Advanced search

Left freezer door open ...

(14 Posts)
Kab30 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:06:28

Accidentally left freezer door ajar ...is everything ruined xx

Kab30 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:07:28

To degree lollipops defrosted ...oooops

PickAChew Fri 22-Feb-19 19:13:41

Any meat that has defrosted can be cooked then refrozen. Anything already cooked and defrosted, eat ASAP, if you can. If it's still hard, it's fine staying in the freezer. Except that year old pack of pork chops that's probably freezer burnt, anyhow and you've only got them because someone picked them up yellow stickered for 75p.

Just me, then?

Kab30 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:16:57

Lmao....not just you xx what about frozen chips ...nuggets...fish...healthy lot eh lol x

Houseonahill Fri 22-Feb-19 19:18:19

I would bin anything that has started to defrost and you can't cook now and refereeze so things like chips and nuggets would go sorry

SpringForEver Fri 22-Feb-19 19:25:12

Cook anything that is completely thawed and eat your way through it, keep it in the fridge cooked. It is possible to re-heat quite a lot once it is cooked. If there is a lot you could offer it on Freegle or Freecycle, someone might be grateful for a meal or 2.

I have been known to put stuff back in the freezer that I have taken out for a while and not needed. No-one has been ill because of it, besides it would be cooked anyway. I do feed people with cast iron stomachs though.

saj90 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:25:11

I wouldn't trust any of it to be honest, I've had this before and binned the lot. It's rubbish but better safe than sorry. Especially with meat!

Missingstreetlife Fri 22-Feb-19 19:26:32

How long for? Meat and fish cook and refreeze if it has thawed, if not just use fairly quickly. Use cooked items over next two days or so. Any non meat or fish can refreeze, or cook and refreeze but won't be as nice, eat what you can asap. Why should nuggets and chips go, unless door was open for ages, just use them up.

BlackeyedGruesome Fri 22-Feb-19 19:29:36

How cold is it. Fridge cold? then cook. Maybe get rid of some of the stuff at the front near the door but keep stuff that is still frozen. Cook the cold stuff or store in the fridge and use asap.

Kab30 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:34:19

It didn't totally defrost as still lots of ice in it x thanks x

motherheroic Fri 22-Feb-19 19:40:44

I've accidentally left my freezer open for over 15 hours. Everything defrosted. I just closed the freezer because I am in no position to replace a freezer full of food. This was months ago, not dead yet.

CloserIAm2Fine Fri 22-Feb-19 19:41:13

It’d stuff is still frozen then it’s fine (assuming it’s not had chance to refreeze yet)

If stuff is partially defrosted then cook and eat what you can, any raw meat get it cooked into something (stew, curry, chillk etc)

CloserIAm2Fine Fri 22-Feb-19 19:42:20

Ugh hit post to soon

If you have raw meat and cook it into something you can then refreeze it

But can’t refreeze it without cooking it if its partially defrosted and can’t refreeze stuff that’s already cooked

MaybeitsMaybelline Fri 22-Feb-19 19:44:26

The only time I chucked the defrosted frozen food was when the chest freezer in the garage broke, I seriously had no idea how long it had been defrosted for. It could have been a week.

A door left ajar in the kitchen, yeh I just shut it and hope for the best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »