Talk

Advanced search

To share what my Smear nurse said?

(303 Posts)
LellowYedbetter Wed 20-Feb-19 12:53:05

On Friday I went for my smear ... after two weeks of dreading it. The embarrassment, the awkwardness, what if I smell? What if the nurse thinks I look weird down there? What if .. what if ... what if ...

Well I got there and sat down. The nurse made small talk about unrelated stuff and then sighed and said “I’ve got 12 smears today, all one after another! I’m going to be smeared out by the time I leave work!”

Ok so apart from the “smeared out” comment making me laugh like a giggling school kid I IMMEDIATELY relaxed. This procedure that is a nightmare for the patient is just one of many jobs on that nurses list. There are at least 11 other women having their smear today with this one nurse. As if this nurse is going to remember the smelly fanny of patient number 3, or the hairy legs of patient number 1, or the fat belly of patient number 8 ... it made me realise that although the procedure is a massive deal for the patient, to the nurse it’s just another 20 minute appointment. It helped me. And I’m posting this hoping it might help others?

NewYoiker Tue 05-Mar-19 12:04:34

Just has my smear. Wasn't the nicest feeling but it might safe my life.

The most awkward thing was thinking '*where do I put my knickers?'* there was a chair but her smear stuff was on that I didn't want to put them under it as she'd have had to stand on them so I put them on what I thought was a ledge behind the curtain and in fact it was a window ledge and I had just put my knickers on display for the street to see.. blush🤦‍♀️

YoungGiftedwithflab32 Sun 24-Feb-19 00:06:56

I have had many a smear, infact I'm probably only here today because of going for a smear! I had a lot of precancerous cells in the past and had to have treatment twice, colposcopy is much more awkward than having a smear as you have at least two Dr/ nurses in the room and they use a camera to look at your cervix 😬 and you can watch it on a telly too!

Some smears were quick and easy, some uncomfortable but you just lie back think of somewhere nice and get on with it, a chatty nurse helps me get through.

But before my first one I remember dreading it because when I was very young my mother had to have a smear and took me with her ( I think her GP performed it!), So there she was behind the curtain with the Dr and I was sat the other side, I heard her cry out like the Dr had hurt her so had a peek around the curtain to see what was going on, now bear in mind I was very young probably about 4/5, never knew what a smear was or that they existed, I saw my darling mother half naked will her legs wide open, a light shining on her foof and some grey metal hanging out of her!! It was terrifying! Scarred for life!!! 😧

iolaus Sat 23-Feb-19 18:13:25

I don't do smears (well have them myself but don't take them) but am a midwife and if during a vaginal examination the cervix is too posterior to reach the woman putting her hands in fists under her bum does tilt the cervix forward so its easier to reach - so I imagine it would be the same during a smear

I've, personally, never had an issue having smears in terms of pain etc (although I was embarrassed when younger and did put it off for several years when I was a teenager (showing my age but it used to be 18 or sexually active and I went on the pill at 16 so the GP would nag me) - though I didn't find a coil insertion hurt either and chatted to the doctor about whether her flight would be cancelled as she was going on holiday the next day and it was snowing.
The part about wanting someone you don't know I can relate to though, when I wanted my coil out it got lost and was referred to gynae - messaged my friend who worked in that hospital asking who Mr X's registrar was - it was someone I didn't know. Walked into the clinic only to be greeted by a doctor I not only knew (and still friends with on facebook even though he's moved away) but at one point had a had a little crush on - he did offer to get someone else but I didn't really care at that point (little embarassed next time I saw him though)

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Feb-19 18:11:11

Ok, the end part of your post here

It doesn't seem to be true according to CR that cell changes are no longer tested for but only the HPV virus.

makes it sound like you’d misunderstood the changes to screening regarding primary HPV testing. I’m glad you haven’t. smile

littleV58 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:09:22

I can't have my smear for about 7 months as I'm pregnant... was due one in September and I never got the letter, fell pregnant had a miscarriage and then fell pregnant again and honestly I've got smear fear! I'm so worried because I've missed my last one I cannot wait to be able to have it!

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 18:01:30

What you're stating is whats literally coming in now. Which is why many pp conflict, as the test being discussed are different, it used to be the other way around, sort of, can't claim to be an expert, but I actually posted in response to pp saying she'd got cin3 and was being told thats not even 'precancer' or whatever, and I was posting the evidence on CR of what this actually is, and what the grades are.

All info I posted came.from CR

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Feb-19 17:57:06

I’m not sure whether we’re talking at criss purposes or not.

Do you agree...
Woman attends screening test for smear.
Sample sent off.
Lab tests for hpv.
If positive, cells looked at.
If abnormal cells detected, appropriate treatment (either watch and wait or referral)

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 17:53:50

...that's because the test has literally just been changed, so any who havent had it done very recently wouldn't know

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Feb-19 17:53:01

Which “test” are you talking about smother?

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 17:52:12

ed in a similar way
this is the page its on just scroll down and it has a diagram

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Feb-19 17:51:44

In your post you say that it is incorrect that the screening programme only tests for hpv. That’s not what the quote is talking about. confused

Dohee Sat 23-Feb-19 17:50:50

When they did my colposcopy, the whole thing is on a screen. In fucking HD. The doctor could see I was a little curious and distressed so he explained it to me. I suppose the skin or surface looks a little bit like the inside of your mouth. But in places, you could see bigger cells or whatever. They seemed to be in one side only though. So if you can imagine a honeycomb structure, and then it getting bigger in places? They were apparently the pre-cancerous cells. They were different to the other cells/surface.

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 17:50:04

Purple I already quoted the source!??

Here's the actual blurb though, lifted off the CR site and pasted...
^Cervical glandular intraepithelial neoplasia (CGIN)
Your biopsy results may show CGIN. This means there are changes to the glandular cells that line the inside of the cervix. Without treatment these cells could develop into a type of cervical cancer called adenocarcinoma.^

CGIN is less common than CIN, but is treat

StrangeLookingParasite Sat 23-Feb-19 17:44:09

God imagine having to do 12 smears.....that’s 12 vaginas that you have to get eyeballs on to ! Way to many vaginas

Both my sisters are nurses, and I remember when my eldest sister did her midwifery rotation; she referred to it as 'fannies, fannies and more fannies'. No, it wasn't her area, ultimately. My other sister's a midwife, though.

I hate doing them. I do them anyway, but I hate 'em. I had a miscarriage before having my son, and at the time had the roughest internal exam I've ever had, and went into cervical shock.
I discovered my wonderful gynaecologist, though, who's absolutely brilliant, and has taken out a Mirena and given me a smear without any problems at all.

PurpleDaisies Sat 23-Feb-19 17:43:50

Oh and BTW, the test (according to cancer research, but who are they to know anyway), also tests for GCIN, which I'm sure you will know is adenocarcinoma, not as common, but cancer nonetheless and very dangerous left undetetected and untreated.

It doesn't seem to be true according to CR that cell changes are no longer tested for but only the HPV virus.

Can I have a source for this?

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 17:43:26

Ignore the link it doesn't take you to the diagram, shame.

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 17:42:30

this is a link to a diagram of the explanation

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 17:40:49

^CIN 3 – the full thickness of the lining covering the cervix has abnormal cells
CIN 3 may also be called carcinoma in situ or CIS.^
This ^ is on the CR site

nrpmum Sat 23-Feb-19 17:36:00

Reminds me I need to book mine in soon.

Smotheroffive Sat 23-Feb-19 17:33:13

Read back the excerpt from CR that states CIN3 is also referred to as CIS cancer in situ, and
...oh, just read it, as that's what it says... I dont now know what post that comment related to. Just that the CR stated otherwise,so I put it in the pp

sprouts21 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:22:48

Wind your neck in.

If that's directed at me I don't appreciate it.Cin 3 is NOT cancer and is unlikely to progress to cancer.

www.healthtalk.org/peoples-experiences/cancer/cervical-abnormalities-cin3-and-cgin/what-cin

PositiveVibez Sat 23-Feb-19 11:52:34

it can’t be pleasant, genitals (male and female) really aren’t the most attractive appealing things

I'm sure it's just another procedure to them. It takes seconds to take a swab. I'm sure they just do it and think nothing more of it. A fanny is a fanny is a fanny.

exLtEveDallas Sat 23-Feb-19 11:03:55

I'm lucky in that I've never had any issues with having smears.

Way back in the mists of time I was one of only 3 women on an Army camp of 600 blokes. The doc was a nice chap, but looked very 'rabbit in the headlights' whenever I went for an appt - he just wasn't used to dealing with women. When he had to do my smear he looked terrified - he was far more uncomfortable than I was! Saying that though, I actually think his was one of the most gentle I've had - someone who does them as a matter of course is probably more 'get it over and done with' whereas he took his time and spoke throughout the procedure.

VietnameseCrispyFish Sat 23-Feb-19 10:31:35

God imagine having to do 12 smears.....that’s 12 vaginas that you have to get eyeballs on to ! Way to many vaginas

I have a lot of respect for nurses who spend entire days doing smear tests, it can’t be pleasant, genitals (male and female) really aren’t the most attractive appealing things unless they’re attached to someone you fancy in the heat of the moment! And I imagine they get a range of hygiene levels. I couldn’t do it. They deserve to be paid much more than they are imo.

sashh Sat 23-Feb-19 08:03:38

Because the nurse is lovely and I like the idea of a post smear chocolate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »