Talk

Advanced search

Schools method of discipline AIBU

(267 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Ninjafox Tue 19-Feb-19 20:16:08

Not sure if I'm being precious but I'm sure I'll be told either way now. Found out today that DC's school discipline naughty children by sending them to another class to sit on a chair.

My thoughts are this is worse than a telling off as they are actively showing the other children 'look at this naughty child' and humiliating them. This happens as young as reception. At least if they are sent to the head they get a telling off and that's more or less the end of it. It feels a bit like the village stocks or a public flogging. AIBU to think this is a bit off? For reference the school is in a really good catchment and the naughty kids of whom I know a few seem quite mildly naughty tbh.

Poloshot Tue 19-Feb-19 20:44:29

Good sounds reasonable to me. Its a deterrent

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Tue 19-Feb-19 20:46:08

I'm not a teacher. Far from it actually.

The idea of removing the troublemaker makes it easier and quicker for the rest of the class to refocus and get on with learning.

Intohellbutstayingstrong Tue 19-Feb-19 20:46:58

I'm almost 50 and disruptive kids were sent out of class when even I was at school

Yep.... I remember this to.

Teachers have very limited resources available to them when managing behaviour.
Sending kids into another class is normal in most schools
If you dont agree OP perhaps offer some insight into what YOU would do and share that with the school hmm

EuniceUnicorn Tue 19-Feb-19 20:48:25

They do this at dd's school. What's the issue with it?

TitsAndTomatoes Tue 19-Feb-19 20:48:28

Feels like the teacher can't control a class tbh

hmm
Yes because what the teacher actually needs to do if solely focus on rehabilitating one naughty child instead of teaching a class.
No. Sometimes kids are shits. You are one hell of a dreamer if you think its possible to 'control' a class of children when theyre disruptive and your main aim is to EDUCATE them not discipline them.

This is the best wah for a disruptive kid to learn. Whats the alternative? Give them one on one session a mollycoddling them?

Seriously OP. You need a hobby

mineofuselessinformation Tue 19-Feb-19 20:48:35

I think you need to focus on the naughty behaviour, not the punishment for it.
After all, if the behaviour didn't occur, there would be no need for any consequences.
Does this involve one or more of your children? If not, I'm not sure why it's an issue for you. If so, then maybe you need to look a bit closer to home, and back the school up so it doesn't happen again.

HaventGotAllDay Tue 19-Feb-19 20:50:11

You wonder if we're all teachers?
We wonder if you're the parent who has brought up their kids thus far thinking they can disrupt every other kid's education.

KittyMcKitty Tue 19-Feb-19 20:51:56

It’s a normal thing.

If you look at your schools behaviour policy it will show how it escalates.

Amanduh Tue 19-Feb-19 20:52:19

It feels like public flogging
Seriously 😂😂😂😂😂

spanieleyes Tue 19-Feb-19 20:52:46

I would just assume in a pretty well to do catchment,

Ah well, that's where you went wrong! Children from pretty well to do catchments can be a nightmare, often because they haven't heard the word "No" very often!

( And my assumption is as generalising as yoursgrin

KittyMcKitty Tue 19-Feb-19 20:53:20

Sorry meant to say that you will have signed to agree with the behaviour policy when your child started school and it will also be on the schools website.

UnicornRainbowsRain Tue 19-Feb-19 20:53:19

What would you like them to do?

HennyPennyHorror Tue 19-Feb-19 20:54:05

It's normal here too OP. Not a teacher either...I've honestly never given it a second thought. DD has sometimes said "X had to go into class 4 to sit because he wouldn't be quiet" and so on.

Would you rather the child continued to ruin everyone else's lesson?

user1493423934 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:54:40

At my DC's school they have 2 warnings before this happens, so they're given plenty of chances to improve their behaviour. I personally don't see anything wrong with it - would you prefer they were yelled at in front of the class then strapped? (as was the case when I was at school).

Shinesweetfreedom Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:06

Who would be a teacher in this day and age.
Tough shit if they are humiliated.
Should behave in the first place.
Hard enough to learn with classes as big as 30 plus these days without being distracted by bad behaviour.

Sirzy Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:10

Removing the child also gives them time to calm down and settle. If they stay in the class often they stay stuck in the rut of “silly” behaviour leading to more disruption for the whole class. Especially when young.

user1493423934 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:50

Oh and I'm not a teacher either.
'village stocks or a public flogging' Really? oh dear

ShawshanksRedemption Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:53

If you look at your DCs school behaviour policy it should set out how behaviour is managed. I'm sure that the child is given warnings etc and directed to do something positive before invoking the removal to another class option.

The teacher is following policy, which is her job. If she didn't follow it and just went straight to the head, she'd be asked why she hadn't followed policy. If she kept the child in class, and the child continued disrupting not just their own, but others learning, she again would not be following policy. LSAs may well be helping to support learning/behaviour etc, and maybe that has not worked. It doesn't always I'm afraid. Sometimes going somewhere else can help a child calm themselves and give them thinking time.

Unless the child is told to sit on a chair surrounded by the others kids who are gathered in a circle to point and laugh, then no it's not humiliation or like the stocks.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 19-Feb-19 20:57:22

Well if the children are “mildly naughty” then the teacher is obviously controlling the class. Can’t have it both ways. Also agree with what Haventgotallday said with bells on. These are children being taught and disciplined in a tried and tested manner. You really haven’t got a clue of the pressure teachers are under and the miracles they achieve with our children.

CocoDeMoll Tue 19-Feb-19 20:58:01

It’s normal and pretty mild. My dd is so unruly though she sees it as an opportunity to catch up with the older kids in the class she’s been sent to 🙈

missmartini Tue 19-Feb-19 20:58:52

I'm a teacher and I've worked in schools where this is the case usually on a rising scale...

Where I worked before was:

Warning
Time out in class
Time out sitting outside the class
Time out in another class
Sent to the principle teacher (middle management in Scotland usually class committed as well)
Sent to head teacher

Usually if a child had got to the step of having to be sent to another class it was for the good of the child to remove them from the situation, the good of the other children to allow them to learn and the good of the teacher for their own health and well being.

And this was in a very affluent catchment area for the record as well.

missmartini Tue 19-Feb-19 20:59:59

* principal ...autocorrect sorry!

Maelstrop Tue 19-Feb-19 21:00:51

Public flogging? Jesus wept, how ridiculously OTT! If a child is stopping others learning, I send them out to whoever is on the rota. Do you think the teacher should spend half the lesson prioritising a disruptive child or cajoling better behaviour? Because that's so wrong.

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Tue 19-Feb-19 21:00:56

It feels a bit like the village stocks or a public flogging

Seriously? hmm

This is why so many of the kids I work with are completely lacking any resilience whatsoever: parents who can't get their heads around the fact that boundaries and consequences are a good thing.

FlagFish Tue 19-Feb-19 21:02:06

This method is used at my DC’s school and I don’t have a problem with it. I’m not a teacher btw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »