Talk

Advanced search

To think they could have sat somewhere else

(100 Posts)
doris9034 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:05:05

So I've had some shit work related news this morning, and have taken myself to the pub for lunch for a bit of headspace. Pub is fairly empty - most eating tables are free, so I've sat in a quiet corner to have my sandwich and chill. Now a couple have come in and sat right next to me - literally the man's chair is about 20cm from mine angry
There are at least 15 other tables - why the fuck do you have to sit on top of me arrrrrgggghhhhh!

halfwitpicker Fri 22-Feb-19 13:07:01

I hear you

We have 10 stalls in the washroom at work - I go into one, some nutter goes into the one right next door!

WHY?! For the love of christ the other 8 are free! Fuck off to the other end you daft bastard

LostInShoebiz Fri 22-Feb-19 13:18:31

Well why did you choose your table? Maybe they thought the same: away from toilets and bar, nicer view, near the fire. They can sit anywhere except on your actual table.

CripsSandwiches Fri 22-Feb-19 13:20:41

YANBU I'd move if I were you, it's awkward being on top of each other in an otherwise quiet place.

Livid21 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:33:26

People are cunts. Move and glare.

dottypotter Fri 22-Feb-19 13:34:56

fgs why not smile or talk to them. Miserable or what.

Lockheart Fri 22-Feb-19 13:36:50

It's annoying but they're not doing anything wrong, and if there's so many other tables free I'd just move.

Gatehouse77 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:37:16

I would move if I wanted the quiet. Couldn’t give a toss if anyone perceived/took offence.

Biancadelrioisback Fri 22-Feb-19 13:37:51

dotty , well yes she may well be miserable, she's had bad news...

Travis1 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:45:38

@dotty talk to them? Really? She's had bad news, wants some space and you think she should be engaging in chit chat with randomers? Why can people not accept anymore that sometimes you just want your own company.

OP YANBU and I'd move tables tbh.

Purplecatshopaholic Fri 22-Feb-19 13:46:02

That would drive me demented too OP. I would glare savagely! Not sure I could arsed moving though - you were there first! Sorry about the work thing - hope it works out

Toooldtocareanymore Fri 22-Feb-19 13:47:29

maybe they thought the place would fill up and you knew the best place to sit, maybe they are my uncle who has no idea about personal space and has the knack of sitting beside the first person to sit down in an empty cinema, maybe your perfume is lovely and you are drawing them in..maybe the question is wrong , instead ask what we can do to make them move, maybe we can all suggest what you can and you report back.. , I vote having a row with yourself...

sorry about the bad news

hellojason Fri 22-Feb-19 13:48:07

What nutty conversation can you start up with them? I think you'll find they're the ones who will move if you're weird enough. Also, munch and slurp loudly.

Have some fun with them, it'll take your mind off things.

Purplecatshopaholic Fri 22-Feb-19 13:56:34

Oooh I like hellojason's idea about the munching and slurping! You could also have wildly inappropriate and very loud mobile phone conversations. Will take your mind off things for sure

RedWineIsFabulous Fri 22-Feb-19 13:58:14

Fuck that. I’d move

This has happened to me before. It’s ridiculous.

Just move

dottypotter Fri 22-Feb-19 13:58:51

@dotty talk to them? Really? She's had bad news, wants some space and you think she should be engaging in chit chat with randomers?

Randomers lol. We are all people on this planet. There is nothing wrong with smiling or talking. You are seriously lacking as a human if you just want to glare at people and be rude. B.e friendly its much better.

eurochick Fri 22-Feb-19 14:01:10

I'd also move.

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 22-Feb-19 14:02:31

Had this on a deserted beach, miles of space but family of space invaders set up camp right next to us.

I had a hunch that they were hoping my older kids would play with their younger ones so they didnt have to, tought shit cos we moved!

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 22-Feb-19 14:05:15

B.e friendly its much better.

Well thank you for that life lesson hmm

God forbid that the OP just wants a bit of peace to get her head around the bad news she just had.... BAD NEWS ABOUT HER JOB in case you missed it. She is allowed to be miserable, we all are! I am not obliged to be nice to anyone if I dont want to, its not my job to keep you fucking cheerful.

Drogosnextwife Fri 22-Feb-19 14:05:55

People are weird OP when there is plenty of space in a place why do people want to come and sit right next to you! That's the kind of thing that would actually ruin my lunch.

TheMaddHugger Fri 22-Feb-19 14:07:42

((((((Big Hugs))))))) @doris9034

I tend to get up and move to a new spot

RedWineIsFabulous Fri 22-Feb-19 14:08:38

All this being friendly bollocks is bullshit.

I’m a friendly human bean but if I’m
wanting to eat my lunch alone, sit with my family and chill on a deserted beach etc etc why on earth do I have to befriend these space invaders.

No thanks . At that particular time in my life I want to be minding my own business- be it alone or with my family.

Boyskeepswinging Fri 22-Feb-19 14:14:50

I think it's herd mentality. I see it all the time: empty cinema, empty train carriage, empty restaurant yet some people feel the need to herd around others. I don't even think they know they're doing it, it's just subconscious.

SpringForEver Fri 22-Feb-19 14:15:48

Fart, as loud as you can.

I hate it when people sit that close when there is lots of room.

JenniferJareau Fri 22-Feb-19 14:16:27

Sorry about your bad news OP flowers

I really dislike people like this, completely no sense of personal space or consideration of others. They are many around, like the ones who park right next to me in the almost empty car park or use the cross trainer right next to me when there are 8 others on the row free angry

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »