Talk

Advanced search

To think current pop music is telling us something very disturbing about the nation’s youth?

(194 Posts)
DonaldTwain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:29:20

Watching the Brit awards (I know, why).
Ed Sheehan. Calvin Harris. Sam Smith. All of whom in my day (hitches bosom) would have been pure radio two fodder.
Only grime gives me hope. What the fuck is wrong with kids today? Not enough class As?

catgirl1976 Wed 20-Feb-19 21:30:42

Meh. Mainstream music has always been bland.

YouTheCat Wed 20-Feb-19 21:31:06

They are all a bit 'Val Doonican' aren't they? grin

EwItsAHooman Wed 20-Feb-19 21:31:52

They all sit at home Instagramming everything and Snapchatting instead of getting off their faces on White Lightning at the house of whoever's parents were on holiday like we used to do.

DonaldTwain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:32:37

Yes it has but there has always been a sub culture (or several) that are more interesting.
Not now - save for grime.

jacksonmaine Wed 20-Feb-19 21:33:45

grin Yes it's odd. What happened to Pete Doherty and the likes...

Babooshkar Wed 20-Feb-19 21:33:47

Sam Smith is dullness personified.

EstrellaDamn Wed 20-Feb-19 21:33:47

And according to a report the other day they don't want to waste money on booze.

All the 20-somethings I work with are lovely, but boring as fuck. They bring their cars on works nights out.

confused

sushisuperstar Wed 20-Feb-19 21:33:51

Save us. I'm not watching it. No doubt Jess Glynn will be on torturing the listeners too lol

NothingOnTellyAgain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:34:32

What about that music style where some of the artists are banned?

I like grime sound a lot

jacksonmaine Wed 20-Feb-19 21:35:25

My DC in their 20s cross the road when a smoker is within 10ft.

NothingOnTellyAgain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:35:54

I think it's not music now it's other stuff they are tribal about

Plus imagine growing up where every indiscretion is plastered all over the Internet no wonder they stay sober

Vulpine Wed 20-Feb-19 21:36:06

You obviously don't remember the era of stock aitken and watermark. There's always been bland pop music with the more subversive stuff bubbling away underneath. Chill

DonaldTwain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:36:29

They’re a very nervous generation aren’t they. Alcohol scares them. Edgy music scares them. Biological facts, apparently, scare them.
Yet they all want to vote for Corbyn, who scares me. Go figure.

NothingOnTellyAgain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:38:31

Having said that I went to a dance festival thing and there were loads of truly fucked youngsters there as well as more one people than used to be (like me!)

The main festivals are all v middle aged now

Our generation kept at it

Youngsters must be donig something else

They aren't in the pubs either they're all full of old duffers as well

thenightsky Wed 20-Feb-19 21:38:53

What about that music style where some of the artists are banned?

You mean the punk rock of the 70s? Where are the Sex Pistols of today?

catgirl1976 Wed 20-Feb-19 21:38:58

Is there no sub culture? That’s terrible. I’m too old to know and DS is only 7. I assumed there would be. I was a goth and then a Crasher kid. No shortage of class a’s and decent music. Hopefully they’ll be something other than instagram and Jess bloody Glynn for ds when he’s older

Vulpine Wed 20-Feb-19 21:39:31

*waterman

SpamChaudFroid Wed 20-Feb-19 21:39:52

Matty Healy calling out misogyny in rap music and Jess Glynne taking her make-up off as part of her performance. Also 50% of the nominees are women for I think the 1st time ever? So not all bad. smile

Music so bland tho. Remember that year when So Solid absolutely killed it with their performance of 21 Seconds?

DonaldTwain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:40:52

Who’s the bearded MPSIA twat presenting? Smug, not funny, like all modern comedy now except that made by Armando iannuci, who is old like me

GregoryPeckingDuck Wed 20-Feb-19 21:41:39

WTF is grime? Besides the whole indie thing is still going strong. Folk rock is starting to die down but a lot of artists from that scene have matured nicely. Then there are a whole bunch of musicians that just produce the most random shit. I think it’s just at the point now where the really really good artists from alt rock/indie/folk rock movements have managed to grow out of their genre but keep their audience so it’s more about particular artists than types of music. Consequently everyone over 30 only seems to be aware of pop music now that there are no ‘token artist from x subculture’ types.

WallisFrizz Wed 20-Feb-19 21:43:15

Fucking hell, times must be bad if So Solid Crew are being lauded as musical genius 😁

Yippeee Wed 20-Feb-19 21:43:23

And George Ezra. Very clean cut.

kenandbarbie Wed 20-Feb-19 21:43:52

They don't have sex anymore either. Sad times.

NothingOnTellyAgain Wed 20-Feb-19 21:46:02

Thenightsky I mean the ones the police keep putting bans on them doing the music

Implicated in gang violence

Bit chicken egg really

I'll find out

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »