Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by people adjusting my DDs name

(273 Posts)
Blackcelebration73 Wed 20-Feb-19 04:12:20

My DD is called Megan. We call her Megan at home.
Other people seem to think it’s ok to change it to other versions:
Meg
Meggy
Megs
Her name is Megan and that is what we call her at home.
Aibu to think people should just call her by the name her parents use & not make names up?! It really bloody irritates me

Piglet89 Mon 25-Feb-19 21:24:11

Wow, slow news day over at the Sun, was it?

flowersaremyfave Mon 25-Feb-19 18:21:11

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/8498143/mum-blasts-pals-making-up-names-for-baby/?utmcampaign=sunmainfacebook&utmm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1551100942

pinkstripeycat Sun 24-Feb-19 16:11:22

I know someone called Abbie. When she was at school teachers would call her Abigail. She got told off for correcting them. Her name is not Abigail shortened to Abbie - it is just Abbie

Quintella Sat 23-Feb-19 11:45:34

*who they refer to. (apols Joe and Dan!)

Quintella Sat 23-Feb-19 11:45:05

I'm a bit bewildered by someone having one son called Joseph that they refer to as Joe and another son called Daniel that they never refer to as Dan but get annoyed if anyone else does! grin

Quintella Sat 23-Feb-19 11:41:43

Meggers

Nat6999 Sat 23-Feb-19 11:34:00

My DS is called Thomas, both pupils & staff at school all him Tom, he hates it, he says to anyone calling him Tom, my name is Thomas. He is called Thomas by family & we wouldn't dream of calling him anything else because Thomas is his name.

Antonin Sat 23-Feb-19 11:21:03

No idea why but no-one in my immediate or (small) extended family has ever had their name shortened even though the names have an obvious short form. Wish I knew what the secret was as I could then sell it on eBay to MN people who hate nn. Guess never being called a diminutive in childhood by family meant we didn’t label ourselves with one. Do think that there appears to be a greater tendency to use nn now? Certainly the use of S or Z is relatively new. Showing my age, but it seemed to start to become common in the 1960.

Antonin Sat 23-Feb-19 11:11:30

Don’t move to NZ then OP because Megan ( other spellings are available) is almost invariably pronounced as Mee- gan with the emphasis on the EE sound

CountFosco Fri 22-Feb-19 20:39:27

Is the issue not what does your daughter like to be called?

The OP has repeatedly said her daughter gets annoyed when people don't call her Megan.

Louise2092 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:36:09

You'd hate me then. My sister is Meaghan (pronounced Megan) and I only ever really call her that when talking to people outside of family. To me she's either meagzy, meags or Morgana (started calling her this as a child when she was into Disney as it's the sea witch from little mermaids uglier sister's name... she was 22 before she caught on). She's also often referred to as precious as she's had/has a lot of health issues and to us she is precious as we could have lost hee a few times.

I think it depends on the nickname, the reason behind it and whether or not she likes it. If my sister ever asked me not to call her one of my many names for her then I'd make the effort not to but it's her choice as it's her name.

PurplePenguins Fri 22-Feb-19 18:52:12

Everyone's name gets shortened, lengthened or altered. I deliberately chose names that can't or are hard to shorten but people lengthened them instead (similar to Rose altered to Rosie). I dont like but they don't mind so I accept it. People call me by my surname mostly. It is a surname that can be used as a first name. Some people don't actually know what my first name is unless I've introduced myself to them 😂

StarlightLady Fri 22-Feb-19 06:56:20

Is the issue not what does your daughter like to be called?

blueskiesovertheforest Fri 22-Feb-19 06:43:10

masktaster I used to teach secondary and always started with the register name but if the child asked me to use a conventional shortened form I'd always do so without any reference to the parents. I think this has to be right for children of 11 and over.
Calling them an entirely different name or a really whacky or overly casual nickname (like surname based nicknames) would step too far, but Tom for Thomas, Izzy or Bella for Isabel, or whatever is utterly fair if the child prefers it and any parent who chooses a name they object to the conventional/ traditional diminutive forms of is extremely short sighted!

Sb74 Thu 21-Feb-19 23:44:49

My daughter is Megan. We call her Moo moo, Meggy moo, Meggy boo boo, Meg Mog, Boo, Meg- never really Megan unless she’s being naughty. She’s nearly 12. Her friends call her meggy etc too. I don’t mind at all. My son is Thomas so he gets a load of different names too. It’s nice. Relax!!!!!

Proseccoagain Thu 21-Feb-19 23:08:23

I had a friend at school called Doreen.
We always used to pronounce it as Dooreen.
Her mother used to say, no, it's D'reeen.
She still got called Dooreen.

Motherontheedge1 Thu 21-Feb-19 22:38:34

Have to say as a teacher I’ve only once been in a position where the child and parents were at odds over the child’s name. On that occasion it was a name that was impossible to shorten and the little boy said it was a girls name and hated it. I often wonder what he calls himself now and whether he’s changed it by deed poll.

goose1964 Thu 21-Feb-19 21:24:58

I'm always known by my full name rather than a diminutive. I just introduce myself by my name, if any one calls me by the accepted diminutive I ignore them because that's DH's name. Let your daughter decide what she wants to do

masktaster Thu 21-Feb-19 21:17:06

Curious about people who say that, as teachers/etc, they defer to a parent - what do you do when the child states a clear preference that goes against parental wishes?

Eg, when I did my teacher training, I was in a Year One class. There was a child in this class called Isobel (name changed). The teacher, and therefore I, referred to her as Isobel. I noticed over time that she was consistently writing "Bella" as her name on her work. When I asked the teacher, he said that that was the child's preferred name ( to the extent that she was Bella at home, at least to her sisters ) but her parents insisted she be called Isobel at school. I still feel sad about this sometimes, as her own preference was being disregarded by her family, and then, because of this, by school.

manicmij Thu 21-Feb-19 21:11:31

YANBU, To me it is laziness and disrespectful to assume it to be okay to shorten or change your DDs name. Hate to hear all the abbreviations given to names, latest I just cannot hack is Em for Emma. For goodness sake how hard is it to say Emma.

MummyofTw0 Thu 21-Feb-19 20:59:58

My daughter is only 3 and people shorten her name. I hate it so I always correct people

The reason being, I love her name and the shortened name just feels like a completely
Different name

I do appreciate when she's older though, people will shorten it, especially when she is at school,
And if she chooses to, that's fine

But whilst she's young enough, I'm happy to continue with her true and proper name and ensure that others do too

BackforGood Thu 21-Feb-19 20:01:27

Why on earth would you name your kid Daniel if you hate the name Dan ?

Quite.
We ruled out a few names that we liked because we didn't like the obvious shortenings.

If you’re irritated by this you’re going to spend the rest of your life feeling irritated.

This is it in a nutshell. It’s something that a lot of people do, like it or not. It’s the same with people calling you “dear” or “love”. If they don’t mean any harm or offence by it then I wouldn’t seek to take it (although I do agree it’s polite to call someone by the name by which they introduce themselves to you or refer to themselves).

Quite.

user1467536289 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:31:17

I think you are NBU
My DD is Libby - plain and simple
My sister thinks she should be called Liberty and calls her "Liberty-Belle"
Other people call her "Lib" or "Libs"
Now she's older she doesn't mind - but she used to feel like people didn't know her 'proper name'
There's no way of stopping this though - people just do it and you can't waste time feeling upset. It's endearment at the end of the day and it's never meant to deliberately upset you or your child.

dragonsfire Thu 21-Feb-19 19:29:02

Other friend hates Danielle not Danni!!!

dragonsfire Thu 21-Feb-19 19:28:07

I have two friends called Danielle- one of them was introduced to me as Danni, I called her Danni for years then she said she actually doesn’t like it and prefers Danielle so I started calling her Danielle.

My other Danielle friend absolutely detests being called Danni so she is always known as Danni.

I don’t see how the concept of someone not being allowed to say how they prefer their name pronounced is up for discussion!

It’s personal choice you can’t dictate being able to shorten or change someone’s name.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »