Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had their concert tickets cancelled by the organiser?

(88 Posts)
honeymum78 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:10:03

We have bought tickets for a concert on viagogo and DH has read that some events are not allowing viagogo customers and are cancelling their tickets. How is this is fair! We paid good money for these tickets and don’t see why some venues think its ok to do this? Has anyone had this happen to them?

Doyoumind Fri 22-Feb-19 17:13:48

Surely you're aware of the issues around these ticket reselling sites? If you had looked at official ticket sellers you would probably have seen warnings. Tickets get bought up in bulk and sold at inflated prices. Some musicians don't want fans paying over the odds and for resellers to make the profit.

HarperIsBazaar Fri 22-Feb-19 17:14:23

its because they’re ticket touts who are being taken to court by the asa for breaching consumer protection laws.

Iruka Fri 22-Feb-19 17:15:54

The only time I have heard of this happening is when viagogo wasn’t an authorised reseller. They are just touts.

I always try to buy directly from the venue

Flurgle Fri 22-Feb-19 17:19:47

Try Victims of Viagogo on Facebook- lots of help and advice there.
They are crap and we got ripped off by them ages ago.

Walkingdeadfangirl Fri 22-Feb-19 17:21:01

You bought a dodgy ticket from a dodgy website. Good on the organiser for not accepting this scam. Next time you should know better and buy your tickets from the authorised vendors. Claim the loss from your credit card company's insurance.

honeymum78 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:21:37

We had no choice. The tickets sold out within minutes and so otherwise wouldn't have been able to go any other way. I just don't think concert organisers have the right to turn people away.

FlossieTeacakesFurCoat18 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:22:37

They sold out because ticket touts bought them though...

Redglitter Fri 22-Feb-19 17:25:23

Hopefully with venues cracking down on reselling tickets itll mean more tickets available at the face value to real fans.

Yabbers Fri 22-Feb-19 17:25:27

The choice, as always, is not to buy from ticket touts.

The choice is also, as always, so some research before buying anything online. The viagogo story has been doing the rounds for a good long time now.

Doyoumind Fri 22-Feb-19 17:25:33

The tickets sell out quickly and a large proportion end up on these sites. These sites are part of why they sell out so quickly through official channels and people have to pay more for a ticket that may not get them in. Turning people away is the only way to clamp down on these touts. I'm sorry you lost your money and the chance to go.

LoudBatPerson Fri 22-Feb-19 17:25:59

We had no choice. The tickets sold out within minutes and so otherwise wouldn't have been able to go any other way. I just don't think concert organisers have the right to turn people away.

The tickets sell out so quickly because touts buy them up as they know people will ignore the warning and buy them from re-sellers.

If people would spot buying from touts (and the services they use such as Viagogo), then the tickets wouldn't sell out so quickly.

I do have sympathies if you miss out on a show you really want to see, however, surely you can see that using services like this creates the demand for touts to buy up tickets in bulk and it turns into a vicious circle.

Venues are trying to stop it happening, now to totally break the cycle, people need to stop buying tickets from that type of site.

Many official vendors now have means for genuine customers to sell on tickets if they cannot attend.

Hoppinggreen Fri 22-Feb-19 17:27:14

You did have a choice, they were concert tickets, nothing essential for life
Unfortunately now a lot of artists don’t want touts buying tickets and selling them on at profit so they stipulate only tickets bought from official sellers are valid. So in that case venues absolutely do have the right to turn people away
The choice you had was to not buy tickets or risk buying them from a site that might not be selling valid tickets and you being turned away from the venue

backaftera2yearbreak Fri 22-Feb-19 17:29:10

I bought tickets from viagogo for the Rolling Stones. No issues getting in at all. Scanned the tickets on the machine on the way in. No where on the ticket said where it was bought from.

PettyContractor Fri 22-Feb-19 17:30:20

I don't understand the concept of ticket touts. I mean, I know what they do, I just don't understand why anyone thinks there is something wrong with it. If what they did didn't serve an economic purpose, they wouldn't be able to make a living. There may be some scope for the original sellers of the tickets to up their game so that they get better prices for tickets, but once they've done that, if touts are still able to make a living, then it's because the original seller would rather get the security of less money earlier than more money later.

In the probably exceptional case where the original seller does not want to maximise revenue, and wants to keep down the price paid by the end-buyer, then they need to introduce a last minute lottery element into the way they make sales. Or just make it impossible for the tickets to be transferred.

Mandyfir Fri 22-Feb-19 17:32:37

I agree with @honeymum78 why should you not be able to buy a ticket through another site? Reselling tickets is legal. Concert organisers just want to control where we buy tickets from.

Iruka Fri 22-Feb-19 17:34:29

*I just don't think concert organisers have the right to turn people away.*

Viagogo breached the t&cs by reselling the tickets, so the venue is completely entitled.

Not every venue has the same t&cs which is why it’s often just fine

Hwory Fri 22-Feb-19 17:34:48

All venues should do this! Then all the ticket touts and resellers would disappear and all the tickets for stuff wouldn’t sell out in 3 minutes of release.

honeymum78 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:35:16

That's good to hear. We haven't been yet so hope all will be fine. DH will be furious if we get turned away. If we do, I'll be really angry with the venue for turning us away.

Doyoumind Fri 22-Feb-19 17:36:12

It means tickets become more unaffordable to many. Touts have bought up the originally priced ones, limiting those sold to genuine fans. Only people who can afford it can pay to get them from touts. It's exploitative and often there are checks in place to ensure people who bought directly get in but it's not made clear when they are re-sold.

backaftera2yearbreak Fri 22-Feb-19 17:37:19

If you don’t need ID with the tickets and you get the tickets the person originally bought I can’t see how they could possibly know where they came from. What concert is it for?

TidyDancer Fri 22-Feb-19 17:37:23

Viagogo is an exceptionally dodgy site tbf, surely you realised this? I can appreciate it may be disappointing for you if you don't get to go but I applaud organisers for clamping down on this company.

Mandyfir Fri 22-Feb-19 17:38:43

@backaftera2yearbreak I did the same for the Rolling Stones and we were fine.

Walkingdeadfangirl Fri 22-Feb-19 17:41:06

The tickets sold out within minutes and so otherwise wouldn't have been able to go any other way
What a silly excuse. If you choose to break the rules then dont be surprised if you are punished. The venue has every right to refuse a dodgy ticket.

Penguincake Fri 22-Feb-19 17:41:11

You have ignored everything that everyone has said and are still blaming the venue. Why ask if you have no intention of acknowledging people's responses?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: