Talk

Advanced search

To have a flight planned for 29 March?

(64 Posts)
ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 00:54:04

Just that, really. Will it be utter chaos trying to get in/out of the UK on 29-30 March? If I need to travel, is it better to wait a few days? I’ll need to book a cat sitter and don’t want my fur babies alone if I can’t get back into the country confused

Procrastination4 Wed 20-Feb-19 01:00:44

Well, we'll be in London with a schoool group on the 27th of March and are flying home on th 31st...we'll be hoping they let us out!grin

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 01:28:13

Have you got trip insurance or are you advising students to bring extra clothes or provisions?

AGHHHH Wed 20-Feb-19 01:41:08

It's happening at 11pm on the 29th.

So I've convinced myself it'll be fine (also flying on that day).

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 04:16:13

Good luck @AGHHH, I reckon we’ll be the only ones at the airport. Although perhaps loads of people will be trying to fly out?

StillCoughingandLaughing Wed 20-Feb-19 05:09:16

Hasn’t it already been confirmed we won’t need visas to travel to the EU (and vice versa)?

I’m a Remain voter, but I don’t believe it’s going to be as simple as the clock ticking over on 29 March and chaos beginning.

sulflower Wed 20-Feb-19 05:19:45

I read there will be a transition period ie everything staying as is and flights continuing as normal until 2020. We are out of the country on the 29th, flying back early April and not unduly worried.

BoomBoomsCousin Wed 20-Feb-19 05:19:49

Unless there's an extension I would expect there to be long queues for the first few days at least as everyone gets used to whatever system they decide to bring in. I wouldn't expect chaos but I would expect there to be teething issues.

birdsandroses Wed 20-Feb-19 06:17:03

I read there will be a transition period ie everything staying as is and flights continuing as normal until 2020. We are out of the country on the 29th, flying back early April and not unduly worried.

@sulflower, that is only if parliament pass the withdrawal agreement with EU which has a built in transistion period. If they don’t and the government doesn’t negoatiate an extension then it’s a no deal Brexit. All will be up in the air in a no deal scenario.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 06:21:03

@sulflower, has that been confirmed? Seems that so many things are up for debate and changing daily....

Procrastination4 Wed 20-Feb-19 06:29:40

No, we’re hoping no one’ll want to keep a bunch of kids longer than necessary!

Crunchymum Wed 20-Feb-19 06:33:40

We fly out to somewhere in the EU on 28th and back on 31st.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 06:37:48

@crunchymum, are you making any plans for insurance/ backup / provisions?

I reckon you’ll be in a bit of an odd situation, not requiring a visa to depart but if no deal happens, technically not be permitted to be in the eu country after 29th?

importantkath Wed 20-Feb-19 06:39:43

I booked my flights for the next weekend although my dad is flying on 31st March.

FinallyHere Wed 20-Feb-19 06:41:45

Has anyone actually found travel insurance that covers disruption due to political chaos, which is usually explicitly excluded from the cover?

rookiemere Wed 20-Feb-19 06:50:36

I'm flying on the 30th March although granted it's to NZ. I expect it may take longer than usual to get through security but other than that am expecting things to be as normal.

PhilomenaButterfly Wed 20-Feb-19 06:53:34

Well, you're brave, I'll give you that.

SoloD Wed 20-Feb-19 06:54:35

The issue with flights is that EASA certification of UK based aircraft and airports will stop, so other countries will have to chose to accept CAA certification. The government of course has not properly funded the CAA to take over, hence why Rolls Royce now sends ever single Aero Engine to Germany.

If there is a deal or extension we remain under EASA then there will be no problem.

In the event of a No Deal, then we are likley dependent on the good will of the EU and third party countries. Hence why insurers and airlines are excluding Brexit related disruption.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 07:05:06

I read on Money Saving Expert that a few companies are agreeing to offer cover for Brexit related scenarios....

Iruka Wed 20-Feb-19 07:09:05

What airline are you using and where are you flying to?

Flights to outside the EU should be ok as they can be agreed regardless of what deal we get (or none)

We have already decided to allow EU registered airlines to fly in and out of the UK if there is no deal and are expecting the EU to reciprocate for British airlines. British airline airlines flying within the EU are on dodgier ground.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

idontknowwhattosay Wed 20-Feb-19 07:10:07

We fly on the 6th.trting not to think about it!!

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 07:11:31

Would taking the Eurostar be any more or less safe / risky?

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 07:15:38

@Iruka - that document actually make it seem more
Complicated for flights outside of the EU - many countries have agreements as UK are Part of EU so that might also fall apart (Iceland, Canada) - or at least depend on the good will of the other country.

sulflower Wed 20-Feb-19 07:16:26

From the link above

There would be no disruption to the UK’s provision of air navigation services as a result of leaving the EU without a deal. EU countries, and the UK, in common with all other states, have international obligations to provide air navigation services in accordance with standards and recommended practices set by ICAO under the Chicago Convention. As previously stated, the rights for airlines to operate air services over EU or UK territory are established by a longstanding worldwide treaty, the International Air Services Transit Agreement, which the UK and almost all EU countries are signatories to.

Spam88 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:17:48

I'm due to arrive back in the country from the Netherlands about 20 minutes before Brexit. Just hoping for the best! 😂

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 07:21:23

I might be surprised, but as an airline pilot I’m expecting to go to work, fly a plane, come home. As I usually do. There might be a bit of confusion, like when Terminal 5 opened and nothing worked quite right to start with, but I don’t think there will be a complete termination of all aviation as some people have been predicting. That would go against the internationally agreed (long before the EU began) Freedoms of the Air as set out in the 1944 Chicago Convention.

sulflower Wed 20-Feb-19 07:24:52

One of the most important things to remember is that you must have at least 6 months left on your passport on your return date. However if like me your new passport was issued for 10 years and 6 months and the ten years was up, that additional 6 months does not count. So in that scenario you would actually need a full 12 months left on your passport.

Luvacuppatea Wed 20-Feb-19 07:49:14

Flying to Europe at around 9.00am on 29th a March, so should be airborne before the perceived ‘chaos’ ensues.....

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Feb-19 07:55:16

As someone who works a lot with Pet Passports the advice we have been from DEFRA has been to prepare for the worst -we crash out no deal and are treaty as a third party state and all those pets need blood tests and a holding period of three months. But to hope for the best - everything continues as before.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Wed 20-Feb-19 08:03:36

All will be up in the air in a no deal scenario.
Isn't the issue that it won't be? grin.
DS2 is going to Italy shortly after the 29th. I'll be watching with interest to see if it happens.

SherlockSays Wed 20-Feb-19 08:06:06

It'll be absolutely fine. It wouldn't even cross my mind to avoid travelling on that day.

Frazzled2207 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:09:56

I think flights will be ok. Getting a ferry to/from Dover will be another matter entirely.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 08:28:42

What will happen with ferries @frazzled2207? Is it likely there will be disruption to the trains (eurostar) as well?

Frazzled2207 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:36:18

@nina
At Dover the concern is freight. If no deal tariffs will be on exports and imports which makes bringing stuff in an out of the country a lot more complicated.
Whereas in theory passenger travel shouldn't be affected there is plenty of talk of 20mile tailbacks trying to get into Dover for example.

I suspect Eurostar like flights will be mostly ok.

Frazzled2207 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:37:16

@nina
At Dover the concern is freight. If no deal tariffs will be on exports and imports which makes bringing stuff in an out of the country a lot more complicated.
Whereas in theory passenger travel shouldn't be affected there is plenty of talk of 20mile tailbacks trying to get into Dover for example.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/14/dover-could-suffer-20-mile-permanent-traffic-jam-after-brexit

I suspect Eurostar like flights will be mostly ok.

WeAllKnowDave Wed 20-Feb-19 08:38:37

The Government announced a few days ago that flights will be unaffected due to an agreement they have signed. I don’t blame you for not knowing about it, as the left wing media didn’t report it!

WeAllKnowDave Wed 20-Feb-19 08:40:08

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiv1rbe9MngAhXGposKHQwsDfcQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-6714049%2FUK-lorries-planes-allowed-Europe-no-deal-Brexit.html&psig=AOvVaw1IZao_cLOfnSb0bBhLJvaS&ust=1550738369358921

barkinatthemoon Wed 20-Feb-19 08:41:50

we're flying to Spain in 1st April.... couldn't work out why the flights were so cheap until after we'd booked them 🤣! Just hoping for the best, that's all we can do x

DippyAvocado Wed 20-Feb-19 08:55:48

The EU contingency plan proposals state that short-term, EU-UK flights can continue as they currently exist. It is important to note that these plans have not yet been ratified by the European Parliament (says as much in the DM link above).

There are no clear arrangements to what happens with code share flights between EU and UK operators.

Personally, given the lack of information I think there'll be all sorts of confusion around that time so I plan to avoid travelling.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 09:49:58

I suppose I’m hoping it will be like flying on Christmas, quiet and easy as most people will avoid it 🤷‍♀️

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Feb-19 09:53:51

Martin Lewis did a piece on this.

Basically, you need six months on your passport and good comprehensive insurance.

Renew your EHIC, they will still honour them.

needsleepzzz Wed 20-Feb-19 10:01:14

Might help: www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-nationals-travelling-to-eu-essential-information

Idiota Wed 20-Feb-19 10:07:13

It’s not the visa situation I’m worried about - it’s whether the planes will actually be able to fly.

In the event of no deal, then no agreements about use of airspace will be in place, which could mean that planes wouldn’t legally be able to fly.

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Feb-19 10:14:01

The Chief Executives of the airlines are still saying that they don't know if the planes will fly.

They state that, those on package deals will be fully refunded.

Everyone else will have flights only refunded. Any other refunds will have to come from insurance.

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 12:41:45

The rules which govern international flight and whether airlines can take off and land are the Five Greedoms, outlined in the Chicago Convention of 1944 and predate the EU. Planes will fly. Any other professional aviators (as I am) here have a different opinion, I’ll be happy to discuss.

WeAllKnowDave Wed 20-Feb-19 12:54:53

@Idiota by name....

birdsandroses Wed 20-Feb-19 12:55:30

@grumpyoldpersonwithcats, after I wrote it I thought not the best phrase to use on this subject, but was too tired to change it! grin

Backinthebox Wed 20-Feb-19 13:11:46

Whoops, I meant Five Freedoms. Planes will still be able to fly.

DippyAvocado Wed 20-Feb-19 13:17:15

The government say different in their publication linked upthread Backinthebox. They specifically state planes will not be able to fly unless at least a skeleton agreement is agreed (which it probably will be as the EU have arrangements for this in their contingency planning).

MadisonAvenue Wed 20-Feb-19 13:18:21

We fly home from Prague on the evening of the 29th. The date never crossed my mind when booking it.

CandyFlossLegend Wed 20-Feb-19 13:21:11

There must be travel insurance to cover people travelling then.

ninafromberlin Wed 20-Feb-19 13:26:15

@backinthebox, I’m reassured by your inside perspective but as above, the government sounds less certain? I do hope they’re just being overly cautious. Should we have a back up plan for the cats?

ContinuityError Wed 20-Feb-19 13:29:38

There is an EU agreement to provide basic air connectivity by allowing flights to continue for 7 months in the event of no deal, but as Dippy says, this has yet to be formally ratified.

There is also the issue that there were a number of new flights due to be added to the schedule this year, which wouldn't be covered under this agreement as it caps flight schedules to 2018 levels.

www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2019/02/19/basic-air-connectivity-in-the-event-of-no-deal-brexit-provisional-agreement-with-the-parliament/

DippyAvocado Wed 20-Feb-19 13:39:57

There must be travel insurance to cover people travelling then.

Insurance policies don't tend to cover political disruption. Flights have to be refunded by the airline but there is no guarantee that travel insurance will cover additional costs. I read an article somewhere about this recently and the journalist had called several insurance companies whose response to what happened in the event of a no-deal Brexit was "We don't know".

Backinthebox Thu 21-Feb-19 12:25:50

The majority of airlines that operate out of the UK are British registered and will not have a problem, as they are UK based, UK registered. The airlines who have problems will be the ones who are registered in another country who want to operate out of the UK. Such as certain low cost carriers.

ContinuityError Thu 21-Feb-19 21:13:55

Back in the event of no deal, would UK based airlines be able to fly routes entirely within the EU27? For instance, if a UK airline normally flies London - Paris - Berlin - London, can they still fly the Paris - Berlin leg?

Backinthebox Thu 21-Feb-19 21:19:32

ContinuityError imo no, these are the kind of flights that fall outside of the agreements which predate the EU.

ContinuityError Thu 21-Feb-19 21:56:51

Thanks Back - that’s what I thought. Seems to be the same deal for lorry movements as well (cabotage?).

Hillarious Thu 21-Feb-19 22:02:20

To repeat what a pp said - ensure you have at least 6 months left on your passport for your return trip.

My boss is heavily involved in the Brexit process and I'm about to stock up on bottled water and tinned tomatoes!

soupmaker Thu 21-Feb-19 22:20:24

We're flying to Spain on 30 March! Booked the flights without a second thought of Brexit! Have checked passports, renewed EHIC cards, got insurance and contemplating getting international driving permits for me and DH as we're hiring from the airport in Spain. We may not come back!

gallicgirl Thu 21-Feb-19 22:30:01

Flights will continue but at 2018 levels so some new routes might be affected.

It was announced that the EU were agreeing to waive visas but I've since read that this has been blocked by Spain because of Gibraltar.

Dfds and Eurostar are offering Brexit guarantees in case they are unable to operate.

At the very least, I'm expecting longer queues. I think we'll be holidaying in the UK this year.

WilkoBrandCleaner Thu 21-Feb-19 22:32:54

Should we have a back up plan for the cats?

Nina, I would say as you're worried it would be a good idea, it will put your mind at rest and then you can enjoy your trip.

For example you could just ask your catsitter whether s/he would be available in an emergency just in case you couldn't get back when expected.

If so, you can go away knowing that they'll be cared for even if there are issues. And assuming you get back as expected, then no harm done from having the plan in place.

Doodlebug5 Thu 21-Feb-19 22:37:59

I fly out for work on the 25th and come back on the 1st... I think I'll be at the airport early just in case

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 22-Feb-19 14:27:39

barkinatthemoon

We're flying out on the 2nd April and back on the 10th. Not in the slightest bit worried but lots of people must be because the airlines were practically giving away the seats.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »