Talk

Advanced search

To ask what people did in early labour?

(114 Posts)
Indigochi Fri 22-Feb-19 07:43:50

So basically I've been experiencing regular contractions since about 1am, had bloody show but no waters breaking or anything. The contractions are only about 40 mins to an hour apart and whilst they do overcome me and take my breath away it only lasts for about a minute so I'm going to my eyelash infill appointment! I phoned triage & they advised only to come in if waters break for they get to 5 mins apart. Am I abit mad? Or is my calmness acceptablehalo

Indigochi Fri 22-Feb-19 07:44:59

*or they get

SweepTheHalls Fri 22-Feb-19 07:46:10

Went for a walk, 🙂

Onetwopyjamacrews Fri 22-Feb-19 07:47:56

Labour has a tendency to lure you into a false sense of security. I was doing crosswords until 6cm then the pain got so bad I could barely see nevermind do a bloody crossword. Good luck!

EnglishRose13 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:48:02

My contractions started at about 2am and I didn't need to go to hospital until 10pm so I pretty much spent all day in the bath.

Good luck!

Drogosnextwife Fri 22-Feb-19 07:48:51

1st time, I was young and in labour for a long time so I went to the hospital and they sent me home, the only thing I remember is having a bath and my mum bringing me grapes 😂 last thing I wanted.

Second time I sat in the living room watching tv while I left dp to sleep until the last min and I knew I had to get to the hospital, they thought I was over reacting on the phone but I was 9cms as I walked in the door.

babydreamer1 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:49:54

I would, just get on with your day as you were planning, but stay local and don't drive yourself just in case.
You need beautiful eyelashes for that post birth photo wink I had sparkly nails.

babydreamer1 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:52:49

Oh and pop a maternity mat under you at all times and take fresh pants and leggings as well as your. hospital bag and notes!

Bobbiepin Fri 22-Feb-19 07:53:36

Waters broke at 2am so I finished packing my bag and went back to bed. Spent most of the day bouncing on the ball and watching TV & trying to eat/relax. Go get your eyelashes done but have a plan B on how to get back if you can't drive.

steff13 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:55:08

#1 son - waited in line for tickets to see Billy Joel, just hung around the house until contractions were 5 min apart.
#2 son - took a shower, shaved my legs, went to bed, woke up to the contractions 2 min apart (whoops). I was 8 cm dilated when I got to the hospital 20 min later.
The girl one - I was induced, so I was at the hospital all day.

Newadventure Fri 22-Feb-19 07:55:58

Mine was odd. I have a full week of slow labour.. I mostly stayed in the house rolling around trying to get proper labour to kick in. It was December and icy outside so couldn't go out. It was pretty boring actually.
I woke up on the 7th morning to full blow contractions every few minutes so never really felt like i was eased into it. Dd came quick though, 8 hours in total (first and only baby) so I guess it must have served some perpose.

Auramigraine Fri 22-Feb-19 07:58:26

Carried on sleeping (started very early AM) then when got more regular made a nice warm bath and stayed there while partner put bags in car, spoke to maternity unit etc until was time to go.

seastargirl Fri 22-Feb-19 07:59:11

I was working, finishing up emails and closing off some last minute issues that had arisen. Finished work at 2 had baby at 8.

kaytee87 Fri 22-Feb-19 08:01:35

My early labour was from about 7pm the cramps started. I got a hot water bottle and watched tv. Went to bed and slept on and off til around 3am when it started to get pretty bad, asked DH to refill hot water bottle then about 5am went to hospital. Got sent home sad went in the shower at home then back to hospital a couple of hours later

kaytee87 Fri 22-Feb-19 08:02:23

Ds was back to back so my contractions were about 3 minutes apart when I got sent home but was only 3cm

Middlrm Fri 22-Feb-19 08:04:52

How’s it going , my mum came round had a cuppa and I bounced on my ball and had a bath but my contractions started 4:30 am 29 mins apart and by 9am we’re 5 mins apart and by 10am 3 mins apart was convinced it was gonna take longer so rocked up to hospital fully dilated at 2:40pm didn’t have time to go out 😂😂

tinyvulture Fri 22-Feb-19 08:05:29

Lay around for days, timing my contractions and moaning. The pain and exhaustion wore me down in the end and I went into hospital even though my contractions weren’t quite close enough together (I lied!) It’s a wonder they didn’t send me home. But they didn’t. In the end, I’m pretty certain the midwife broke my waters, just to get me to shut up and get on with it.......

Brainfogmcfogface Fri 22-Feb-19 08:11:00

I’m in slow labour right now
Mild contractions no pattern and no show or waters so think this is going to be like my first and last a few days (though hopefully won’t have the same outcome as last time!)
I’m carrying on with life as much as possible, we’re going swimming this morning, trying to entertain a very bored 4yo on my own, I can’t walk far this time (SPD and on crutches) but last time I did a lot of walking and keeping moving. Good luck!!!

SmarmyMrMime Fri 22-Feb-19 08:12:12

DS1, I'd had lots of Braxton Hicks building up. Between SPD and an iced up road, I couldn't leave the house independently for the last 3+ weeks of pregnancy so took every opportunity to be ferried out of the house that I could. I did feel very emotional with lots of cramping feelings the night before regular contractions started but they settled, so I continued with plans to go to the theatre. In the second half the contractions became more regular. Went to labour ward for a check, too early, sent home. Had another check mid-morning, went out for a pub lunch after, grimmacing every few minutes. It was the first outing in months where I had no comments about going in to labour grin Had a long hot bath when things got more uncomfortable. Some very close friends popped over and there was a couple of hours chatting in the bath with me under a towel, bearing in mind I'd had cabin fever for weeks! It was over 24 hours of regular contractions before being admitted in time for an all nighter and baby being delivered lunchtime the next day!

DS2, I went slightly over DS1's dates and was happy to self induce. Dragged myself to the MW on my crutches, got the bus home. Went to bed with backache. Felt rubbish by teatime and suggested supermarket cafe. No appetite when food came. Went home had a bath. Realised that the cramp in my back was in 3 minute waves. Was holding my baby less than 6 hours later. Although both babies were back to back at delivery, DS2's back cramps were different to DS1's period style uterus cramps so I didn't recognise the feeling.

Keeping moving is good if you can, use gravity and movement to help baby move down.

BroomstickOfLove Fri 22-Feb-19 08:12:41

With DC1,c early Labour was slow and gradual. I went for lunch with friends with contractions every half hour, then went shopping for some last minute baby stuff. I went home and chatted on the phone with my mum and had a nap. Then I made some food to eat during/ after labor. At that point the contractions were every 5 minutes - I used them to time the cooking. Then it watched TV for a while until I lost concentration when I called the midwives (home birth).

With DC 2, the whole thing including early labour was a lot quicker. I sent DD off for a playdate with friends, went to the corner shop, made a stew in the slow cooker, inflated and filled the birth pool, arranged for a friend to look after DD for the afternoon, called DP to tell him to come home from work. The midwife arrived, I had a quick nap then went into full on intense labour and had a baby 45 minutes later.

Gooseygoosey12345 Fri 22-Feb-19 08:17:17

With my first I went for breakfast and to the shops (was already in hosp for a bleed). With my second I had no slow labour and he arrived after 1hr30 so safe to say I didn't do much else than ask for drugs and push. I would have definitely gone for the eyelash appointment if I were you smile good luck!!

MaggieAndHopey Fri 22-Feb-19 08:22:15

I went shopping with my mum and 3 year old, cooked spaghetti puttanesca for everyone when we got home, (for some reason I wasn't hungry?!), then had a bath. All very chilled and serene. Got out of the bath 30 mins later and knew it was hospital time. Husband drove me to the hospital wacky races style drive to the hospital (me: speed up! no no no! slow down! stop! speed up!) Just made it there, husband wheeled me through the corridors half on, half off a wheelchair because I couldn't sit down. Thankfully got to the midwife unit. Throughout, I remember being strongly appalled by the smell of garlic emanating from my hands from when I made the puttanesca.

Donnadon346 Fri 22-Feb-19 08:23:18

Pretty sure I've been in slow labour as well since yesterday afternoon. I've got midwife this morning and then an appointment to have my legs waxed which I'm really hoping to get to as there is no way I can shave my legs myself 😂
I'm hoping the midwife doesn't realise and want to keep me in.
This is my 4th child but it's been 14 years since I had my last baby so am expecting a slow labour.

MaggieAndHopey Fri 22-Feb-19 08:23:44

Bit of a ramble - didn't mean to add that second 'drive to the hospital'... but anyway, point is, things can change quickly in early labour!

IJustLostTheGame Fri 22-Feb-19 08:30:39

I went to the supermarket thinking 'it'll be hours yet before anything exciting happens'
I ended up on all fours panting for my life in the cake aisle.
Turned out I'd been in early labour for days but I'd put it down to back pain and paracetamol mostly zapped it.
blushblushblush
DH had to come and get me, the staff wanted to call an ambulance.
Turns out I labour fast and hard too.

Don't go to the supermarket unless you want an audience.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: