Talk

Advanced search

to think that I have started to watch the worst film ever made?

(361 Posts)
Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 00:57:52

It's called Fences.
It's essentially a monologue from Denzel Washington.

Perhaps it's supposed to be a study on social injustices at the time, but I have endured 40 minutes of it and literally can't take one more second!

Please don't tell me that this is some sort of award winning film and that I'm a bit thick or something?

I'd heard the title before which is why I thought it would be good. 40 minutes in, and literally nothing has happened. Except yer man ranting on and fucking on and fucking on.

I love Denzel usually, and his acting is good, but fuck me, the writing is pure and utter unadulterated shite!

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 00:58:52

Anyone else watched endured this film?

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:00:34

If I plough on through, will something actually happen in the stupid thing? Or is it more a sort of constant commentary?

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:01:41

Never seen such shite in all my life.

Butterymuffin Thu 21-Feb-19 01:03:25

Never heard of it but you have surely given it a fair go by now. Switch off and watch The Equalizer or something else instead.

AgnesNaismith Thu 21-Feb-19 01:03:27

Omg I actually went to the cinema to watch fences. YANBU. 50 million years of my life I won’t get back.

AgnesNaismith Thu 21-Feb-19 01:04:16

And I believe it is award winning.

HostessTrolley Thu 21-Feb-19 01:04:49

I haven’t seen that one but I love shite films. Blades of Glory was on the other night - that’s a corker. My personal best was a film I watched years ago about a teenage boy who kidnapped Elvis and took him home to cheer up his depressed mum. I sat until the early hours with my (now departed) nanna waiting for it to improve. It didn’t. Happy times 😂

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:05:05

Plus, the character as he is, doesn't ring true to life. He seems to be alcoholic, racist, bigoted, abusive and potentially insane (manic or certainly has ADHD). I was waiting for him to hit his wife or son or something. Something to make sense of this character. That his language is so violent and his tone so aggressive doesn't tie in with him being a loving husband.
Who the fuck wrote this shit?

Justagirlwholovesaboy Thu 21-Feb-19 01:05:53

All shite movies win awards...give me the Lego move any day....everything is awesome!!!

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:07:39

Well thank Christ I'm not the only neanderthal who can't appreciate art!

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:08:53

Well Denzel deserves an award for remembering 40 minutes of utter drivel.

IncrediblySadToo Thu 21-Feb-19 01:09:25

Get back to me when you’ve watched Moulin Rouge or Atonrmeny

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:10:23

Hostess If you love shite films, I can highly recommend this one as being shite in the extreme.

theworldistoosmall Thu 21-Feb-19 01:10:52

Is it boring shite or just shite?
I need some dull boring shite to watch to fall to sleep to. Only thing I miss about giving up actual tv, cannot find any snooker lol.

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:11:09

I tried watching MoulinRouge if it's the one with Nicole Kidman in it. Couldn't stand that one either!

DulciUke Thu 21-Feb-19 01:11:12

You mean the film based on the Pulitzer Prize winning play? The one that Denzel Washington and Viola Davis got nominated for Academy Awards? (She won). Not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, perhaps, but that doesn’t make it shite. The main character isn’t meant to be likable.

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:12:18

Em, it is contemptuously boring and utter shite. But you won't be able to sleep because the main character is ranting and raving throughout.

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:13:11

That would be the one!

I never said I wanted to like him. I said his character doesn't make sense.

Dohee Thu 21-Feb-19 01:18:55

Denzel let me down. Usually anything he is in is good. I'm now going to be wary. I had a feeling this one had won awards, something in the back of my brain rang a bell when I saw the title. Heavens above! What a load of unbearable crap though!

Kia123456 Thu 21-Feb-19 01:21:15

Oh dear, I really liked it!

HostessTrolley Thu 21-Feb-19 01:21:40

Yeah Moulin Rouge. There was so much hype about it. I sat through it feeling confused and completely thick, wondering what everyone else was seeing but I was missing.

There was a pretty bad horror one called the babadook too. Mortified thinking back about that one - teen Dd had new boyfriend over and we decided horror film and pizza night. Pretty much the opening scene is the single mum having some solo ‘me’ time in the bedroom. Cringe.

gokartdillydilly Thu 21-Feb-19 01:22:50

Gave it twenty minutes. So disappointing and actually fucking horrible. Got so irritated we switched off and watched Hector instead. So so so much better, sincere and heart-warming.

NunoGoncalves Thu 21-Feb-19 01:26:19

It's typical Oscar bait. I made the same mistake with Roma this week. Turned it off halfway through. So excruciatingly dull.

BartonHollow Thu 21-Feb-19 01:29:27

It was a play and I heard it didn't translate well to screen.

I haven't seen it but it can't be as bad as The Shape Of Water, Alita or Roma all of which are utter shite

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: