Talk

Advanced search

to ask if HP instant ink is worth signing up to?

(20 Posts)
SweetMarmalade Thu 21-Feb-19 19:15:39

Just bought a cheap printer.

Mainly going to be used to print Ds homework, revision and occasional receipts for items ordered or booked online.

Instant ink option was available. Moderate ink for 100 pages per month is £3.49. £1 each additional 15 pages but you can roll over up to 200 unused pages.

Really cheap printer, cartridges are HP 304 which you can get from £8 plus (depends on size I suppose).

Question to you is. Have you signed up for this and found it useful?

IABU asking such a dull question but hope you can enlighten me as to whether this is worth signing up to grin

SweetMarmalade Thu 21-Feb-19 19:16:50

We could be moderate users. Depends on Ds revision that term.

He’s currently Y7 and recently had quite a lot hmm

Trifle66 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:21:14

Yes. I signed up for it for DD who is a student. It's very handy. I think it's worth it.

SweetMarmalade Thu 21-Feb-19 19:23:26

Thanks Trifle.

I’m unsure. Might give it a go for a couple of months.

iklboo Thu 21-Feb-19 19:23:57

Yes it's been great for DS who has to print loads out for school.

Torvi Thu 21-Feb-19 19:25:13

I have it and think it's great

TheNemesisOfLame Thu 21-Feb-19 19:26:21

I signed up mainly because we'd always run out of ink at the most inconvenient time and I'd have to spend a fortune in Currys. When DCs were doing GCSEs and A Levels at the same time it was v useful (I had the 300 page per month option).

I'm probably going to drop back down to the 100 ppm. The cost is small enough to be lost general household expenses.

DroningOn Thu 21-Feb-19 19:26:27

If you're printing loads it's probably not best value but we're not heavy users and it's great.

Never run out of ink again.

SweetMarmalade Thu 21-Feb-19 19:29:14

Thanks all.

Going to sign up for the moderate useage and see how it works out over the next few months.

dirtystinkyrats Thu 21-Feb-19 19:33:37

Have you got any free months? I got about 8 or 9 months free at the begining. If you sign up with this link you get a free month (its a referral code type thing). Depending on what printer you got you might have got a few free months with that too.

try.hpinstantink.com/hshmR

MindatWork Thu 21-Feb-19 19:42:29

Hi op, we have it and it’s cost effective but just make sure you regularly connect the printer up to the WiFi, otherwise HP can block the printer and stop you from using it! This happened to us, our WiFi went down and I needed to print something urgently but we hadn’t turned it on for a couple of weeks and they had blocked it. Not happy!!!

Read this: community.spiceworks.com/topic/2104584-don-t-sign-up-clients-for-hp-s-instant-ink-program

SweetMarmalade Thu 21-Feb-19 19:43:30

There was a free option but that’s only 15 copies per month. Think we’ve already exceeded that! confused

ThePants999 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:49:28

We're on the free option and it's been fantastic. Our usage is very low, but not zero. Already had one change of cartridges and paid a princely £2 in total for the two months where we went past 15 pages.

SweetMarmalade Thu 21-Feb-19 19:50:09

Mind, thank you! That’s interesting.

It’s possible the printer won’t be connected constantly to the WiFi! Might need to read further into this.

I need to decide where it’s going to live and if it’s going to be linked up all the time.

Hmm, you’ve given me more to think about.

ShadyLady53 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:50:22

Didn’t work for me as I go through spurts of using the printer for say, 20 copies then do 200 pages in a day and all of the sudden the inks all gone and I have to wait for it to come in the post. I cancelled it after a year of trialling and finding it didn’t work for me.

thereinmadnesslies Thu 21-Feb-19 19:52:49

We did it - but the printer broke after 9 months. We were sent but didn’t use any replacement ink cartridges in that time. HP won’t refund me and the unused replacements are barcoded so they will only work in the old broken printer.

MindatWork Thu 21-Feb-19 19:55:45

@SweetMarmalade It doesn’t need to be continuously connected, just regularly so HP can monitor ink levels and how many pages you’ve used.

Ours connects to the WiFi automatically when it’s turned on, so as long as you switch it on every so often it should be fine. You get an email telling you to connect it if you leave it too long.

bananasandwicheseveryday Thu 21-Feb-19 19:59:37

I have the 50 pages a month option. That's plenty for me. I like the fact I don't need to worry about whether I print off a4 size photos, a few letters or whatever. My annual cost of £24 is very cost effective when I compare it to the cost of ink cartridges. It's also worth noting that the instant ink cartridges contain more ink than the ones you buy in the shops, so if you are comparing costs, you need to bear in mind that you'd need to purchase more cartridges than the number you'd use from HP. If that makes sense.

GrumpyOldMare Thu 21-Feb-19 20:00:29

I have this.

I'm on the £1.99 a month plan.Had it over a year and only just received a colour cartridge-they seem to last forever! Still plenty of black left. Means I never need to worry about forking out a fortune for ink - less than the price of a coffee every month.

Rhubardandcustard Thu 21-Feb-19 20:04:26

Yes had my printer 2 years now I pay the £1.99 works out more economical than any of my other printers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »