Talk

Advanced search

More of a wwyd. How to get Vaccinations

(7 Posts)
NameChangedForThis456 Fri 22-Feb-19 09:56:29

I have 2 young children aged 4 & 2. We have never been vaccinated. I myself didnt have any as a child as my mother was dead set that vaccinations were a goverment population control & were poisen that would cause health problems later in life. The fear she put in me about vaccinations through childhood is still with me today and although i have decided to get my children and myself vaccinated i cant shake off the feeling of dread in my stomach. Im going against everything i was wrongly taught and i know the information she told us was wrong but its still scared me. Ive been no contact with her for 2 years and i am slowly realising that she has some mental health issues that need resolving ( much more than just about the vaccinations )

But i still feel like the decision to vaccinate us all is the wrong one even though logically i know its the safest for us all.

How do i go about getting us all vaccinated? I dont know how to even start the process and if allowed id want us all to have it st the same time. And how do i calm down the panicked voice in my head telling me its a bad decision? Its really hard to realise the information youve been told for 25 years is wrong.

I dont particually feel like i need the vaccinstions but feel like i cant give them to my babies if im not going to give them to myself.

Has anybody got any expierence in this?

Bambamber Fri 22-Feb-19 10:00:30

Your GP should be able to help you

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Fri 22-Feb-19 10:01:47

Go to the GP

KoraBora Fri 22-Feb-19 10:04:53

Well done for making such a positive decision for your families health!

It can be scary when it is new to you but the anticipation is always worse than the reality. Give your GP surgery a ring for advice. It may be they want you to see the Dr to decide on a catch up schedule but likely they will just make you an appointment with the nurse. Ring today so it isn't playing on your mind.

You can do this smile.

RaspberryBubblegum Fri 22-Feb-19 10:07:29

The best thing would probably be to go to your gp and ask them about sorting out appointments for the vaccination schedule.
I never particularly worried about vaccines, more about my daughter not having them. I was terrified for the first 3 months of her life waiting for her to have those injections! My mil almost died of meningitis when she was a child and my mum had measles and German measles. Both tell me how awful they were and how much pain they were in.
It's definitely what's safest out of the options, especially with the measles outbreaks. Good luck op you can do it! flowers

Birdsgottafly Fri 22-Feb-19 10:08:10

As said, either the GP or HV. The HV can make all of the appointments for you.

Well done for breaking free of your Mother's control. That was a big thing to achieve.

lola006 Fri 22-Feb-19 10:08:47

Just call your GP and explain you’re all behind on vaxxes. Then once there (will likely be with a nurse) explain your fears.

My DS2 (now 11) was behind on his vaccinations because we lived outside of the U.K. for a few years right after he was born and could not for the life of us get a regular GP. (No way to go private!) When we moved back to the U.K. I got an appt, fully admitted he was behind and the nurse gave us a different vax schedule with no issues or judgements.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »