Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help with wording please

(18 Posts)
ExHHouseHelp Wed 20-Feb-19 21:07:37

Hi all. I’m normally good at this kind of thing but am drawing a blank! I want to buy my mum a bangle for her 70th birthday and have the inside engraved with a short message. Something nice about mum/daughter might be nice but nothing too singsongy or over the top. I thought about just ‘To my lovely mum
on your 70th birthday. Love always. Xxx’ but thought it was a bit ‘meh’? I need to get it ordered and am overthinking it now I think! Any short and sweet ideas for me would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

BringOnTheScience Wed 20-Feb-19 21:10:21

Any family catchphrases? Things she used to say to you when you were little? A pet name she called you?

ExHHouseHelp Wed 20-Feb-19 21:12:42

Bringonthescience good idea but...not really! Nothing which springs to mind and is suitable anyway. Hmmm

Mammatron Wed 20-Feb-19 21:13:27

I'd go for something simple like "my mum, my best friend"

Flyingarcher Wed 20-Feb-19 21:20:45

For my fantastic mum/mother (whatever her mum moniker is)

Thank you for being fabulous ( or whatever phrase seems suitable, eg, a brilliant mum)

SandAndSea Wed 20-Feb-19 21:25:03

What a lovely idea! I can only add that my mum would have hated the reference to her 70th but she's funny like that.

AlaskanOilBaron Wed 20-Feb-19 21:27:57

My true north.

Anothertempusername Wed 20-Feb-19 21:29:40

@ExHHouseHelp I think your wording in the OP is perfect. It's authentic and from the heart. Not meh at all.

AdaColeman Wed 20-Feb-19 21:43:16

"Mother & daughter a special bond that spans the years".
(Or Mum & your name)

I'm another one who would hate any reference to 70th birthday!

abeautifulmess1234 Wed 20-Feb-19 21:44:05

First my mother, forever my friend

DailyBaileys Thu 21-Feb-19 01:34:44

I think what you wrote is very nice, too.
I might change the Love Always,
to, I love you dearly...
but that depends on your personal stlye.

Why I would want to say, 'I love you dearly', is because, Love Always, yes is good, but is rather 'standard' perhaps?
I know my Mum knew I loved her - I told her often - but now I fret as I'm not so sure she really knew just how much I truly did love her.
And now it's too late.

What a lovely gift for her 70th! She will surely treasure it.

Monty27 Thu 21-Feb-19 01:37:46

On your 70th mum, your loving daughter ....

ExHHouseHelp Thu 21-Feb-19 12:36:28

Thank you all! We’re not overly ‘lovey dovey’
In terms of showing affection but I do want her to know what she means. I’m also bound by a 55 character count which doesn’t help!

What do you think of...

‘For my Mum. Kind, caring...and loved so very much. MyName. X’

Any good? confused

ApolloandDaphne Thu 21-Feb-19 12:43:32

The last message sounds like something you would put in a headstone!

ExHHouseHelp Thu 21-Feb-19 12:45:57

Oh no!!! Ok, not that then! shockconfusedgrin

iklboo Thu 21-Feb-19 13:12:51

You are the star I navigate home by

Flyingarcher Fri 22-Feb-19 18:14:43

I don't think you have to put 'For my...' because it is obvious it is for her so you can keep the word count down.

I wouldn't know what to put either as we are not lovey dovey either.

ExHHouseHelp Sun 24-Feb-19 13:17:47

Thanks all. My mum wouldn’t mind the age reference I don’t think-it’ll be inside the bangle anyway so only she will see it. What about,

‘Happy 70th mum! You are very special and very loved. MyName. X’

I REALLY need to stop faffing and sort this now or it won’t be made in time. confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »