Talk

Advanced search

To have a flight planned for 29 March?

(64 Posts)
ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 00:54:04

Just that, really. Will it be utter chaos trying to get in/out of the UK on 29-30 March? If I need to travel, is it better to wait a few days? I’ll need to book a cat sitter and don’t want my fur babies alone if I can’t get back into the country confused

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 22-Feb-19 14:27:39

barkinatthemoon

We're flying out on the 2nd April and back on the 10th. Not in the slightest bit worried but lots of people must be because the airlines were practically giving away the seats.

Doodlebug5 Thu 21-Feb-19 22:37:59

I fly out for work on the 25th and come back on the 1st... I think I'll be at the airport early just in case

WilkoBrandCleaner Thu 21-Feb-19 22:32:54

Should we have a back up plan for the cats?

Nina, I would say as you're worried it would be a good idea, it will put your mind at rest and then you can enjoy your trip.

For example you could just ask your catsitter whether s/he would be available in an emergency just in case you couldn't get back when expected.

If so, you can go away knowing that they'll be cared for even if there are issues. And assuming you get back as expected, then no harm done from having the plan in place.

gallicgirl Thu 21-Feb-19 22:30:01

Flights will continue but at 2018 levels so some new routes might be affected.

It was announced that the EU were agreeing to waive visas but I've since read that this has been blocked by Spain because of Gibraltar.

Dfds and Eurostar are offering Brexit guarantees in case they are unable to operate.

At the very least, I'm expecting longer queues. I think we'll be holidaying in the UK this year.

soupmaker Thu 21-Feb-19 22:20:24

We're flying to Spain on 30 March! Booked the flights without a second thought of Brexit! Have checked passports, renewed EHIC cards, got insurance and contemplating getting international driving permits for me and DH as we're hiring from the airport in Spain. We may not come back!

Hillarious Thu 21-Feb-19 22:02:20

To repeat what a pp said - ensure you have at least 6 months left on your passport for your return trip.

My boss is heavily involved in the Brexit process and I'm about to stock up on bottled water and tinned tomatoes!

ContinuityError Thu 21-Feb-19 21:56:51

Thanks Back - that’s what I thought. Seems to be the same deal for lorry movements as well (cabotage?).

Backinthebox Thu 21-Feb-19 21:19:32

ContinuityError imo no, these are the kind of flights that fall outside of the agreements which predate the EU.

ContinuityError Thu 21-Feb-19 21:13:55

Back in the event of no deal, would UK based airlines be able to fly routes entirely within the EU27? For instance, if a UK airline normally flies London - Paris - Berlin - London, can they still fly the Paris - Berlin leg?

Backinthebox Thu 21-Feb-19 12:25:50

The majority of airlines that operate out of the UK are British registered and will not have a problem, as they are UK based, UK registered. The airlines who have problems will be the ones who are registered in another country who want to operate out of the UK. Such as certain low cost carriers.

DippyAvocado Wed 20-Feb-19 13:39:57

There must be travel insurance to cover people travelling then.

Insurance policies don't tend to cover political disruption. Flights have to be refunded by the airline but there is no guarantee that travel insurance will cover additional costs. I read an article somewhere about this recently and the journalist had called several insurance companies whose response to what happened in the event of a no-deal Brexit was "We don't know".

ContinuityError Wed 20-Feb-19 13:29:38

There is an EU agreement to provide basic air connectivity by allowing flights to continue for 7 months in the event of no deal, but as Dippy says, this has yet to be formally ratified.

There is also the issue that there were a number of new flights due to be added to the schedule this year, which wouldn't be covered under this agreement as it caps flight schedules to 2018 levels.

www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2019/02/19/basic-air-connectivity-in-the-event-of-no-deal-brexit-provisional-agreement-with-the-parliament/

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 13:26:15

@backinthebox, I’m reassured by your inside perspective but as above, the government sounds less certain? I do hope they’re just being overly cautious. Should we have a back up plan for the cats?

CandyFlossLegend Wed 20-Feb-19 13:21:11

There must be travel insurance to cover people travelling then.

MadisonAvenue Wed 20-Feb-19 13:18:21

We fly home from Prague on the evening of the 29th. The date never crossed my mind when booking it.

DippyAvocado Wed 20-Feb-19 13:17:15

The government say different in their publication linked upthread Backinthebox. They specifically state planes will not be able to fly unless at least a skeleton agreement is agreed (which it probably will be as the EU have arrangements for this in their contingency planning).

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 13:11:46

Whoops, I meant Five Freedoms. Planes will still be able to fly.

birdsandroses Wed 20-Feb-19 12:55:30

@grumpyoldpersonwithcats, after I wrote it I thought not the best phrase to use on this subject, but was too tired to change it! grin

WeAllKnowDave Wed 20-Feb-19 12:54:53

@Idiota by name....

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 12:41:45

The rules which govern international flight and whether airlines can take off and land are the Five Greedoms, outlined in the Chicago Convention of 1944 and predate the EU. Planes will fly. Any other professional aviators (as I am) here have a different opinion, I’ll be happy to discuss.

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Feb-19 10:14:01

The Chief Executives of the airlines are still saying that they don't know if the planes will fly.

They state that, those on package deals will be fully refunded.

Everyone else will have flights only refunded. Any other refunds will have to come from insurance.

Idiota Wed 20-Feb-19 10:07:13

It’s not the visa situation I’m worried about - it’s whether the planes will actually be able to fly.

In the event of no deal, then no agreements about use of airspace will be in place, which could mean that planes wouldn’t legally be able to fly.

needsleepzzz Wed 20-Feb-19 10:01:14

Might help: www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-nationals-travelling-to-eu-essential-information

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Feb-19 09:53:51

Martin Lewis did a piece on this.

Basically, you need six months on your passport and good comprehensive insurance.

Renew your EHIC, they will still honour them.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 09:49:58

I suppose I’m hoping it will be like flying on Christmas, quiet and easy as most people will avoid it 🤷‍♀️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »