Talk

Advanced search

To have a flight planned for 29 March?

(64 Posts)
ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 00:54:04

Just that, really. Will it be utter chaos trying to get in/out of the UK on 29-30 March? If I need to travel, is it better to wait a few days? I’ll need to book a cat sitter and don’t want my fur babies alone if I can’t get back into the country confused

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 07:21:23

I might be surprised, but as an airline pilot I’m expecting to go to work, fly a plane, come home. As I usually do. There might be a bit of confusion, like when Terminal 5 opened and nothing worked quite right to start with, but I don’t think there will be a complete termination of all aviation as some people have been predicting. That would go against the internationally agreed (long before the EU began) Freedoms of the Air as set out in the 1944 Chicago Convention.

sulflower Wed 20-Feb-19 07:24:52

One of the most important things to remember is that you must have at least 6 months left on your passport on your return date. However if like me your new passport was issued for 10 years and 6 months and the ten years was up, that additional 6 months does not count. So in that scenario you would actually need a full 12 months left on your passport.

Luvacuppatea Wed 20-Feb-19 07:49:14

Flying to Europe at around 9.00am on 29th a March, so should be airborne before the perceived ‘chaos’ ensues.....

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Feb-19 07:55:16

As someone who works a lot with Pet Passports the advice we have been from DEFRA has been to prepare for the worst -we crash out no deal and are treaty as a third party state and all those pets need blood tests and a holding period of three months. But to hope for the best - everything continues as before.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Wed 20-Feb-19 08:03:36

All will be up in the air in a no deal scenario.
Isn't the issue that it won't be? grin.
DS2 is going to Italy shortly after the 29th. I'll be watching with interest to see if it happens.

SherlockSays Wed 20-Feb-19 08:06:06

It'll be absolutely fine. It wouldn't even cross my mind to avoid travelling on that day.

Frazzled2207 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:09:56

I think flights will be ok. Getting a ferry to/from Dover will be another matter entirely.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 08:28:42

What will happen with ferries @frazzled2207? Is it likely there will be disruption to the trains (eurostar) as well?

Frazzled2207 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:36:18

@nina
At Dover the concern is freight. If no deal tariffs will be on exports and imports which makes bringing stuff in an out of the country a lot more complicated.
Whereas in theory passenger travel shouldn't be affected there is plenty of talk of 20mile tailbacks trying to get into Dover for example.

I suspect Eurostar like flights will be mostly ok.

Frazzled2207 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:37:16

@nina
At Dover the concern is freight. If no deal tariffs will be on exports and imports which makes bringing stuff in an out of the country a lot more complicated.
Whereas in theory passenger travel shouldn't be affected there is plenty of talk of 20mile tailbacks trying to get into Dover for example.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/14/dover-could-suffer-20-mile-permanent-traffic-jam-after-brexit

I suspect Eurostar like flights will be mostly ok.

WeAllKnowDave Wed 20-Feb-19 08:38:37

The Government announced a few days ago that flights will be unaffected due to an agreement they have signed. I don’t blame you for not knowing about it, as the left wing media didn’t report it!

WeAllKnowDave Wed 20-Feb-19 08:40:08

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiv1rbe9MngAhXGposKHQwsDfcQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6714049%2FUK-lorries-planes-allowed-Europe-no-deal-Brexit.html&psig=AOvVaw1IZao_cLOfnSb0bBhLJvaS&ust=1550738369358921

barkinatthemoon Wed 20-Feb-19 08:41:50

we're flying to Spain in 1st April.... couldn't work out why the flights were so cheap until after we'd booked them 🤣! Just hoping for the best, that's all we can do x

DippyAvocado Wed 20-Feb-19 08:55:48

The EU contingency plan proposals state that short-term, EU-UK flights can continue as they currently exist. It is important to note that these plans have not yet been ratified by the European Parliament (says as much in the DM link above).

There are no clear arrangements to what happens with code share flights between EU and UK operators.

Personally, given the lack of information I think there'll be all sorts of confusion around that time so I plan to avoid travelling.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 09:49:58

I suppose I’m hoping it will be like flying on Christmas, quiet and easy as most people will avoid it 🤷‍♀️

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Feb-19 09:53:51

Martin Lewis did a piece on this.

Basically, you need six months on your passport and good comprehensive insurance.

Renew your EHIC, they will still honour them.

needsleepzzz Wed 20-Feb-19 10:01:14

Might help: www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-nationals-travelling-to-eu-essential-information

Idiota Wed 20-Feb-19 10:07:13

It’s not the visa situation I’m worried about - it’s whether the planes will actually be able to fly.

In the event of no deal, then no agreements about use of airspace will be in place, which could mean that planes wouldn’t legally be able to fly.

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Feb-19 10:14:01

The Chief Executives of the airlines are still saying that they don't know if the planes will fly.

They state that, those on package deals will be fully refunded.

Everyone else will have flights only refunded. Any other refunds will have to come from insurance.

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 12:41:45

The rules which govern international flight and whether airlines can take off and land are the Five Greedoms, outlined in the Chicago Convention of 1944 and predate the EU. Planes will fly. Any other professional aviators (as I am) here have a different opinion, I’ll be happy to discuss.

WeAllKnowDave Wed 20-Feb-19 12:54:53

@Idiota by name....

birdsandroses Wed 20-Feb-19 12:55:30

@grumpyoldpersonwithcats, after I wrote it I thought not the best phrase to use on this subject, but was too tired to change it! grin

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 13:11:46

Whoops, I meant Five Freedoms. Planes will still be able to fly.

DippyAvocado Wed 20-Feb-19 13:17:15

The government say different in their publication linked upthread Backinthebox. They specifically state planes will not be able to fly unless at least a skeleton agreement is agreed (which it probably will be as the EU have arrangements for this in their contingency planning).

MadisonAvenue Wed 20-Feb-19 13:18:21

We fly home from Prague on the evening of the 29th. The date never crossed my mind when booking it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »