Talk

Advanced search

To pay £4K for wood french doors

(20 Posts)
lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:04:14

Firstly I m not rich by any means and would have to borrow some of the money. I am starting to decorate the back lounge in my house. (3 bed semi) Currently it has very ugly UPVC french doors with broken handles. The opening is a 6ft x7ft. The ugly plastic ness makes the whole room look naff. It’s a 1910 house. I want wood french doors. Had a couple of quotes (obviously I will get others) that come at just over £4000. I was shocked I was expecting £2K at the most. But I still want them as I can’t imagine anything UPVC will work, in such a big space. all our windows are UPVC and they don’t bother me, we even have UPVC french doors in the kitchen, but you’re not sat looking at them as you are in a lounge. DH thinks I am being unreasonable. He says it’s the price of a holiday. I know that but I think they will last forever AIBU?

Inapickle230 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:06:55

Could you get more quotes? Have you gone for big companies, maybe try a local firm? You can get upvc with a wood grain finish? It does sound quite steep.

lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:19:13

I am trying to get a quote from a local firms. Waiting for call backs. So hopefully price will be lower but imagine it will still be 3k ish

Princessmushroom Thu 21-Feb-19 19:36:11

If you have to borrow the money I probably wouldn’t do it tbh. But you know what you can and can’t live with.

Definitely get some more quotes though

Inapickle230 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:37:34

Fingers crossed. I used to work for a big double glazing company (I hated it and didn’t last long as the sales techniques they taught were awful) and I gave someone a quote for about that and I know a local company could have done it a lot cheaper.

If it is 3k and you are going to stay there then it might be worth it, they will add value and upvc ones probably wouldn’t be loads less.

Girlsnightin Thu 21-Feb-19 19:38:30

I was in your position and was scared off by the cost. I see these doors daily, and regret not spending the extra, every. single. day.

lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:39:48

Thanks for the feedback. I just hope that some of the local companies come back to me. They seem to be really slow at responding. Thanks

VanillaSugarr Thu 21-Feb-19 19:40:22

I’ve paid just over that for 2 doors. PM me and I’ll PM you the details as they are a national company with regional sales offices. No, it isn’t Everest!

Bubblysqueak Thu 21-Feb-19 19:41:42

Have you looked on eBay? There's lots of really nice wooden doors on eBay.

Mullberry7373 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:41:57

See if you can find a local joiners and go direct to them, they will often come out and hang them for you too.

lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:43:35

Also thanks girlsnightin. I actually bought the UPVC doors we have now about 10 years ago. I wanted wood then, but I was persuaded that it was a waste of money. As you say regret that decision every time I look at them. My Nan used to say buy cheap buy twice, wish I’d paid more attention when I was younger!!

stillworkingitout Thu 21-Feb-19 19:45:05

Try to find a decent joiner in your area and see what they charge. Round here a casement window in wood is about £1k (not fitted) so I expect £2.5-3k for French doors fitted is about right try to see if you have have them spray painted, and made out of sapele seems to be a good cost compromise compared with other hard woods. You can get wooden doors with multi point locking though so try to make sure you get that too

lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:47:42

Thanks mulberry and bubblysqueak. That quote for 4K is all in supply, fit, take away the original, factory painted etc. I am nervous about not going for a supply and fit together as my house is wonky! Sizes at the bottom of door ways, windows etc are never quite the same as at the bottom!!

PookieDo Thu 21-Feb-19 19:48:48

Can’t you get UPVC that looks less plastic? My Dsis has some lovely doors and windows in a light sage green I was convinced were wooden but they are UPVC! She also has an older house and they look really nice

lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:50:14

What is sapele? Not heard of that.
Yes I need the multi point locking, she is very security aware!

Thanks

gettingtherequickly Thu 21-Feb-19 19:53:02

You need a GRP composite, way cheaper than wood, no warping or degrading and cheaper as well.
They are moulded based on an oak grained door, so look identical.

lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:55:05

Oh thanks, I’ll google GRP now thanks

lucylockett27 Thu 21-Feb-19 20:06:45

Just had a look at GRP. Now realise these are ‘rock’ doors. We actually have a rock front door, which I don’t love but don’t mind. However there is does not seem to be much in terms of style choices for French doors. I’ve attached a pic of what I want.

gettingtherequickly Fri 22-Feb-19 19:25:43

Rock door aren't great aesthetically, you need to look at one that uses a mould from an oak timber door. They look exactly like timber.

Haven't seen anything like you've posted though, (which is beautiful).

lucylockett27 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:38:18

Thanks for the reply. where do you think I might be able to see a door moulded from oak?

I have had a good google of the composite French doors today and not seen anything specific about moulded doors (but going to have another look now- the struggle is real!!! # first world problems). Rock do, do one I have found out, called the classic. Only seen it online but it seems to look a bit 'clunky'. Seems to be about £2600 so much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »