Talk

Advanced search

To think that universities in 2019 should be required to...

(36 Posts)
SurfScoter Thu 21-Feb-19 19:12:28

Allow mixed-gender rooms in halls?
I have lots of opposite-gender friends. I was talking with a friend in a similar situation and he was saying that he was not allowed to room with a female friend, even though both their sets of parents were OK with it, because it is against university policy.
AIBU to think that, in this day and age with so many people being more open about sexuality, universities should relax their gender policies? Especially considering the fact that the majority of uni students are already adults when they start.

GoGoGadgetGin Thu 21-Feb-19 19:13:29

Gender or sex?

SurfScoter Thu 21-Feb-19 19:15:25

Either one, I don't think it should matter.

Faster Thu 21-Feb-19 19:17:24

When I lived in uni halls we had shared showers, three of them, in a bathroom with no lock on the main bathroom door. The stalls themselves locked. As did the main door to our halls corridor. Would infuck have wanted a man being able to be in that space where I already felt bloody vulnerable about things.

foreverderbyshire Thu 21-Feb-19 19:19:57

Are you in the States? Rooms in UK halls are generally single rooms. At my uni, there were 8 rooms in a corridor, 4 boys, 4 girls. All facilities were shared. I don't recall any single sex corridors.

PaintingOwls Thu 21-Feb-19 19:23:27

Because men rape women.

dreamyflower Thu 21-Feb-19 19:24:09

Our halls were mixed as were the toilets and showers... that's ten years ago.

Idontmeanto Thu 21-Feb-19 19:24:12

i Can remember there being family accommodation and couples’ rooms at postgraduate college. Accommodation for single folk was in flats of four with shared kitchen and bathrooms. These were all mixed.

Idontmeanto Thu 21-Feb-19 19:25:35

I would prefer universities to offer a choice.

donajimena Thu 21-Feb-19 19:26:51

Most of the accommodation in my uni and the cities other uni is mixed. You get your own room and bathroom and communal lounge and kitchen.
In your second year you can choose who you live with. Whats your problem?
Or did you come here to try and stir the pot?

titchy Thu 21-Feb-19 19:30:48

he was saying that he was not allowed to room with a female friend,

If they were a couple they could have applied for couples or family accommodation. If they weren't and applying for a shared room then there would have been no guarantee that they'd have been allocated their first choice accommodation which is why their request couldn't have been accommodated.

If they were two same sex friends wanting to share they wouldn't have been able to for the same reason.

So stop stirring OP.

Parthenope Thu 21-Feb-19 19:32:17

Are you talking about the US system, where typically first year students share a room? I don't think that's at all common in the UK, and the vast majority of student accommodation at my university is in mixed-sex 'apartments', though there are some single-sex apartments (in mixed-sex floors/buildings), mostly used by overseas students.

CloserIAm2Fine Thu 21-Feb-19 19:32:20

There are very few shared rooms at UK universities, single rooms are by far the norm

I lived in mixed halls but then I always had en suite. My uni had single sex corridors for those who shared bathrooms. I think that’s fair enough. I don’t care who I share a kitchen with, I care who I share a bathroom with. I’m honestly not sure what their policy would’ve been if a mixed sex group of friends wanted to share a corridor without en suites together.

Parents cannot have any say in who their child lives with at uni, the child is an adult so can make their own choices.

showerpower Thu 21-Feb-19 19:32:53

Most UK uni halls are single rooms these days.

CheeseWheel Thu 21-Feb-19 19:34:49

My uni was mixed but everyone had a single en-suite room with lockable doors. 6-8 of these rooms shared a kitchen and living room space. Several other units in the area have the same setup.

I'm UK based. Sharing an actual bedroom isn't common here.

SurfScoter Thu 21-Feb-19 19:35:24

Sorry, should have clarified that I'm attending one in the US. Was just curious about others' opinions... not trying to stir.
Thanks.

Sparklingbrook Thu 21-Feb-19 19:37:37

DS in Halls had a single room with en suite. He is now in a house share with 7 others 4 male, 4 female. They share bathrooms.

Are you not in the UK?

titchy Thu 21-Feb-19 19:38:01

Sorry, should have clarified that I'm attending one in the US.

Bit pointless posting on a U.K. site then, given that our universities all have mixed sexes in halls.

DrCoconut Thu 21-Feb-19 19:38:12

When I went to uni in 1995 I lived in a block of flats. It was student accommodation. Each flat had 6 bedrooms and shared bathroom and kitchen. The flats were single sex but the building wasn't. It wasn't considered ok to have people living with essentially strangers of the opposite sex. You could have whatever guests you wanted though, unlike when my mum was at uni and halls were strictly men or women only and no opposite sex visitors other than parents, and no visitors at all between certain times. Some 1995 halls had shared rooms which were also single sex but these were becoming rarer and usually were a cheaper option for those willing to sacrifice privacy for lower rent.

DarklyDreamingDexter Thu 21-Feb-19 19:38:21

The norm at UK universities is to have a room to yourself these days. I've visited about 20+ uni open days with my kids and none offered shared rooms - unless a studio or flatlet booked as a couple or a family. (Normally aimed at mature students.) Where are you finding that offers shared rooms of any kind for single undergraduates?

MissDai5y Thu 21-Feb-19 19:39:16

I don't think this is a thing in the UK. We have couples accommodation available, single sex and mixed sex halls, same with sharing the bathroom or showers in those halls.

I was in a single sex flat at uni but the one next to us was mixed and we shared shower and toilet cubicles with them. That was 2001.

DarklyDreamingDexter Thu 21-Feb-19 19:40:04

Cross posted. Just seen you are in the US. No idea what goes on at unis over there.

wigglybeezer Thu 21-Feb-19 19:47:32

My son is sharing a room at uni, he is in an old fashioned fully catered hall where all the first years share ( at St Andrews) however I think it would get too complicated allowing mixed rooms and requesting specific room mates.

Sparklingbrook Thu 21-Feb-19 19:48:26

Have no experience of US universities i am afraid.

SileneOliveira Thu 21-Feb-19 20:26:29

I shared a room in my first year at uni in 1990. That hall of residence closed ages ago though.

In my second year I was in a flat with three other girls, we each had ouw own single room. Other flats in the block had male students. That's how I met DH - he was one of the lads in the flat across the landing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »