Talk

Advanced search

Thomas Cook, robbing b*stards!

(83 Posts)
tillytoodles1 Fri 22-Feb-19 18:45:09

My DH passed away after we'd booked holiday flights, so I offered it to my brother. TC want £100 admin charge per name change and another £47 as the seat prices have gone up.

mkmo Fri 22-Feb-19 20:17:18

trust me, go to the daily mail and you will get a full refund plus compensation

fluffiphlox Fri 22-Feb-19 20:18:43

Obviously it’s very unfortunate but would it still be a good deal for your brother and his family do you think? I think it’s fairly standard practice to charge for changes.

Murphypoint Fri 22-Feb-19 20:21:42

I am very sorry to hear about your husband but one of the first things you should have done is buy insurance. It’s so important.

rumptifizzer Fri 22-Feb-19 20:24:48

Did he have insurance on his bank account or anything like that. Check house insurance etc to see if he was covered like that.

namechangedforholidaystory Fri 22-Feb-19 20:27:59

So I've name changed for this because journalists are hated here, but I'm a genuine user (and have never used MN for a story).

If you want me to, I can put some pressure on. Totally privately, no need for an article (tho obvs happy to do one if you're cross and think they deserve to be shamed).

But if it would help I can have a word and will threaten if necessary because this is appalling behaviour.

Brightburn Fri 22-Feb-19 20:31:08

You need to post on their facebook/Twitter... They'll soon change their tune! I've done it for other big name companies.

MiceSqueakCatsMeow Fri 22-Feb-19 20:32:23

Thomas Cook are the worst. They took our booking for our holiday this year in August in Italy in August last year. Rang up a couple of days ago to tell us they don't have a contract with the hotel anymore or any hotel in the Sorrento area as the hotels have gone with tui. How can they have taken our booking and money when they must have known?
I looked up Thomas Cook and their share prices dropped massively in December. They are something like £389 billion pounds in debt. There were some stories that they want to sell their airline.
They have to give us the money back as it's the law.
I think considering the amount that they are in debt that they will be grabbing money where they can get it. Can you cancel and get a full refund?
I'm sorry for the loss of your husband.thanks

MmaMakutsi Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:06

Nice offer namechanged - I hope the OP takes you up on it. Holiday companies need to stop this shit and the sooner the better - it's blatant profiteering and usually on the back of some poor sod's bereavement or other misfortune. Shocking behaviour.

BrizzleMint Fri 22-Feb-19 20:37:41

Did you agree to the terms and conditions when you booked?

Haffiana, did you agree to be a dick when you signed up to mumsnet?

Dutch1e Fri 22-Feb-19 20:39:57

@BrizzleMint

gringrin

southnownorth Fri 22-Feb-19 20:41:38

Some of these holiday companies are twats.

Tweet them, they need publicly shaming.

Sorry for your loss OP.

Ooplesandbanoonoos Fri 22-Feb-19 20:41:54

Sorry for your loss.
In a kind of similar situation a friend emailed head office/ director of company directly and the issue was swiftly resolved. Try shaming on social media.

MmaMakutsi Fri 22-Feb-19 20:42:33

Well said Brizzle

Thadeus Fri 22-Feb-19 20:50:54

OP - I have a contact in TC, let me see if I can help.

legolimb Fri 22-Feb-19 20:52:07

I would take it higher up the chain OP.

I am sure that TC don't want bad publicity for the sake of the cost of a few flights.

Slippiepippie Fri 22-Feb-19 20:53:12

What is appalling about that?

I am sorry for your late husband but unfortunately they are not. They are a multi million pound business why would they change the rules for someones husband dying...

Weepatchesoflove Fri 22-Feb-19 20:53:37

I’m sorry for your loss OP and for everyone else who has/has had this problem too.
That’s really good of you namechangedforholidaystory it’s nice to hear of people doing nice stuffs, just because they can.

kateclarke Fri 22-Feb-19 20:59:03

Some people on this thread have had a serious empathy bypass.

I’m so sorry for your loss op.

Thadeus Fri 22-Feb-19 21:00:57

@tillytoodles1 I have sent you a private message

eternalopt Fri 22-Feb-19 21:02:57

Apologies it's a daily fail link, but shows that if they get enough bad press, they'll change their mind.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3181069/Bride-s-disgust-Thomas-Cook-mother-dies-firm-refuses-refund-trip-d-booked-Greek-wedding.html

Twitter is your friend here. And local papers etc

Yumsnet Fri 22-Feb-19 21:03:27

I think it was Thomas Cook who was involved in the case with the 2 children dying of carbon monoxide poisoning in Corfu..? And it took them ages to apologise etc.

Sorry to hear they are still heartless bastards.

And so sorry for your loss flowers

PlatypusPie Fri 22-Feb-19 21:06:31

Just a bizarre coincidence I know but had coffee with a group of friends today and 3 out of the 5 of us were formally complaining about recent dreadful experiences with Thomas Cook ! One arrived back yesterday from a holiday in what was essentially a building site, with no pool.

Thadeus Fri 22-Feb-19 21:10:50

Speak with your travel agent, they have the nesesary form that you fill in and then the fees are waived.

macaroniandpizza Fri 22-Feb-19 21:13:39

So sorry for your loss op. I really hope that thomas cook do the decent thing here

Gth1234 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:16:18

I would either pay the money, or just let it go.
It won't be the end of the world, and I am sure you have other priorities.
Is it just flights, or is this part of a much larger holiday arrangement?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »