Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone has tried Huel?

(22 Posts)
Cutesbabasmummy Wed 20-Feb-19 14:30:06

I am repeatedly exposed to their marketing on Facebook (yeah I know I can get rid) but I wondered if any real people have tried it and what it's like? Slightly intrigued!

KM99 Wed 20-Feb-19 14:31:38

Friend did it for a couple of weeks to drop a little holiday weight gain. Said the taste was "meh".

MsAwesomeDragon Wed 20-Feb-19 14:33:47

My boss has it. He drinks it every day for lunch and swears by it. He reckons it stops him having to think about what to eat. He doesn't look like he's lost much/any weight though, but it might have stopped him putting more weight on.

I personally think it looks gross. It looks like very sloppy porridge and I can't imagine "eating" the same thing every day for lunch, especially something that looks so bland and unappetising. I'd far rather eat something with a bit of taste.

Hunter037 Wed 20-Feb-19 14:37:12

No thanks, I'd rather be overweight and eat food with taste and texture.

BettaSplenden Wed 20-Feb-19 14:37:22

Yeah I use it cos I'm not a breakfast person. I actually really enjoy it. Its not meant for weight loss but it has helped me lose weight. I think that's cos I don't crave so much shit. I like 3 scoops of huel with 250mls water and 250mls of chocolate soy milk. I have reffered a few mates and they love it. Also get £10 off for us both which is a winner x

GregoryPeckingDuck Wed 20-Feb-19 14:37:37

It’s not a weight loss tool. It’s a complete meal substitute. I use it sometimes because I am lazy and don’t like cooking. It tastes disgusting but I do feel good afterwards like I’ve eaten a fairly healthy meal.

EleanorAbernathy Wed 20-Feb-19 14:40:48

I like it, I work shifts and it saves on meal prep time! Really filling, I make it with almond milk and spinach in the blender, it comes out like slightly melted ice-cream, and I eat it with a spoon! grin

Myneighboursnorlax Wed 20-Feb-19 14:44:42

I really like it. You really need to use a blender though, don’t fall for their lies that you can just use their shake bottle! No matter how much I shook it, it was still lumpy! I mix white chocolate Options in mine, which gives it a creamier flavour.

ComeMonday Wed 20-Feb-19 15:03:33

I’ve never tried it but I once read an article about the inventor of Huel who supposedly at the time had gone for more than a year consuming only Huel and nothing but Huel. Apparently he was healthy enough but blimey.

ErickBroch Wed 20-Feb-19 15:05:17

My DP actually likes it, often has it for lunch.

PalmTree101 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:07:35

DP has it for 2x meals a day during the working week.

He is vegan and doesn't really have a passion for food, and he is time-poor. This suits him v well and he no longer has to think about eating enough calories or getting the right nutrients etc

He works in tech and loads of his office are on it now too!

Personally I like eating and thinking about food so it doesn't work for me, however the bars are a relatively healthy and tasty snack pre or post gym.

PalmTree101 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:08:25

You really need to use a blender though, don’t fall for their lies that you can just use their shake bottle!

100% need a blender. Just a quick blast but you can't shake it lump free.

PalmTree101 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:09:19

@Hunter037 huel isn't a weight loss product, so that is a pointless comment.

Cutesbabasmummy Wed 20-Feb-19 15:09:46

Ooh thanks for the replies! I was thinking of having it for breakfast and lunch for a couple of months to try and drop some weight - I know it's not a weight loss to in itself but if it's filling I won't eat so much crap! What flavours are good?

SpinningSister Wed 20-Feb-19 15:10:14

I was given some at a friends and it made me gag it was so weird tasting - I found out since it’s full of sweetners, more than say Diet Coke and it repelled me envy

Meralia Wed 20-Feb-19 15:10:30

I get their marketing posts on Facebook. Read the comments on their post though, they’re hilarious!

PalmTree101 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:10:42

@ComeMonday Huel have actually hanged their guidance and now do not say you can live on it alone. Apparently 10 scoops a day is the max you shoudl really have (two big sized meal worth) as after that you get too much flax in your diet and some other stuff.

PalmTree101 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:22:52

@SpinningSister FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS

You 'found out' - how did you 'find out'?

Please show me the comparison of sucrose between a diet coke and huel?

There is zero sweetener in a non-sweetened huel.

There are flavoured versions of huel - which you don't have to choose - and they do contain sweetener.

Sucralose in Huel
100g of any of the flavoured varieties of Huel contain 20mg sucralose which equates to 100mg sucralose per 2,000kcal

The amount of sucralose in Diet Coke with Sucralose sold by The Coca-Cola Company in the U.S. is 60 mg per 12-fl. oz. serving.

So 1000 calories (i.e. a large meal for most people)) of the sweetened huel contains less Sucralose than a single can of diet coke.

HelloSunshine11 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:31:04

DH gets through loads of it, has it twice a day I reckon. He makes his with two eggs and cocoa powder and water and then microwaves it so it goes almost like a cake. It looks gross but he likes it. I'd rather have real food but he is way healthier than I am.

Xtysnr Sat 23-Feb-19 01:40:35

I have been using Huel for several months. They have some very useful stuff on their website forums (kinda like this) where users ask questions or report on their weight loss/gains, recipes etc.
Here the lowdown as I see it.
1. Taste - as has been said blending it (and sticking it in the fridge for a while) makes it much better. Taste is a vanilla oat (quite sweet) and can be a bit odd or offputting to start. I wouldn’t advise buying different flavours to start with. Go for the original vanilla - you can buy flavour boosts (there is a sample pack of flavour boosts available) or search the suggestions on the forum (I often add the mint choc flavour or blend with some frozen fruit.
2. Dieting - as has been said, it’s not a weight loss product, but it can help those who want to lose or gain weight. But you know exactly how many calories (exact if you weigh it out, obviously scooping is a bit less precise) you are getting, and it’s pretty filling.
3. Vegan - all vegan friendly ingredients if that’s important to you
4. Nutrition - yes you can live in just Huel if you want, it’s just food. Most people don’t, they just use it for one or two meals a day. If you were to consume 2000 calories a day it would be providing everything you need. Carbs, protein, vitamins, minerals, omega 3, fibre, the works.
5. Convenience - yes people in this thread will comment they’d rather have “real” food, and that’s fine. Some people prefer Huel as they’ll be getting their nutrition, some because they can make it, take it to work and have something healthy and filling where maybe their alternative is not a healthy option. Some say the they’d rather eat a normal healthy meal, but actually for convenience often just head to McDonald’s or an unhealthy meal deal sandwich, crisps and a coke?

Any questions about it, I’d be happy to help.

Xtysnr

Xtysnr Sat 23-Feb-19 01:48:31

<sigh> hit the post button before reading through and realised some words were missing near the end so it’s a bit of a word salad in there.

The end was supposed to say something about how many of us make sure we’ve got a balanced healthy lunch, and how often do we get something convenient and quick, but less ideal? In those circumstances Huel could be a better alternative to have on hand.

olderthanyouthink Sat 23-Feb-19 02:29:13

DP has started on it recently I call it his baby formula

He's learn the blender is needed too. He's not a fan of the flavour boost things, I think the best was banana but that's like very fake banana flavouring (compares it to nesquik). He used cocoa powder for a while but said that made his mouth feel weird so he's switched to hot chocolate powder.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »