Talk

Advanced search

Schools method of discipline AIBU

(267 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Ninjafox Tue 19-Feb-19 20:16:08

Not sure if I'm being precious but I'm sure I'll be told either way now. Found out today that DC's school discipline naughty children by sending them to another class to sit on a chair.

My thoughts are this is worse than a telling off as they are actively showing the other children 'look at this naughty child' and humiliating them. This happens as young as reception. At least if they are sent to the head they get a telling off and that's more or less the end of it. It feels a bit like the village stocks or a public flogging. AIBU to think this is a bit off? For reference the school is in a really good catchment and the naughty kids of whom I know a few seem quite mildly naughty tbh.

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Wed 20-Feb-19 18:38:36

No worries, I could easily have been me that was mixed up, this thread has jumped about a bit!

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Wed 20-Feb-19 18:39:21

*it not I (bloomin' autocorrect)

MotsDHeureGoussesRames Wed 20-Feb-19 19:20:01

Tilda you are really deluded if you think a "please don't throw snowballs at me because it hurts" is going to change a child's behaviour. Until that child's parents acknowledge the behaviour is unacceptable and teach them otherwise, the school has a battle on its hands, which it can only fight with a clear policy on behaviour and sanctions. What would you propose, by the way, instead of removal from a classroom for a disruptive student? Shall we just have a little word in their ear about not doing it again, whilst the learning of 29 others is negatively impacted on a repeated basis? I think you'd be saying otherwise if your child's education were being consistently disrupted. I suspect OP won't be back and will tell herself that she stumbled inadvertently into a strange forum for teachers and bitches, rather than listen to the words of the vast majority telling her to change her ways...

JoanneMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Feb-19 19:44:11

Hi, just stopping by to say we've deleted a number of posts by a previously banned poster who was clearly here to goad...

Hopefully we can get this thread back on track now, but please do report any other posts that raise an eyebrow.

TildaTurnip Wed 20-Feb-19 19:57:16

Tilda you are really deluded if you think a "please don't throw snowballs at me because it hurts" is going to change a child's behaviour

I’m an experienced teacher of 18 years. So not so deluded grin

DailyMailFuckRightOff Wed 20-Feb-19 20:19:02

I’m enjoying the misapprehension that LSAs are there as some sort of general crowd control tool. Their time is intricately planned to ensure they can help specific groups of children to succeed. Sometimes this may be a child or group of children who struggle, for whatever reason, with boundaries or working quietly. Other times it will be children who’ve been identified as needing reinforcement of yesterday’s literacy lesson, or a VI child who needs help negotiating the resources that same LSA spent his or her break time enlarging and copying.

A good LSA is incredibly valuable and works with the teacher where possible to plan for the best outcomes. It’s an insult to suggest that they should be there just in case a child decides to sit and talk their way through circle time, or whatever.

OP, you’re being unreasonable. Not only that, you’re making it stonkingly clear that your ideas about what actually happens in the classroom are far removed from the reality of teaching and learning.

I could go on but I don’t want to.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Wed 20-Feb-19 20:20:00

Just to say, my comment above is aimed at OP, not the hundreds of level headed types who understand who does what in a classroom.

PlinkPlink Wed 20-Feb-19 20:31:03

I was a terror at school - even in Reception.
I was always in trouble.
Being sent to another room to calm down for 5 minutes would have been nice.

What was humiliating was being made to stand up in front of the class for 3 minutes, where I was sat at my table, where everyone would stare at me. I hated that.

It was humiliating to be constantly picked on by my teacher. After a while, some kids would deliberately get me in trouble. Spiteful.

None of them bothered to find out what was going on at home or why my mind was so restless and incapable of focus.

Sitting on a chair quietly away from their class sounds like a reasonable way to deal with behaviour. It removes them from the situation that is distracting them or aggravating them. Gives them time to think about their actions. Gives the teacher the opportunity to educate the other children (which they deserve).

They are not sat on a chair with a Dunce hat on.

It's interesting that you are so critical. What would you deem a valid and non-humiliating way of dealing with a disruptive child?

Bloodyfucksake Wed 20-Feb-19 20:33:33

TildaTurnip I've taught in schools where that technique would work and others where it would have been a sign to the pupils that they could do exactly whatever they wanted. If you have 18 years experience you must understand this? Unless it's one school, one age group?

TildaTurnip Wed 20-Feb-19 20:35:34

Unless it's one school, one age group?
Not at all. It isn’t what works between schools, it is what works for individual children. Giving a small child some space and time to calm down and work through behaviour issues is very different to sending them to another class for punishment.

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 21-Feb-19 10:46:40

TildaTurnip

but that is the point isn't it, what works for one doesn't work for all.
Some children will stop at the first telling off, others will push it until they get sent out.

LavenderFairyrunswild Thu 21-Feb-19 20:59:36

Hail hail BoneyBackJefferson. It's bloody hard when you have to explain it to Children, parents AND colleagues....

specterlitt Mon 13-May-19 18:37:06

Considering what you think is right and wrong and how you have posted here, I'm not the least bit surprised on your claim that your precious child is worse behaved at home than school. hmm.

FlibbertyGiblets Mon 13-May-19 19:06:38

specterlitt yowsers you searched out this old thread to tell off the OP, who is long gone. That's her told! grin

specterlitt Mon 13-May-19 19:12:50

@FlibbertyGiblets I'm so daft, I was linked this to read and didn't even check the date grin What happened to that message from MN that says this is an old thread, go away hmm

But yes I sure told her haha.. ahhh thanks for pointing it out at least!

clairedelalune Mon 13-May-19 20:04:13

Havent read through whole thread, but on secondary it is very typical to remove a student to another classroom.... yes they will sit down in there? We wouldn't make them stand!

Hecateh Mon 13-May-19 20:25:12

I'm 64 and I was caned when I was 6.

And you call this bad

And I'm certainly not saying that it didn't do me any harm. I wouldn't still remember it now if that was the case

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »