Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your wisdom tooth removal stories?

(56 Posts)
CaptainCabinets Thu 21-Feb-19 22:42:06

My dentist told me earlier she was referring me to have my wisdom teeth out under sedation as they’re badly impacted and my jaw is too small to accommodate them.

How bad is it?! Will I have a big swollen moon face after? How long will I need off work? Is it painful?!

I’m a nurse so I’m pretty blasé about most things but I can’t stand anything to do with teeth! Even having my teeth prodded with the metal stick they use in checkups makes my skin crawl 🤢

SerialChangerOfName Fri 22-Feb-19 12:08:40

I had all four impacted wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic as a day patient in hospital, 20 years ago. It was fine apart from infection in one site afterwards which hurt like hell and got antibiotics and stronger painkillers. Wouldn't have liked to go through it twice so get them all done at the same time if you can.

All the best.

minkies11 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:02:02

Had one non impacted wisdom tooth out 20 days ago with sedation. It was bloody brilliant. I didn't notice a thing and I'm a crappy patient who goes to a phobia centre dentists smile
Had no swelling or pain or any problems at all - literally just took one paracetamol when I got home and was fine. Did have stitches though but hadn't a clue they were going in. Don't remember any sound or any tugging. Easy!

WhoGivesADamnForAFlakeyBandit Fri 22-Feb-19 11:51:39

I had all 4 out under GA. The pads were a bit chokey when I came round, but my brother had taken his out himself when he had his done and then had ended up voming bloody clots so I was ok to keep them on as long as needed.

I was eating toast the next morning, had two bruises and a moon face for about a week - tbh it didn't hurt much afterwards, the GA was the worst bit. As I said, my brother did the vomiting thing but he chucks up at anything anyway, so GA plus bleeding just made it more dramatic. He's also got a clicky jaw from where it was dislocated. He didn't have the bruises or moon face though, so swings and roundabouts grin

Iseverynametaken Fri 22-Feb-19 11:40:45

I had badly impacted partially erupted wisdome teeth (that one of also turned out to be infected.. surgeon said they tossed up whether to go ahead eith surgery). Had them out in the chair under twilight sedation (your out of it, but not fully under). Proceedure took under 40 mins and I dont remember a thing... just coming round feeling cold and having a giggling fit over who knows what. Days after amazingly didn't swell up or have any bruising. Pain was actually pretty minimal suprisingly, was given strong painkillers but only ended up using 2 of them, rest was just over the counter stuff. Hardest part was eating (didn't do much of that but had to for antibiotic course) and rinsing my mouth out as I was paranoid of dry socket. Surgeon gave me a note for a week off of work... which I happily had sitting around watching trashy tv! Try not to let peoples stories scare you too much as we are all different and you may have a not so bad time like me!

Kamma89 Fri 22-Feb-19 10:18:17

I had one out at the hospital under local. Half way through the dentist said "hmmmm, might have been better to do surgical, never mind, we'll crack on" ... and crack on they did, I thought she was going to pull my head off! I was bruised & swollen for days, then developed dry socket despite being meticulous in my after care. Was a torture I wouldn't wish on anyone. Took over 3 months for me to heal completely. The other one needs to come out now & it will be done under GA!

Good luck, most go much more smoothly smile

PinkPaperCrown Fri 22-Feb-19 00:43:33

I don’t remember a thing about mine, but the pain afterwards was quite significant because one of the teeth was so impacted and I needed several stitches as a result. Pain relief was good and I was fully recovered after two weeks. I took three days off work having had the procedure on the Monday. I didn’t have a moon face, or any noticeable external swelling. I felt much better once everything had settled down as the lower teeth had been extremely problematic, which prompted the referral. Good luck!

MuchTooTired Fri 22-Feb-19 00:36:03

I was referred to have all 4 out, but they only took the top two in the end, under sedation. Amazingly, it didn’t hurt at all afterwards, I had a subway on the way home, and didn’t need painkillers at all.

steff13 Fri 22-Feb-19 00:28:48

All four of mine were impacted. I had minimal swelling and pain. I threw up a little blood when I got home. I had it Friday and I was back to work Monday.

Dontfuckingsaycheese Fri 22-Feb-19 00:25:32

I had mine out top ones ones one week one the next under a local. The noise and the pressure are sickening but was totally fine. Felt a bit of a fraud having day off work. I spent it stripping wallpaper!!

cinders15 Fri 22-Feb-19 00:22:19

My dentist said he would do it under local - but my lower two were very long
I didn't fancy that
I then went to a lot of dentists until I found one that referred me to a hospital with a good dental service
So I had all four done under general
When I woke up, my chest really hurt and I was covered in iodine still
Turned out they had to put a knee on my chest to pull out both bottom ones as they curled at the root
I just thank my lucky stars I hadn't started to have it done in a dental chair confused

FurrySlipperBoots Fri 22-Feb-19 00:19:44

(He had a GA for his)

FurrySlipperBoots Fri 22-Feb-19 00:19:28

My brother had his out. I was all set to play nurse, make him little tempting treats, fetch him things with him huddled in bed feeling sorry for himself... Nope, he was right as rain, sitting at his computer gaming without a care in the world a few hours later! I was quite annoyed.

spritesandunicorns Fri 22-Feb-19 00:15:47

I had bottom right one out a few years ago under a local. Was a simple procedure, took about half an hour or so as it was impacted and they had to cut it into pieces but I felt nothing apart from a lot of pressure.

The recovery was easy, took painkillers for a few days.

But unfortunately I developed TMJ from the procedure. I am hyper mobile and they think that as the tooth was so difficult to extract and the dentist had to apply a lot of pressure it stretched/damaged a ligament and the disc in my jaw now displaces. It’s incredibly painful when it flares up and i have some pain daily. I think I was very unlucky but just a warning to check that your dentist doesn’t apply too much pressure and gives you breaks to close your mouth of it takes too long. Reading the past posts though I think I was unlucky 😢

Squigglesworth Fri 22-Feb-19 00:08:35

I had mine out years and years ago and no longer remember any of the details-- except that it wasn't that bad, really. (But I'm lucky to not have a fear of dentists/tooth stuff, generally.)

If it's the possible sounds that you're dreading, I wonder if it would be possible for you to have ear buds in and listen to music or an audio book to help distract you and mask the sounds of the procedure. Maybe it wouldn't be allowed, if they need to communicate with you at all, but it's worth asking, if you think it could help.

CountingFireflies Fri 22-Feb-19 00:06:36

I had all 4 out under sedation.
Had them out on a Friday, was swollen but pain free at work by Monday.
I looked like quagmire from family guy, the bottom of my face was puffy and swollen, but the pain killers did the job.

CaptainCabinets Thu 21-Feb-19 23:36:40

@Babdoc the extent of the complicated root situation is currently unknown: I’m going back to see my dentist next Wednesday with a CD of the X-rays I had done at the hospital. She only took mini X-rays herself so she’s going to have a look at the roots in more detail on the whole mouth X-ray and plan what happens from there.

Dry socket sounds utterly foul and makes me heave just thinking about it!

megletthesecond Thu 21-Feb-19 23:30:38

One lower impacted tooth removed under a local.
Really not that bad. Impressive bruising down my neck (the nerves apparently) but no problems eating soup and soft pasta for a couple of days a couple of days off work. I'd been in far more pain when it was causing problems in my jaw.
I'd have the others out in a heartbeat if they'd let me.

Babdoc Thu 21-Feb-19 23:26:58

I’m retired now, but I used to regularly anaesthetise the oral surgery list for wisdom teeth removal at my hospital. When I needed my own wisdom teeth out, I did the first three patients, then climbed on the table myself and got mine out under local.
I then went to the recovery room to check my patients. Because my mouth was numb with long acting local, I was lisping, mumbling and drooling. The patients looked askance, probably thinking I was drunk! I explained I’d just had my teeth out the same as them, albeit without a GA, and they were thunderstruck - I think they thought I was joking!
You’ll be fine, OP. If your roots were horribly difficult they’d book you for a GA. If they’re just going for local and sedation that suggests they’re not too bad. You’ll need pain killers for a couple of days and a soft diet, but mouths heal up very quickly.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 21-Feb-19 23:21:42

I had one taken out last summer and one 2 years ago. Partial sedation for both. I was unaware of anything! The first time I had a major fit of the giggles after! Both times I only needed paracetamol (also had paramol on standby!). No swelling or any real pain. Was groggy for a day or 2. Perfectly fine by day 3. You'll be fine!

I was advised no driving, use of machinery/cooking etc for 24 hours so made the most of having husband waiting on me for 2 days!

CaptainCabinets Thu 21-Feb-19 23:18:28

I’d ask for a general to avoid hearing any of the aforementioned noises but the only general I’ve ever had made me violently sick! My top two haven’t properly begun to erupt yet, annoyingly, as I’d prefer to just have all four out and be done with it as pp suggested.

I hope I get a sticker after grin

FannyFifer Thu 21-Feb-19 23:18:19

Bottom ones are a lot more difficult to remove than top.
Sedation is good, think I had a wee dose but mostly awake.

Iltavilli Thu 21-Feb-19 23:16:24

Mine done literally last week (what a valentines). Horizontal bony impaction with a general anaesthetic at the local dental hospital. Took a long time to book surgery as needed a cone beam CT (tooth bang on the nerve), but they managed to get it all out.
Day of op was grim (hangry) but fine. Day after (Friday) also ok as had plenty of co-codamol as PP recommended, but swelling started.
Sat and sun the worst, bad swelling and purple bruising. Worked at home Monday and Tues - brain functioning but looked far too horrific for the office.
Pain hasn’t been awful despite the invasive nature of the op - I was high risk and quite a bit of bone taken. Stopped co-codamol after 3 days as recommended and managed on ibuprofen / paracetamol combo.
A week on, there’s light bruising and swelling which even good concealer can’t disguise but minimal pain. The worst bit is the incredibly dull mushy diet you have to eat. My stitches are still in, so more yoghurt, soup and over cooked pasta for a few days

AnotherOriginalUsername Thu 21-Feb-19 23:15:41

I've also been/am being referred to have my lower two removed under sedation. Will I be conscious and just doped up?

I had the top two taken out under local about 10 years ago with no issue and had 2 hours of her digging around in my mouth replacing old fillings this week and am going back for a crown on Tuesday. Not sure why she feels sedation is necessary?

MrsApplepants Thu 21-Feb-19 23:14:35

I had two out under general. V painful first night, but not too swollen, then face ached for two weeks, easily controlled with paracetamol, then totally fine. Was so glad to be free of the hassle they caused before they were removed.

Shenanagins Thu 21-Feb-19 23:11:35

I had mine taken out under sedation. It was absolutely fine, don’t remember a thing and had limited bruising which is remarkable given that I bruise easily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »