Talk

Advanced search

to think bikini bottom sizes are wrong?

(25 Posts)
newcamper Fri 22-Feb-19 18:41:39

Okay. I've not got the smallest derriere but whenever I try bikini bottoms on, they always look way undersized. I'm a size 14 on my bottom half and a 16 in bikinis can make me look like a stringed ham.

I don't know whether it is just me and my bum is actually ridiculously big compared to others so I just want honest experiences. No offence will be taken.

Does anyone know what asda sizes are like? Seen some online really cheap but quite nice. Want to order while I can still get the right sizes on top & bottom. Don't know whether to order a 16 or 18.

AnyFucker Fri 22-Feb-19 18:44:58

I always size up in bikini bottoms.

My usual size digs in massively on the hips, always

HoHoHolyCow Fri 22-Feb-19 18:48:00

Yup, I'm with you! I'm a size 8 in clothes, but would always go for a 12 in bikini bottoms! I remember the bad old days when you had to buy a 'set' both in the same size - nightmare!

Order both sizes and return the ones that don't fit. Or if they both fit ok then keep one pair as a spare!

gubbsywubbsy Fri 22-Feb-19 18:48:49

I always size up with bikini bottoms and knickers

MayFayner Fri 22-Feb-19 18:51:25

I find this with knickers. I’m a size 8-10 but always a 12 in knickers.

Kochicoo Fri 22-Feb-19 18:53:49

Usually size up in Asda bikini bottoms.

thecatsthecats Fri 22-Feb-19 19:37:54

I think it's partly because unlike most clothes items, there's less option to "compensate" for a different body shape with so little fabric.

Like, they design them for a certain hip and undercarriage shape, but any variation in size takes up more fabric? Maybe knickers should be as specific as bras?

SayNoToCarrots Fri 22-Feb-19 19:43:29

It's because your extra arse can escape, but it can't in clothing with more coverage. I also go up 2 sizes. And also wear what are basically small cycling shorts to accomodate my extra top thigh.

IdaBWells Fri 22-Feb-19 19:50:05

Over the years a lot of vanity sizing has happened. When I was in my teens and twenties in the 1980s a size 10 was very small, I still have some Next trousers from that period size 10 that would be a much, much smaller size now - maybe a 6? I live outside the country now and when I return to the UK and go shopping I can still buy 10s and 12s but I am much bigger than then! I am not huge but I was 8.5 stone when I wore those trousers in the 80s and now I am 11 stone! So obviously my measurements have changed. I wonder if underwear has been one of the items that has stayed true to size and not changed to flatter shoppers?

chocolateroses Fri 22-Feb-19 19:54:04

YES. I am a size 12 but knickers and bikini bottoms I get a size 14! Xx

newcamper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:21:43

Yes. Maybe they've not changed. I used to like the 90s high leg as lengthened my short legs a bit but current high leg bottoms really are not high at all.

While we're on the subject, knickers for big bums???

I've tried so many styles but I either get wedgied or the VPL is so bad I am embarrassed (that's usually with shorts styles) so I still wear thongy styles.

chocolateroses Fri 22-Feb-19 20:24:54

@newcamper after giving birth a couple of times with bad tears my thong wearing days are long gone. Bikini style comfy cotton briefs from M&S all the way for me. My hubby isa lucky man!

Peachesandcream15 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:27:40

I always find they cut bikini bottoms very high on the butt cheek. You can't find anything with more coverage so you have to size up.

ketchupormayo Fri 22-Feb-19 20:28:54

I always get either 1 or 2 sizes bigger than I am on bottoms. Buying bikini bottoms is the worst

littlepeas Fri 22-Feb-19 20:29:35

I have problems with this too. I have to size up to a 16 (from a 12) to prevent them digging in at the hips, but then they are all loose around the legs and bum and I’m in danger of flashing!

newcamper Fri 22-Feb-19 20:33:02

@chocolateroses do they travel up your bum during the day or stay put?

@littlepeas the flashing problem is real

@Peachesandcream15 Yes! I want big bum coverage but a higher hip...not this almost a thong, Love Island nonsense!

chocolateroses Fri 22-Feb-19 20:35:02

@newcamper stay put. They are just comfy, no lace or pretty bits.

HeronLanyon Fri 22-Feb-19 20:36:20

Always yes ! I am an 8 or 10. Last summer I ended up in 14 cos the thigh elastic was tight otherwise ! I am pretty much in proportion ie don’t have suddenly out of proportion thighs. Ffs.

GlitterPixie Fri 22-Feb-19 20:48:30

I always go up two sizes in bikini bottoms. They are all ridiculously cut away on the front lately too

chillpizza Fri 22-Feb-19 21:07:04

I always thought it was me. My bum eats bikini bottoms and my underwear but the rest of the fit is perfect hmm men must of designed them.

thedevilinablackdress Fri 22-Feb-19 21:11:54

Bikini bottoms in general are wrong. Why am I walking about in my pants??

DropZoneOne Fri 22-Feb-19 21:24:58

Yup and knickers, at least one size up to be remotely comfortable.

ForalltheSaints Fri 22-Feb-19 21:45:24

Clothing sizes are generally wrong and have been subject to size inflation over the years.

sulflower Fri 22-Feb-19 22:02:35

I'm the odd one out, I wear my regular size in bikini bottoms. Most of my bikinis are Fantasie and for me are true to size. For knickers I wear smooth lines shorts from M&S or an equivalent.

babysharkah Fri 22-Feb-19 23:48:11

I pay no attention to size in anything. I buy what fits which varies massively even in the same shop eg in m and s I need a 12 skirt but 16 knickers or swimsuit. Tight elastic doesn't look good!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »