Talk

Advanced search

To think that starting every day off by telling off your work team isn't a good way to start the day?

(14 Posts)
Sophiathefortyfirst Thu 21-Feb-19 15:54:54

I work part time in sales.

Every fucking morning our manager gives us all a team bollocking and it's really getting on my nerves. Nothing we ever do is good enough. If we hit our targets then they just increase the target for us for the week so we never hit it!

I have always worked in sales environments so I know that sales are pressured, but I don't know why on earth any boss would think that it's going to motivate staff if they tell them off constantly. We are also pulled into the office in turns throughout the day very frequently and bollocked then too!

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Thu 21-Feb-19 15:57:38

Leave then? They do sound crap, find another job and give feedback to senior management in your exit interview/ send a shitty email on your last day

RiverTam Thu 21-Feb-19 15:59:16

That does sound very rubbish and not in the least inspiring. Is there no-one you can say something to?

Sophiathefortyfirst Thu 21-Feb-19 16:00:31

I will probably leave at some point. I live rurally and sales jobs are quite hard to find, especially part time ones.

Higher management are all the same and give our managers a bollocking regularly too.

brassbrass Thu 21-Feb-19 16:01:43

Ugh life's too short for this. Look for another role where you are treated better.

Emeraldshamrock Thu 21-Feb-19 16:03:27

It kills the company spirit, unless it is warranted. The financial control in my last job, she was in charge of our department some mornings she would smile and say hi other times she would slam her door with a face like thunder.
Lots of long-term staff left. Her moods really effected the team.

Sophiathefortyfirst Thu 21-Feb-19 16:04:46

It certainly does kill the company spirit. We have a high turnover of staff, and people often seem fed up and demotivated. I recently took a week's holiday and got a telling off when I got back because I hadn't made any sales that week while I wasn't even there!

moosesormeece Thu 21-Feb-19 16:06:19

I get this but remotely, in the form of early morning demotivational group emails about how crap we all are. I have always assumed the people who do this thrived on it themselves, hence sticking around long enough to be put in charge. But it very definitely does not help me. I'm on my way out and hoping to ditch sales altogether.

WarpedGalaxy Thu 21-Feb-19 16:23:22

Higher management are all the same and give our managers a bollocking regularly too. So the shit rolls downhill?

Yep. I'd be looking for another job, that never gets better.

PsychoSyd Thu 21-Feb-19 16:24:57

Floggings will continue until morale improves...

Emeraldshamrock Thu 21-Feb-19 16:43:48

A high staff turn over IMO is the first indicator of how shit a place is, it is not going to improve. I have worked for 2 company's with a high turn over, one actually made me ill trying to stay on top of their ever moving goal posts.
I am happy in my job now, but if I ever start another and hear they've a high turnover I'll avoid it.
I know it is harder as jobs are rare where you are. In the meantime grow a suit of armour and keep looking for another job.

Sophiathefortyfirst Tue 05-Mar-19 12:50:10

To update, I'm leaving at the end of this week! I also have my own small business but had been working for the social side of things but am going to just concentrate on my business again.

We're only paid on commission too which was another bugbear of mine as some weeks I earn nothing, so I thought I'd call it quits!

Sweetheart1313 Tue 05-Mar-19 13:43:34

It sounds like a horrible place to work. Good on you OP for deciding to leave

Sophiathefortyfirst Tue 05-Mar-19 16:05:32

Thank you! I feel glad that I'm leaving. The job was stressing me out more than I realised.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »