Talk

Advanced search

Labour is imploding...

(34 Posts)
SileneOliveira Fri 22-Feb-19 10:45:46

Another MP has resigned this morning and have just heard him being very scathing on BBC2 about Corbyn, saying he;s not fit to be Labour leader, is anti-semitic and totally unfit to ever be PM.

If more start to leave, Labour and Momentum will be the same thing. All the moderates will have left. Labour will be a fringe party, irrelevant to most people apart from the hardened left-wingers.

So are we seeing the death throes of Labour?

HoustonBess Fri 22-Feb-19 10:48:59

I think we're seeing the death throes of both Labour and the Tories as we know them, and it can only be a good thing. They're outdated.

I want a political party committed to reducing inequality, addressing climate change, supporting communities (investing in sure start etc, helping to keep town centres alive) and protecting the dignity of people in terms of housing, healthcare, employment etc. Neither main party does that right now.

I will also never vote for any party that facilitates the Brexit shitstorm we're all living through.

StoneofDestiny Fri 22-Feb-19 10:52:46

What worries me more is how the Tories have aligned themselves to the DUP. We have a UK government that has seen fit to use an extremist political party to prop up their government, a party that cannot even govern a Province in Nothern Ireland! A DUP leader who thinks it fit and proper to march in front of a sectarian orange order parade, not just in NI, but in Scotland. A portrayer of hate shipping her bile over the water.

I'm no fan of Corbyn or how he is running his party or his inability to provide effective opposition, but the Tories are in government - and what a shit show we have.

Alsohuman Fri 22-Feb-19 10:55:45

Absolutely. Neither the Labour or Conservative parties are fit to govern now. Hopefully more and more MPs will have the courage and integrity to kick them into touch. The Labour Party is parroting its same tired old schtik about bi-elections again.

AuntieCJ Fri 22-Feb-19 11:06:04

I'm done with them until Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott have gone.

Boyskeepswinging Fri 22-Feb-19 11:19:06

I often wonder what the country would be like today if John Smith hadn't died. Meanwhile we've got two party "leaders" who're only in position by default, not because of any leadership ability. Like Houston I hope this crisis in our main political parties results in a new way forward. We so desperately need it.
I visited the Scottish parliament recently and the contrast with Westminster was staggering. The way the chamber is designed (no "opposition") electronic voting (not walking out into lobbies) no shouting, it was like a breath of fresh air and surely what a modern parliament should be? No wonder we're the laughing stock of Europe.

BartonHollow Fri 22-Feb-19 11:22:11

If all the decent and worthwhile Labour and Tory band together and establish a proper party that can be voted for, I think a lot of people would be both relieved and enthused by that

cucumbergin Fri 22-Feb-19 11:28:30

The contrast between Conservative "Oh dear, we hope some day you will rejoin us" and Labour "Always hated you. Scum. Byelection now or else we'll flood your constituency with Momentum" responses is striking.

I am hoping that the Independent group pulls both parties back from the extremes as they realise that MPs really will leave if they push us into a no deal Brexit failure.

Al2O3 Fri 22-Feb-19 11:31:19

Yes. We will go the same way as other countries with more centrist parties like....er.....some of the European countries...

In 15-20 years another generation will take us back into the EU and all we have gone through and will go through will have been wasted years.

LittleMissCwtch Fri 22-Feb-19 11:31:55

I would welcome a new party as I wouldn't want to vote for either conservatives or Labour, but would happily vote for a new party with the right policies, Theresa and Jeremy are not suitable leaders.

HollowTalk Fri 22-Feb-19 11:34:26

You couldn't make it up, could you?

And yet apparently every time there's a referendum around the world, it leads to problems as it divides parties and families. David Cameron should be tried in court for this.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 22-Feb-19 11:35:18

The whole country is imploding so it’s a very small relief that Corbyn Marxist circle is too.

OliviaBenson Fri 22-Feb-19 11:38:48

I agree but I'm frustrated that labour are generating so much media coverage. It's the tories who are driving us into a no deal brexit, along with the dup. Our focus should be there but we have a biased media.

GreyGardens88 Fri 22-Feb-19 11:41:05

Corbyn doesn't care about the country, he just wants to get in power in whatever way he can. May doesn't even the majority support of her party and is leading us into disaster with no deal brexit. We need fresh, young leaders in power who are not afraid to stand up to Brexit bullies.

At least my conscience is clear as I voted remain

NothingOnTellyAgain Fri 22-Feb-19 11:41:12

problem labour have is they think they're the "good guys" and therefore by definition can't be doing anything wrong

so just dismiss accusations of anti semitism, misogyny without even considering the idea they might have merit or indeed be completely true

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Fri 22-Feb-19 11:42:56

And yet apparently every time there's a referendum around the world, it leads to problems as it divides parties and families. David Cameron should be tried in court for this.

Oh dont be ridiculous.

Ylvamoon Fri 22-Feb-19 11:43:50

I think it highlights the mess British politics is in! All the while giving the Tory party more power for their f* you all, I am only interested in my off shore account attitude.

I agree with HoustonBess, we need a new party that truly cares about everyone in our society and the environment.... like a reformed green party.

StoneofDestiny Fri 22-Feb-19 11:48:22

My only issue with the Tory resignations is that it would have been more convincing if they had done it earlier - they caused the Brexit shitshow, allowed Boris Buffoon and Rees Mogg to play games with real lives and to welcome DUP bigotry into their ranks to keep themselves in power - the time to jump ship was then. What took them so long to find their moral compass - and why so few following?

Budsbegginingspringinsight Fri 22-Feb-19 11:50:16

Nothing I agree...we see it with some posters on here who pride themselves on being far left and are v vicious nasty posters who have upset countless posters on a variety of topics...

It's interesting to see the fixed mindset but chilling too think a real life politican is so close to actual power...

Holidayshopping Fri 22-Feb-19 11:50:24

Not just Labour. The Tories are a shower of shite as well,

PalmTree101 Fri 22-Feb-19 11:52:50

Both parties are in the grip of extremists.

Hopefully the moderates from both will leave and band together and create a party that actually represents most of the country.

derxa Fri 22-Feb-19 12:02:03

I hope things change. It's refreshing hearing MPs say what they think. I know people hate to hear what 'DH' thinks stories on here. My DH thinks the rebels will disappear but I hope not.

Ellie56 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:03:37

Agree both parties are a shower of shite.

I don't normally agree with anything Nicola Sturgeon says, but she was spot on the other day when she tweeted:

"Striking how symbiotic the May/Corbyn relationship seems - collusion of silence on their imploding parties, neither showing any leadership on Brexit and each one relying on the other’s incompetence to obscure their own."

NothingOnTellyAgain Fri 22-Feb-19 12:04:07

I'm a bleeding heart lefty myself

But do make an effort with introspection

I suppose difference is the usual, women are taught to look out for others more while men are taught more that they are right so you get the same effect with all the men at the top who are incapable of examining any of their views or culture etc

BartonHollow Fri 22-Feb-19 12:04:36

If they end up outnumbering the rank and file or stripping their numbers enough would it trigger a GE?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »