Talk

Advanced search

To ask about your portion size

(9 Posts)
IceIceCoffee Fri 22-Feb-19 15:13:37

I feel like I have totally lost sight of what a normal portion is, those of you that manage this can you show or tell me your average portion size,
I feel miserable and need to do something Thank you!

halfwitpicker Fri 22-Feb-19 15:15:07

Which foods?

LoudBatPerson Fri 22-Feb-19 15:16:22

Without knowing the food it is hard to say. Obviously, a portion of cheese is very different to a portion of carrots.

IceIceCoffee Fri 22-Feb-19 15:20:35

I just mean meals in general I know obviousoly different foods are different portion sizes but I just need to get the genral gist of a well balanced meal.

LoudBatPerson Fri 22-Feb-19 15:32:56

Ah ok, well if it helps here are the dinners I have had the last few days. I would say they are OK, not the best but roughly balanced.

1 medium chicken breast grilled with a cajun rub, boiled new potatoes, probably 5 ish smaller ones, and the rest of the plate filled up with salad leaves, tomatoes and peppers (I don't limit how many vegetables I eat).

Three egg omelette with a small sprinkling of cheese (half a handful?) and a handful of gammon pieces. I had that with salad and a single crusty roll spread thinly with butter.

1 salmon fillet, brown rice (I would estimate enough to fill a teacup when cooked), with green beans and carrots, again I do not limit these.

I would say as a rough guide I probably have carbs as up to a quarter or so of a plate, protein maybe a third of a plate or so and the rest tends to be veg, maybe with a very small amount of dairy.

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 22-Feb-19 15:34:04

The size of your clenched fist in total.

PutyourtoponTrevor Fri 22-Feb-19 15:35:28

I split my small dinner plate half veg, quarter protein, quarter carbs -

feelingverylazytoday Fri 22-Feb-19 15:35:59

Pasta, rice, potatoes - 75gs
Cheese - 30gs
Oil/butter - I tsp per serving
Peas and other high calorie veg - approx 80gs.
Low calorie veg like cabbage, lettuce etc, eat as much as I like
Sandwich - 2 slices of wholemeal bread
1 - 2 eggs
I small tin of mackerel
3- 4 fishfingers
Porridge - I pre mix my oats, sultanas and a tin of skim milk powder then use 5-6 tablespoons and add water and 1 ts p sugar
Half a tin of baked beans.

FissionChip5 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:38:40

Proteins= single cooked chicked breast size.
Vegetable= size of you’re hand when fingers spread out.
Carbs= palm size .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »