsandbobblehats Fri 22-Feb-19 20:42:40

Do you still have your original copy of the newsletter on your PC. If you invoice them, I'd attach a note explaining the consequences of plagiarism and that you will take it further should they not choose to settle this with you.
I was plagiarised many years ago. On a wedding forum, other brides to be anxious would chat about all manner of things. The magazine lifted many of our comments and placed them in the magazine under fictional names to create an article. Then they completely deleted the forum so that we couldn't prove it. All they had to do was put our real names under it. We'd have been chuffed.
I've been married 10 years. Still irks me.
Don't let them get away with it.

spatchcock Fri 22-Feb-19 20:42:40

I’m a content writer and never credited - it’s not plagiarism.

I am paid however. I would treat this as work and invoice accordingly. I charge £35/hour if that helps.

ChikiTIKI Fri 22-Feb-19 20:42:51

How long did it take you? If it was me and I had spent a few hours on something like that I would probably invoice them for about £200. It would be a decent amount while I would expect them to see it "worth it" in that if they pay it I wouldn't be taking it further or posting anything online about them stealing it.

I think I would send the invoice then follow up immediately with a phone call to make it clear I wasn't bluffing. I wouldn't post anything on Facebook unless they refused to pay.

highheelsandbobblehats Fri 22-Feb-19 20:43:48

But if you're paid, you're selling your content. This is theft of someone's intellectual property. The OP was not ask, informed, credited or paid. The company have simply passed the work off as their own.

ResistanceIsNecessary Fri 22-Feb-19 20:44:27

On the basis that you are training to be a paramedic then absolutely pull them up on it! Not like you'll want them for a job in the future.

I'd comment on the FB post and ask if they are planning to credit you and pay for the work that you did, seeing as they didn't bother to give you the job.

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:45:27

I'm not certain that they didn't appoint someone - I had a strong sense that they might have an internal candidate or someone they knew in mind because they were really keen on me at interview but seemed a bit torn and then didn't appoint me.

I'm wondering if they had someone who lacked skills in the newsletter area but was good otherwise and was who they wanted and they decided to fix the problem by stealing my work.

StealthPolarBear Fri 22-Feb-19 20:46:22

Yes chances were presumably low you'd ever find out

terfsandwich Fri 22-Feb-19 20:47:42

Intellectual property - if this meets the definition - only belongs to the company if they employ you.

ScrimshawTheSecond Fri 22-Feb-19 20:48:57

You own the copyright, and if you've not in writing sold them it, then it still belongs to you. But in practise I imagine this will be difficult to prove. Pretty shitty of them, though.

AuntMarch Fri 22-Feb-19 20:49:45

What absolute cheeky bastards!

whatsleep Fri 22-Feb-19 20:50:47

Contact them first, it’s more professional and you have the option to threaten to take it further if they don’t pay for your work. No point commenting on their page, they will be able to delete your comment!

BadAsMe Fri 22-Feb-19 20:51:51

Take screenshots before you invoice them in case they just delete the post. And join the Facebook group Stop Working For Free.

Tavannach Fri 22-Feb-19 20:53:16

Another saying invoice them. About £150.

JassyRadlett Fri 22-Feb-19 20:56:00

Cheeky fuckers. I’d drop them an email:

‘Hi X,

I wanted to follow up on the newsletter design I provided in my interview for Position on Date. As you know, I provided a copy for internal recruitment purposes only, with the agreement that it would only be used outside your organisation if I were successful in obtaining the post, as also specified in the job advertisement.

I was therefore surprised to see it being used with minimal amendment on your Facebook page, including my original design and copy.

I asssume this was used in error. However, if you would like to continue to use it, and to use the design for future newsletters, I am happy to enable this at my usual marketing freelance rate of £35/hour. The newsletter, being a first in a series, took six hours to produce.

If you’d prefer not to go forward with the newsletter design and copy I provided you with as part of the internal interview process, I will look forward to you removing it from all your public channels. To enable you to provide the alternative from your successful candidate, I am prepared to support a grace period of 48 hours, until close of business on Tuesday.

Kind regards
Ultimate

SilverBirchTree Fri 22-Feb-19 20:56:30

Screen shots.

And then absolutely send a letter and an invoice. How bloody dare they!

I've had a company do something similar to me. They advertised a position, mined people like myself for ideas during a long interview process and then didn't hire anyone...and I got to watch my ideas rolled out by them over the next six months.

It's a way to avoid paying consultant fees.

Send a letter saying you're glad they liked the newsletter, here is the invoice for it. You hope they use your services again in the future. Arseholes!

halfwitpicker Fri 22-Feb-19 20:58:58

This one takes the cake.

I'd be naming and shaming this startup, op. Wtaf.

knitandpearl Fri 22-Feb-19 21:01:39

this is common OP - ever read clientsfromhell.net?

crap behaviour from them though

BrightYellowDaffodil Fri 22-Feb-19 21:02:30

I agree completely with the letter @JassyRadlett suggested (excellent user name, by the way!)

They may well have asked if they could keep it, but that doesn't mean they could use it, reproduce it or publish it without your permission. The copyright/intellectual property is still yours and I'd absolutely ask the cheeky fuckers to pay for your work.

HennyPennyHorror Fri 22-Feb-19 21:02:44

I'm a freelance writer and I NEVER and I mean NEVER provide free samples.

Your body of work should be enough to show your worth.

If they can't judge you on that then they're lying and want free stuff. And who wants to work for liars?

WhiteDust Fri 22-Feb-19 21:04:11

Dear whoever,
It appears that you have used the incorrect newsletter to promote (blah blah).
You asked recent job candidates to prepare newsletters for interview on the understanding that the successful applicant would have theirs published. I was not the successful candidate and therefore you have published my work in error.
I do not give you permission to use my design under these circumstances. Kindly remove it from your website.
Yours ....

JassyRadlett Fri 22-Feb-19 21:05:15

I agree completely with the letter @JassyRadlett suggested (excellent user name, by the way!)

* bows * The best Radlett. (And someone had pinched Decca when I first joined....)

BettyCrockaShit Fri 22-Feb-19 21:06:29

Ex-Copywriter here. A very similar thing happened to me when I interviewed for a well-known shoe brand (the shoes were bloody horrible too). I was just out of university, had little by way of a portfolio, so was really grateful they invited me to interview.

They set a written task as part of the interview process, met with me three times, then didn’t offer me the job. (Fine by me in the end, the CEO was a nightmare.) Three weeks afterwards they used my piece on their website blog, word-for-word under the name ‘Staff Writer’. Contacted them multiple times asking for accreditation (at the least!) and they either fobbed me off or ignored my emails. Not sure if there is any recourse for you unless you had a contract in place (sometimes they pay you for the task and ask you to sign to say they ‘own’ the work). Still pisses me off when I think about it - I feel for you!

WeeDangerousSpike Fri 22-Feb-19 21:12:44

Absolute wankers! I'm on team invoice.

TheFatberg Fri 22-Feb-19 21:16:02

Loads of people in this twitter thread have experienced the same thing. Seems to be particularly common in new media.

twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1098168880604856320?s=19

longtimelurkerhelen Fri 22-Feb-19 21:20:54

Before you do anything, get screenshots of the work from their page. Then send the invoice. Highest level of cheeky fuckery.

BrightYellowDaffodil Fri 22-Feb-19 21:21:23

The best Radlett.

Who can not love the exclaiming!

<wanders off humming "Man's long agony in a lift shaft">

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 21:22:35

Bettycrocka, wow that feels even worse!

I don't feel to attached to the work as bottom line is it was just a newsletter, but it's more the fact that I think they've used my work to fill the deficit in the person they appointed instead of me?!

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 21:24:35

I think I'm also pissed off because the work they do is kind of hybrid third sector and bills itself as quite worthy and ethical.

But not ethical enough to respect me, who worked hard and delivered in good faith.

Asta19 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:25:53

This puts me in mind of the time I was doing a media course. Our tutor very proudly told us how he had done work for the BBC in the past. He set us an assignment, create a game show, story board it etc. I did, and I got a B. 6 months later I saw my exact show on the BBC! I couldn’t believe it. Ok, it was only on in the daytime and only lasted 6 months and was not popular. But still! How could he give me a B for something he sold! Bastard.

Gruzinkerbell1 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:29:30

Invoice the CFs

and name and shame so we can all post outraged comments on their FB page on your behalf

EvaHarknessRose Fri 22-Feb-19 21:29:48

Asta that’s shocking, you should sue.

RhymingRabbit Fri 22-Feb-19 21:30:26

Definitely comment under the post on facebook. And sent the e-mail suggested above. Cheeky fuckers.

EnglishRose13 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:32:28

@Asta19

What was the show?!

Bishalisha Fri 22-Feb-19 21:33:13

Do you have a copy of the email mentioning the requirements to prepare for the interview (the newsletter)? I’d post a screen grab of that as a response to the newsletter being posted and say that you’re glad they were pleased with your newsletter, regardless of the unsuccessful outcome and that your invoice will be sent in X days and payment terms are X

Justaboy Fri 22-Feb-19 21:33:35

I totally see your point here, but I;m not looking to be employed by them in the future, it's just a fill in job while I'm training for something else.

Right got that! mind you id they like what your doing perhaps some part time work to be had;?.

Mind ytou if they are a start up they may not have relised what they've done whereas on another occasion perhaps different?.

IDoN0tCare Fri 22-Feb-19 21:37:00

I’m still bitter about my teacher at primary school getting us to write a ghost story, then entering in a children’s writing competition, under his DAUGHTER’S name. My fucking story won and she was able to pick a toy to the value of £20! This was fourty years ago and I was growing up in absolute poverty. Fucking arsehole.

BettyCrockaShit Fri 22-Feb-19 21:37:06

@theultimatehousekeeper urgh, if they're billing themselves as ethical, that makes it so much more disappointing/ infuriating! At least I knew my lot were awful pretty much from the outset.

Hope you manage to get peace of mind however you decide to pursue this one!

Asta19 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:43:42

As I say, it wasn’t popular, it was called “the alphabet game” in my assignment I called it “A-Z” but every single detail was the same and my assignment was submitted 6 months before it aired. This was many years ago now but i’ve realised it still annoys me a bit!

notanothernam Fri 22-Feb-19 21:46:34

You own the copyright, there is (presumably) no licence to say you've passed the copyright to them so you'd be within your rights to raise it with them. If you were a graphic designer or the like I'd definitely say something.

notanothernam Fri 22-Feb-19 21:47:18

And just to add you saying they could keep it is not you signing over the intellectual property!!

MintCassis Fri 22-Feb-19 21:47:44

It's possible the person they hired wasn't up to the job. I had a similar experience.

One of the interview questions was what would you do to raise engagement (marketing job). I made four suggestions based on having spent time exploring and analysing their website. They wrote all the suggestions down but I didn't get the job. A few weeks later all four changes had been made (things like placement of a particular video from their YouTube on a certain web page and reorganising stories into named groupings so very specific recommendations).

After a month they got back in touch to say they were re-advertising the post and they strongly urged me to apply, turns out the person they hired oversold themselves and they couldn't actually do anything they promised. I didn't apply as they never gave me any feedback from the interview when I requested it yet they clearly had enough time to go through all my answers and implement them!

Jux Fri 22-Feb-19 21:49:27

I think for 6 hours of work you could easily ask for 300 quid - easily.

mumwon Fri 22-Feb-19 21:51:48

hmm minimum wage hours worked unpaid - I wonder if HMRC would be interested????? its a bit like working for nothing I would ring HMRC & ask?? maybe the company has a history

HennyPennyHorror Fri 22-Feb-19 21:55:53

I think for 6 hours of work you could easily ask for 300 quid - easily.

No you couldn't. The fact is that it shouldn't take a professional 5 or 6 hours to write a newsletter.

topcat2014 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:56:27

You own the copyright in the work - you were not employed by them at the time, so they cannot imply that they own the copyright.

Send them an invoice - CFs...

Jux Fri 22-Feb-19 22:00:44

I wonder if each candidate was asked to bring a different piece of work and they're getting all their marketing done for free!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Fri 22-Feb-19 22:02:54

@Asta19

You must have been raging. I don't remember the original showing of it on the BBC, but if Wikipedia has it right, it looks like it was made for the BBC by ITV studios, who then sued a Spanish TV company for ripping off the (YOUR) idea!! shock

I believe that's what's known as chutzpah.

WP says it was recently remade as 'Alphabetical', which I do remember watching and enjoying.

Well done, anyway - fuming on your behalf angry

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 22-Feb-19 22:07:32

(Retired) employer / recruitment of many years here. Sadly this is one of the oldest tricks in the book and eggys is right that there may not have been any job; instead they probably used the "interview process" to source what they wanted on the cheap - the giveaway being the bit about using a piece in RL

Since you had no formal agreement there's no point at all in taking it further as they'll just laugh. Much better, frustrating as it is, to use this to avoid similar traps in future, remembering that *you're^ the real winner because a decent company's recognised your worth with a better offer

Asta19 Fri 22-Feb-19 22:10:28

Thanks! I think the biggest kicker for me was getting a B for it! I should have at least got an A! I think if the internet had been around in those days, and I had access to it. I would have definitely taken it further but back in the 90s I was a bit stumped of, well who do I contact? What do I say? Etc etc. So I just left it. Funnily enough I did not end up working in the media either, went into something else entirely different. But who knows what could have been!

theultimatehousekeeper Fri 22-Feb-19 22:10:58

"No you couldn't. The fact is that it shouldn't take a professional 5 or 6 hours to write a newsletter."

This is true.

It took me so long because I had to research the company and understand exactly how they marketed themselves etc first, to work out who the target audience would be etc.

Newsletters in places I already work take me a couple of hours max - because I know all of that already. SO a lot of it was researching the business, which I would have done for the interview anyway.

I actually thought it was a very good interview task for ascertaining what clients understood of the business, so didn't mind doing it as it was research plus putting skills into practice.

I'm surprised they have to steal a simple newsletter idea, though, it's hardly high level marketing.

notanothernam Fri 22-Feb-19 22:16:53

The fact they didn't have a formal agreement goes against the company, not the op, they have infringed her copyright and the law makes it clear the emphasis is on the user to prove permission, she could quite easily take them to court (which is probably the only thing she could do as they're likely to ignore an invoice) and she'd have a strong case I believe, but I very much doubt it would be worth the money and effort as the impact is low in the scheme of things. I think a social media post would be the most effective response if it didn't jeopardise your current job!

tempester28 Fri 22-Feb-19 22:25:58

Did anyone get the job?

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 22-Feb-19 22:26:44

I'm surprised they have to steal a simple newsletter idea, though, it's hardly high level marketing

You're right it's not - but it might seem pretty high level to them, if they lack both the ability to do it themselves and the wit to employ the right staff to do it for them

They've already lost a good potential staff member in yourself, and since most new companies fail within a few years their attitude may well put them among that number ... which might well be some small satisfaction wink

OffWithThePixies Fri 22-Feb-19 22:46:18

I wonder if it’s the same company I interviewed for... My interview pretask was to prepare/create a PowerPoint presentation deck eg design the template from scratch. They replied that they liked ‘aspects of it’ but wanted ‘to see a stronger demonstration of (my) skills’ so asked a template for website and recommendations for redesigning their website . This was mid recession, so I did it. He said he’d be in touch after his business trip.... I followed it up twice but no reply. A few months later saw their new website using my templates (including my details in the source code), with their recent presentations on one tab, usually the deck is designed. It was liquidated in 2017 grin Karma

MatildaTheCat Fri 22-Feb-19 22:49:06

We visited the cathedral at Lucca last year. The external facade is supported by a series of huge marble pillars (bear with me). Anyway the story goes that when the architects were commissioning the building they invited candidates to supply a marble pillar of their own design and work, the winner of these would be appointed to carve and supply all of the pillars.

So, the CF commissioners used ALL of the submissions and didn’t pay a penny for the entire works all of which was a minor masterpiece. Nobody was the winner of that particular interview. Although obviously their work has been appreciated ever since but I assume they were all asking their friends, ‘AIBU?’ smile

I’m in team bill them.

WeeDangerousSpike Fri 22-Feb-19 23:10:09

As you are no longer interested in working for them and they are all about 'ethics' I'd publicly shame the fuckers.

Not only a pithy comment on their post but also a post tagging them / on their wall, whichever it is that they can't just delete.

I'd think any potential clients would be interested in their grasp of ethics.

MitziK Fri 22-Feb-19 23:46:29

By the way, this is why I always imbed my details into any work. Nobody's nicking my work without paying for it.

OrigamiZoo Fri 22-Feb-19 23:57:58

Tv companies do this - interview people, tasK to come up with a new idea for a tv programme, then they nick the ideas.

Invoice them!

ionlylovemybedandmymama Sat 23-Feb-19 01:05:54

I agree with the public shaming. Comment on their post and then post your own post on their page with a screenshot of your work. And give them a serve about ethics.

And then leave them poor reviews on Facebook and google.

FruminousBandersnatch Sat 23-Feb-19 03:02:49

"By the way, this is why I always imbed my details into any work. Nobody's nicking my work without paying for it."

How would you do that in a newsletter?

7salmonswimming Sat 23-Feb-19 03:48:55

Start-ups piss me off. First off, people who say they’re “running a start-up”, “working at a start-up” are almost always wanker hipster types, in their 20s or early 30s, with an over-inflated idea of their abilities and the marketplace’s interest in their product/service.

Secondly, when they realise just how tough it is to build and maintain a profitable business, they start pulling stunts like this. Eventually, they down-grade to non-profits or “side-gigs” before they throw in the towel entirely (often without saying anything, complete opposite of how they wouldn’t shut up about their idea at the outset) and you hear no more about the thing they were so “passionate” about 12 months ago.

Thirdly, they sneer at regular employees holding down traditional/ non-“entrepreneurial” jobs, tending to think they’re suckers whereas they’re the Second fucking Coming/Steve Jobs.

Gah. Plus, they all drink water from S’well bottles, think they discovered nut milks, and eat far to many avocados.

RebootYourEngine Sat 23-Feb-19 04:33:45

Cheeky fuckers. I'm on team invoice.

ChikiTIKI Sat 23-Feb-19 06:43:05

I think you should be charging them whatever you like. If they wanted to negotiate on the fee they should have done that before taking your work!!!

ButterflyWitch Sat 23-Feb-19 07:01:14

You really should stand up for yourself- agree with PP that you did not give permission for this to be used in this context. Send the letter PP drafted, threaten with small claims if they ignore. And ask Facebook to delete the content? And if it took 6 hours for you to create them that’s what you bill them for!!!

StealthPolarBear Sat 23-Feb-19 07:11:08

The teacher who submitted a pupil's story as his dd's to a competition shock
I do like the pillars story though smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »