Talk

Advanced search

To have the NHS white filling and not the private white filling?

(39 Posts)
SuzzieWithEthics Thu 21-Feb-19 08:02:18

If I can afford it would it be negligent to get the free NHS white fillings?

Apparently NHS and private white fillings are two different materials and the private one is far better quality.

Is that true? Means the difference of free or over £500

NorthernBirdAtHeart Thu 21-Feb-19 08:03:59

£500?!! Wow, that’s a huge amount. My dentist (London based) charges £65 for the private white filling.
Perhaps find yourself another dentist.

MrsJayy Thu 21-Feb-19 08:05:00

I don't know what you mean by free nhs filling isn't free unless you are pregnant or post baby Why are you thinking it is free? Get whichever filling you want.

FamilyOfAliens Thu 21-Feb-19 08:05:48

Is the filling visible? Does it need to be white?

I recently had a filling replaced and was offered white or amalgam. I asked the dentist what he would choose and he said amalgam because it was near the back and they last so much longer than white fillings.

Louiselouie0890 Thu 21-Feb-19 08:06:27

How is it free? Where I went even with a pregnancy exempt card the white ones had an extra cost

Raspberry10 Thu 21-Feb-19 08:07:04

Is it really different? I’ve had four white fillings on the NHS now (replacing mercury ones when they come out) and the oldest one is 8 years now and doing just fine. My dentist doesn’t do them for free though they are always about £50.

butteryellow Thu 21-Feb-19 08:10:04

^ I asked the dentist what he would choose and he said amalgam because it was near the back and they last so much longer than white fillings.^

errr - that's not at all what my dentists have said...

I've not had anyone tell me there are two types of white fillings (I always have white fillings) - I have had the nasty surprise that paying for a white filling means this is private treatment, and now they can justify charging me for being 1 minute late (and yet not re-imbursing me when they're 15 minutes late).. Didn't stay with that dentist (and their white filling fell out, whereas the great dentist the town over re-did it and it's been fine for 5 years)

I will say, if you're spending that much on a filling, I would consider getting it done abroad - I've had work done in Malta, and it's cheaper, in a more modern surgery, with more modern equipment (3d printed crown, same day fitted - for what you're paying for a filling)

SuzzieWithEthics Thu 21-Feb-19 08:10:09

Two are deep fillings at the back and they want to use white as apparently it will be a better bond.

This is Bupa. @mrsjay yes I'm entitled to free NHS dental.

SuzzieWithEthics Thu 21-Feb-19 08:12:11

They offered to do all white fillings on the NHS. But warned it was an inferior material to the private white fillings

SuzzieWithEthics Thu 21-Feb-19 08:21:38

- that's not at all what my dentists have said...

I find you ask three different dentists and get three very different opinions!

JuniperBeer Thu 21-Feb-19 08:24:31

Survey if it’s on BUPA you won’t pay the full £500 anyway? It’ll be covered under your insurance?

JuniperBeer Thu 21-Feb-19 08:24:40

*surely

FamilyOfAliens Thu 21-Feb-19 08:25:27

errr - that's not at all what my dentists have said...

I said that it’s what my dentist said.

But then I only have one dentist, not a team, so what do I know? grin

ethelfleda Thu 21-Feb-19 08:25:30

I recently had a white filling for free because they won’t give amalgam fillings to a breastfeeding mother and it was within a year of my baby’s birth

Divgirl2 Thu 21-Feb-19 08:28:57

I'm entitled to free NHS dental and cannot get white fillings done anywhere other than front teeth, unless I pay because it's considered cosmetic.
Are you positive they've offered you a free white filling? As far as I know they got rid of free white fillings a long time ago.

legolimb Thu 21-Feb-19 08:29:32

I had 5 fillings done in early teens which I then had replaced at the age of 19. I was working in a dental practice (NHS) and the composite fillings were not commonly used in back teeth so I was a Guinea pig.

30 years later they are still in place and I have had no issues at all.

I'd go for the NHS option.

SuzzieWithEthics Thu 21-Feb-19 08:29:58

No I'm not on Bupa insurance. I just go to Bupa as an NHS patient.

SuzzieWithEthics Thu 21-Feb-19 08:30:53

Yes I've been offered all 3 white fillings for free on the NHS.

butteryellow Thu 21-Feb-19 08:32:09

But then I only have one dentist, not a team, so what do I know? grin

grin - I wish I had a team - the sad reality is I move around a lot and so rarely get to go to the same dentist more than twice....

SD1978 Thu 21-Feb-19 08:32:35

So same dentist is saying I'll do you free (NHS) or you can pay me £500 for my vastly superior ones that I can do instead.........I'd go NHS filling personally

3out Thu 21-Feb-19 08:36:42

Our dentist says you can’t get white fillings on the nhs unless it’s the front teeth. Maybe Scotland is different though.

OhHelp0hNo Thu 21-Feb-19 08:39:51

I had a free white filling on NHS when I was pregnant (south east England) so it does happen! It was a wisdom tooth too, not a front one.

bonzo77 Thu 21-Feb-19 08:40:05

I’m a dentist. I hate these posts. So many posters spreading misinformation that they have received from their dentists. Who have willfully misinterpreted their NHS contracts.

White fillings are available on all teeth on the Nhs. My preferred option for large filling on back teeth is amalgam. Or an inlay. White inlays are available on the NHS. They are a band 3 item. Much more expensive than an amalgam or a white filling (both band 2). They are composite. Porcelain available privately but I don’t think they offer any advantage over all.

Private or NHS the filling material should be fit for purpose and guaranteed for 12 months.

NHS treatment is free if you are pregnant, have a baby under 12 months, are 18 or younger and in full time education. And if you are in receipt of certain (but not all stare benefits).

Not sure about the bupa thing as I’ve never dealt with them.

SuzzieWithEthics Thu 21-Feb-19 08:54:36

Thanks @bonzo77 so good to have an expert here. I have had different NHS dentists say different things so it's all been so confusing. Why do they interpret it so differently?

Is the difference between the NHS and private fillings is one is composite and the other is porcelain?

bonzo77 Thu 21-Feb-19 09:19:49

We all interpret it differently based on how money orientated we are, what our patients want / need / tolerate, and how ethical we are, frankly.

It could be either. But for £500 I’d be hoping porcelain. You’d need to ask.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »