Talk

Advanced search

Schools method of discipline AIBU

(267 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Ninjafox Tue 19-Feb-19 20:16:08

Not sure if I'm being precious but I'm sure I'll be told either way now. Found out today that DC's school discipline naughty children by sending them to another class to sit on a chair.

My thoughts are this is worse than a telling off as they are actively showing the other children 'look at this naughty child' and humiliating them. This happens as young as reception. At least if they are sent to the head they get a telling off and that's more or less the end of it. It feels a bit like the village stocks or a public flogging. AIBU to think this is a bit off? For reference the school is in a really good catchment and the naughty kids of whom I know a few seem quite mildly naughty tbh.

Jackshouse Tue 19-Feb-19 20:18:56

It’s common to remove a disruptive child to some where else so they are not preventing 30 other children from learning.

WorraLiberty Tue 19-Feb-19 20:20:59

I expect the Head has better things to do tbh.

It feels a bit like the village stocks or a public flogging

I think that ^^ is an over reaction.

noblegiraffe Tue 19-Feb-19 20:21:31

The naughty kid needs a break from the classroom but still needs to be supervised by an adult. Sending them to another class achieves this.

Fabaunt Tue 19-Feb-19 20:22:09

No it’s totally reasonable. Why should the teacher take precious time away from other kids to deal with a naughty child who’s already disrupting the class? If he doesn’t want to go sit in another class then he should be good.

Sunflower1989 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:22:26

Sending a child for a 'telling off' from the headteacher is still quite a public way of disciplining a child too. I imagine the sanction of sitting in another class would come as a final punishment after warnings and chances for the child to correct their behaviour. It is to prevent disruption to the other pupils that deserve a peaceful environment to learn.

Huntawaymama Tue 19-Feb-19 20:22:28

If it works and stops them misbehaving then I think it's better then wasting the heads time

BarbarianMum Tue 19-Feb-19 20:22:51

They do thos in our school. Its never the first resort but if a child will not listen to their teacher then it happens. Head's got better things to do than bollocking every silly child who wants to disrupt the class, she deals w serious behavioural issues like bullying.

E20mom Tue 19-Feb-19 20:24:03

I really think your reaction to this is OTT.

hidinginthenightgarden Tue 19-Feb-19 20:25:12

I don't like it but then teachers have very few powers these days. Not sure what they are meant to do when a quick bollocking from the head isn't working.

Yesicancancan Tue 19-Feb-19 20:25:22

Don’t be so ridiculous, no wonder some children are so unreasonable, sending them to calm down in another room is tame.

missmapp Tue 19-Feb-19 20:26:12

This happens in most schools i have worked in. The child works at the back of another room with little interaction from the teacher. Then after the given time, a restorative meeting happens with the teacher. Only for children who have already ignored several instructions and have not responded to in class talking to by teacher. Both child and teacher, and the class, need some time apart.

Yesicancancan Tue 19-Feb-19 20:26:29

I say this as a parent of a very unruly child, I try and they try and he is a pita, I wish they would send him to the head mistress. She scares me. 🤪

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Tue 19-Feb-19 20:27:11

Used to do this at my school.

If you disrupted the class then you're the one removed.

sideorderofchips Tue 19-Feb-19 20:27:27

They do this at the secondary I work at. Remove the child from the class to prevent disruption and interrupted learning. Put them in another class, generally with older kids (ie year seven going into a small year 11) class. That way year seven teacher can carry on teaching.

Ninjafox Tue 19-Feb-19 20:27:31

Some interesting opinions, I do wonder if you're teachers? I would just assume in a pretty well to do catchment, where the teacher has a few LSAs on hand to help, that they would need to send a reception age child to another class for support? Feels like the teacher can't control a class tbh

Doobydoobeedoo Tue 19-Feb-19 20:27:56

It's the system used at our school too.

It stops the rest of the class from having their learning disrupted and means that the teacher can get on with teaching.

It means that the child is removed from the situation and can get on with their work in the other classroom.

From what I've seen, the children in the other class really don't pay all that much attention to the child who has been sent from elsewhere. It's nothing like the village stocks or a public flogging.

SachaStark Tue 19-Feb-19 20:27:56

It's called parking, and is a widely practised method of behaviour management. It's perfect, IMO. Doesn't work if you keep them in the same classroom, as the child being silly/misbehaving will continue to "perform" for their comfortable and recognisable audience.

PCohle Tue 19-Feb-19 20:29:02

I think you are focusing too much on the individual misbehaving child and how this makes them feel, and not enough on the learning of the 29 children in the class.

Greensleeves Tue 19-Feb-19 20:32:32

This was the system at the best school I taught at. The children were well used to it and the school had a very nurturing and positive ethos (though high expectations) so I never saw any child particularly traumatised by it.

I did have one little boy who was normally very well-behaved who totally overstepped the mark one day, and I told him he would have to go and sit in Mrs X's classroom for ten minutes. He wailed "This has never happened to me before!" so I sat down with him, explained that what he had done was serious enough that he did need to do this, but that Mrs X wouldn't shout at him and when he'd had a break and a think he could come back in and we would say no more about it. He squared his little shoulders and went and did his time, then came back in and had a great afternoon.

I hated doing it, no teacher enjoys sanctioning anyone, but classrooms in that school were calm and purposeful and the children were happy.

WorraLiberty Tue 19-Feb-19 20:35:27

Some interesting opinions, I do wonder if you're teachers? I would just assume in a pretty well to do catchment, where the teacher has a few LSAs on hand to help, that they would need to send a reception age child to another class for support? Feels like the teacher can't control a class tbh

I'm not a teacher. I'm a parent with little patience for people who blame teachers for not being able to control their class.

The child isn't sent to another class for 'support', they're sent as a punishment and to calm down and learn to behave.

I'd say that teacher is very much in control. I wish more had that no nonsense attitude.

PCohle Tue 19-Feb-19 20:40:25

I'm not a teacher. I don't think this technique has anything to do with the teacher lacking control, but with removing the child from the situation.

You sound pretty critical of teachers OP. I'm not sure why you asked if you weren't, in fact, willing to be told you were being precious.

lilyboleyn Tue 19-Feb-19 20:40:48

“feels like the teacher can’t control the class tbh”

Ha, another doting parent who would rather blame the teacher than support the school in addressing her child’s poor behaviour.

You’re right, love. The teacher’s awful, the school behaviour management system is awful, and your lovely little snowflake would be better off in a much gentler class where they will never be sanctioned or called out for poor behaviour. hmm That’s what’s you wanted to hear, isn’t it?

Doobydoobeedoo Tue 19-Feb-19 20:41:31

"Some interesting opinions, I do wonder if you're teachers? I would just assume in a pretty well to do catchment, where the teacher has a few LSAs on hand to help, that they would need to send a reception age child to another class for support? Feels like the teacher can't control a class tbh"

I'm not a teacher.

I've seen this method used when I've been in school as a volunteer. It's used in a very calm manner with several warnings for the child about what will happen if their behaviour doesn't change. The teacher is always very much in control.

WorraLiberty Tue 19-Feb-19 20:42:59

I'm almost 50 and disruptive kids were sent out of class when even I was at school.

Poloshot Tue 19-Feb-19 20:44:29

Good sounds reasonable to me. Its a deterrent

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Tue 19-Feb-19 20:46:08

I'm not a teacher. Far from it actually.

The idea of removing the troublemaker makes it easier and quicker for the rest of the class to refocus and get on with learning.

Intohellbutstayingstrong Tue 19-Feb-19 20:46:58

I'm almost 50 and disruptive kids were sent out of class when even I was at school

Yep.... I remember this to.

Teachers have very limited resources available to them when managing behaviour.
Sending kids into another class is normal in most schools
If you dont agree OP perhaps offer some insight into what YOU would do and share that with the school hmm

EuniceUnicorn Tue 19-Feb-19 20:48:25

They do this at dd's school. What's the issue with it?

TitsAndTomatoes Tue 19-Feb-19 20:48:28

Feels like the teacher can't control a class tbh

hmm
Yes because what the teacher actually needs to do if solely focus on rehabilitating one naughty child instead of teaching a class.
No. Sometimes kids are shits. You are one hell of a dreamer if you think its possible to 'control' a class of children when theyre disruptive and your main aim is to EDUCATE them not discipline them.

This is the best wah for a disruptive kid to learn. Whats the alternative? Give them one on one session a mollycoddling them?

Seriously OP. You need a hobby

mineofuselessinformation Tue 19-Feb-19 20:48:35

I think you need to focus on the naughty behaviour, not the punishment for it.
After all, if the behaviour didn't occur, there would be no need for any consequences.
Does this involve one or more of your children? If not, I'm not sure why it's an issue for you. If so, then maybe you need to look a bit closer to home, and back the school up so it doesn't happen again.

HaventGotAllDay Tue 19-Feb-19 20:50:11

You wonder if we're all teachers?
We wonder if you're the parent who has brought up their kids thus far thinking they can disrupt every other kid's education.

KittyMcKitty Tue 19-Feb-19 20:51:56

It’s a normal thing.

If you look at your schools behaviour policy it will show how it escalates.

Amanduh Tue 19-Feb-19 20:52:19

It feels like public flogging
Seriously 😂😂😂😂😂

spanieleyes Tue 19-Feb-19 20:52:46

I would just assume in a pretty well to do catchment,

Ah well, that's where you went wrong! Children from pretty well to do catchments can be a nightmare, often because they haven't heard the word "No" very often!

( And my assumption is as generalising as yoursgrin

KittyMcKitty Tue 19-Feb-19 20:53:20

Sorry meant to say that you will have signed to agree with the behaviour policy when your child started school and it will also be on the schools website.

UnicornRainbowsRain Tue 19-Feb-19 20:53:19

What would you like them to do?

HennyPennyHorror Tue 19-Feb-19 20:54:05

It's normal here too OP. Not a teacher either...I've honestly never given it a second thought. DD has sometimes said "X had to go into class 4 to sit because he wouldn't be quiet" and so on.

Would you rather the child continued to ruin everyone else's lesson?

user1493423934 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:54:40

At my DC's school they have 2 warnings before this happens, so they're given plenty of chances to improve their behaviour. I personally don't see anything wrong with it - would you prefer they were yelled at in front of the class then strapped? (as was the case when I was at school).

Shinesweetfreedom Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:06

Who would be a teacher in this day and age.
Tough shit if they are humiliated.
Should behave in the first place.
Hard enough to learn with classes as big as 30 plus these days without being distracted by bad behaviour.

Sirzy Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:10

Removing the child also gives them time to calm down and settle. If they stay in the class often they stay stuck in the rut of “silly” behaviour leading to more disruption for the whole class. Especially when young.

user1493423934 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:50

Oh and I'm not a teacher either.
'village stocks or a public flogging' Really? oh dear

ShawshanksRedemption Tue 19-Feb-19 20:56:53

If you look at your DCs school behaviour policy it should set out how behaviour is managed. I'm sure that the child is given warnings etc and directed to do something positive before invoking the removal to another class option.

The teacher is following policy, which is her job. If she didn't follow it and just went straight to the head, she'd be asked why she hadn't followed policy. If she kept the child in class, and the child continued disrupting not just their own, but others learning, she again would not be following policy. LSAs may well be helping to support learning/behaviour etc, and maybe that has not worked. It doesn't always I'm afraid. Sometimes going somewhere else can help a child calm themselves and give them thinking time.

Unless the child is told to sit on a chair surrounded by the others kids who are gathered in a circle to point and laugh, then no it's not humiliation or like the stocks.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 19-Feb-19 20:57:22

Well if the children are “mildly naughty” then the teacher is obviously controlling the class. Can’t have it both ways. Also agree with what Haventgotallday said with bells on. These are children being taught and disciplined in a tried and tested manner. You really haven’t got a clue of the pressure teachers are under and the miracles they achieve with our children.

CocoDeMoll Tue 19-Feb-19 20:58:01

It’s normal and pretty mild. My dd is so unruly though she sees it as an opportunity to catch up with the older kids in the class she’s been sent to 🙈

missmartini Tue 19-Feb-19 20:58:52

I'm a teacher and I've worked in schools where this is the case usually on a rising scale...

Where I worked before was:

Warning
Time out in class
Time out sitting outside the class
Time out in another class
Sent to the principle teacher (middle management in Scotland usually class committed as well)
Sent to head teacher

Usually if a child had got to the step of having to be sent to another class it was for the good of the child to remove them from the situation, the good of the other children to allow them to learn and the good of the teacher for their own health and well being.

And this was in a very affluent catchment area for the record as well.

missmartini Tue 19-Feb-19 20:59:59

* principal ...autocorrect sorry!

Maelstrop Tue 19-Feb-19 21:00:51

Public flogging? Jesus wept, how ridiculously OTT! If a child is stopping others learning, I send them out to whoever is on the rota. Do you think the teacher should spend half the lesson prioritising a disruptive child or cajoling better behaviour? Because that's so wrong.

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Tue 19-Feb-19 21:00:56

It feels a bit like the village stocks or a public flogging

Seriously? hmm

This is why so many of the kids I work with are completely lacking any resilience whatsoever: parents who can't get their heads around the fact that boundaries and consequences are a good thing.

FlagFish Tue 19-Feb-19 21:02:06

This method is used at my DC’s school and I don’t have a problem with it. I’m not a teacher btw.

asparalite Tue 19-Feb-19 21:02:36

Yes totally normal in schools behaviour policy for child to be sent to another class for time out!

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Tue 19-Feb-19 21:02:58

I happens in the school I work in as TA. It's never a first option, there are two warnings, then a move within the room then a move to another class. Unfortunately by then that child has already significantly disrupted the class and they really need to move them out so that the rest of the pupils can begin learning. It's a practical solution to a problem.

Hunter037 Tue 19-Feb-19 21:03:46

Parking kids is totally usual in the majority of schools. If this is taking place it is a sign that the teacher CAN control the class, they are taking control of the class by removing a disruptive influence and allowing that student to calm down while continuing to teach the rest. It is usually a last resort after warnings and other sanctions (e.g. name on board, moving seats, removal of a privilege) have been tried.
Usually this would be followed up by a discussion with the teacher and possibly a sanction such as detention (depending on the age of the student).

What was the child doing that resulted in this punishment?
What would you suggest the teacher should do if there is a student continuing to disrupt the class after multiple warnings?

Maelstrop Tue 19-Feb-19 21:05:04

Public flogging? Jesus wept, how ridiculously OTT! If a child is stopping others learning, I send them out to whoever is on the rota. Do you think the teacher should spend half the lesson prioritising a disruptive child or cajoling better behaviour? Because that's so wrong.

Crummyfunnymummy Tue 19-Feb-19 21:05:27

No OP, this is common way of classroom management. Child is given verbal warning and if behaviour continues they are told to go and sit and work in another classroom. This happened to my DS the other day and he fully deserved it! I’m not a teacher either but I have worked in PRUs where children excluded from schools often attend. One fairly common trait was parents who openly criticised the school or the teachers or the school rules. Their children learned to disrespect the teachers and disregard the rules. I don’t know if the OP voiced her disagreement of the school’s discipline in front of her child. I sincerely hope not. It is important to show support (even when you don’t feel it).

BrizzleMint Tue 19-Feb-19 21:05:50

It's fairly common when the child has been given reminders and warnings, if they have exhausted all the in class sanctions such as the zone board then it's usually the next step. It removes them from the situation and lets others learn without disruption.

SingleMumFighting Tue 19-Feb-19 21:06:55

they are actively showing the other children 'look at this naughty child' and humiliating them.

The other children already know who the naughty child is. When a child is sent out of the classroom. Its an opportunity to help them calm down. Some schools provide a pretty and calm space.

SilverySurfer Tue 19-Feb-19 21:08:14

There's always home schooling and your little angel will never have to hear the word NO again. hmm

Not a teacher either.

ArmchairTraveller Tue 19-Feb-19 21:08:36

Ninja, we don’t use the word naughty any more, what sort of dinosaur are you? Challenging...spirited...needing to channel that negative energy into positive pathways...reflective thinking time...
There are usually several steps before being sent to another class, each one with its own vocabulary to enable the child to understand why it’s happening, and what the next step will be if the behaviour continues. Verbal warning, name moving, reflective time in class...then out you go to let others enjoy their learning without you.
But some little people just seem to enjoy the journey sometimes.

SachaStark Tue 19-Feb-19 21:10:15

What would you suggest in place of it, OP?

spanieleyes Tue 19-Feb-19 21:11:01

I will own up to being a teacher-actually a Head teacher! Pupils are sent to me as a last resort and usually involving physical violence. Generalised disruption in the class is dealt with by parking, usually to the class of a member of SLT. The children in any receiving class are usually very good at simply ignoring the disruptive child, they have their own work to do and get on with it! The disruptive child has the opportunity to just get on with their work without having to "back down" in front of their classmates. So in pretty much every case, the initial class can get on with their work, the disruptive child can do their work without losing face, the class teacher can do what they are paid to do ( teach) and I dont have a revolving door of children in and out for relatively minor infringements to the school day. I'm the big guns! grin

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Tue 19-Feb-19 21:11:02

If you have multiple children and you are all watching a film together in the living room, what do you do to the child who won't shut up and let everyone else enjoy the movie?

You warn, warn again and then send them to their rooms. At least in the case of schools, the child goes to a supervised room.

ArmchairTraveller Tue 19-Feb-19 21:11:08

Give it a few years and the complaint will be that other children are being told not to play with the disruptive influence by nasty mummies.

JacquesHammer Tue 19-Feb-19 21:12:30

I wouldn’t like it.

At DD’s school they had a time out space where kids could go if they needed a breather. Far better than sending them to another class.

PeterPiperPickedWrong Tue 19-Feb-19 21:13:06

Not sure if I'm being precious
Yep.

No, I’m not a teacher. Perfectly acceptable to remove the destructive little darling so the the rest of the class can learn. Nothing at all like Stocks or flogging.

TicketyBoo83 Tue 19-Feb-19 21:14:03

"Some interesting opinions, I do wonder if you're teachers? I would just assume in a pretty well to do catchment, where the teacher has a few LSAs on hand to help, that they would need to send a reception age child to another class for support? Feels like the teacher can't control a class tbh"

What exactly do you propose instead? It’s the school equivalent of not giving tantrums attention. Why should a teacher (or LSA) take time away from those who want to learn to deal with a pupil who has already had numerous warnings?

I am a teacher. A bloody good one.

You are that parent 🙄

clairemcnam Tue 19-Feb-19 21:14:29

Reception children can either be a delight, or a total nightmare. Kids who have never been told no and allowed to do whatever they want, really struggle to behave in anything approaching an acceptable manner at school. After 6 months most have calmed down.

Ninjafox Tue 19-Feb-19 21:17:17

To emphasise RECEPTION age. With 2 LSAs in class and parent helpers. Teacher is not alone having to battle it out here.

No my child isn't unruly, if anything is the complete opposite (review from the teacher not us, in fact I would say DC is better behaved at school than home tbh).

Brakebackcyclebot Tue 19-Feb-19 21:17:34

OP, why don't you go & give teaching a class of 30 a go? Then come back and tell us how you get on.

ArmchairTraveller Tue 19-Feb-19 21:17:53

I’ve taught in very posh areas with Uber M/C families, and in very impoverished areas. The former usually have far more trouble dealing with the idea of little Pancreatitis being told off or disciplined than the latter.

BookWitch Tue 19-Feb-19 21:18:07

I'm a teacher, albeit a secondary one. I imagine it works just as well for primary.

Students who can't behave and are interrupting the learning of 29 others in the room, are removed and sent to another class. They don't like it and often the threat of it is enough to diffuse a situation. It is never on a first offense. I have sent students to other classes and I have accepted misbehaving students into my class. The teachers work it out between themselves. The headteacher really has better things to do.

The teacher is in perfect control. She has removed the problem and learning is continuing as planned.

You sound like hard work OP. Maybe concentrate on why your DC is misbehaving to the point they are being removed from the classroom.

spanieleyes Tue 19-Feb-19 21:19:32

I would say DC is better behaved at school than home
I wonder why wink

arethereanyleftatall Tue 19-Feb-19 21:19:32

'Where the teachers have a few LSA's on hand to help.'
I disagree that the LSA should be used in this way.
As a parent of non-disruptive children, I am very much in favour of punishments for disruptive behaviour which don't involve using all of the class resources that are supposed to be there to benefit all the children, not just one.

ReaganSomerset Tue 19-Feb-19 21:19:59

A great example of the classic:

OP: AIBU?
MN: Yes.
OP: No, I'm not!

Ahh, in this ever-changing world of ours it's nice to know that some things remain constant.

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Tue 19-Feb-19 21:20:37

in fact I would say DC is better behaved at school than home tbh

Maybe that's because there are consequences for negative behaviour at school.

missmapp Tue 19-Feb-19 21:20:37

Even with LSAs the child may need to be elsewhere. In reception children sit on the 'thinking spot'. This may be in the next door class. The LSAs will have other, learning based interventions to do

CherryPavlova Tue 19-Feb-19 21:21:38

Reception is a very good time to learn that rules apply to them, that actions have consequences and that parents support the school teacher in setting clear expectations and boundaries. Saved a lot of pain later on. Why should 29 children be disrupted by one unruly child?

Sirzy Tue 19-Feb-19 21:22:26

So what do you expect the lsa to do?

I am sure they would love your miracle answers which in no way make any other children aware that they are misbehaving hmm

Hedwigsradio Tue 19-Feb-19 21:22:52

This really worked for my son he was in year one and being noisy/not listening. He was so shocked to be put in a year 6 classroom he has behaved ever since (now year 3) as he is worried they will do it again.

Maelstrop Tue 19-Feb-19 21:23:32

I’ve taught in very posh areas with Uber M/C families, and in very impoverished areas. The former usually have far more trouble dealing with the idea of little Pancreatitis being told off or disciplined than the latter.

Totally agree! I had a parent tell me I should change my approach to little 'Pancreatitis' the other day as he didn't like me. I was like 'Sure, as soon as he changes his approach of attempting to disrupt and behaving like a very naughty child'!

Fairenuff Tue 19-Feb-19 21:24:59

< sends OP to sit in another thread until she calms down and sees sense >

LonelyandTiredandLow Tue 19-Feb-19 21:27:05

My friend who is a teacher was very upset when her youngest was put on the "raincloud" for weeks in a row. She has blinkers towards him IMO (always tells off his older sibling but not her "baby" which is really hard to watch) and complained that it meant the other kids saw him as naughty/angry etc. In all honesty I think it did him the world of good - the one place he can't get away with his behaviour is the school. His brother who she labels as "difficult" was always on the sun - he's so sweet and lovely but she can't see it. I think parents sometimes don't see their children through fresh eyes and the kids can get away with more at home.

SachaStark Tue 19-Feb-19 21:27:44

Why the emphasis on reception? Surely this is the perfect time to learn that in school, poor behaviour has consequences, and those consequences WILL be adhered to.

clairemcnam Tue 19-Feb-19 21:30:52

LSAs should be there to support children who need additional support. Not to contain a child who is being naughty. It is far better to stop a child's negative behaviour than just contain it.

SachaStark Tue 19-Feb-19 21:35:19

I do think that maybe parents need to be told what we were all taught in our PGCEs: that children actually CRAVE boundaries, and the enforcing of them. Because it makes them feel safe and secure, and that somebody is in charge.

missmartini Tue 19-Feb-19 21:36:17

To emphasise RECEPTION age

Yes because RECEPTION age children can misbehave too...

WorraLiberty Tue 19-Feb-19 21:39:51

Is RECEPTION with caps lock different to reception somehow?

chilledteacher Tue 19-Feb-19 21:58:05

@WorraLiberty, it's one step down from RECEPTION don't you know ;)

mineofuselessinformation Tue 19-Feb-19 22:13:40

To reiterate - are these your child / children we are talking about, or someone else's?

SadOtter Tue 19-Feb-19 22:15:09

We do this, it's 2 form entry so they go to the other class of the same year, or they'll come out with my intervention groups. If that doesn't work they'll then go to a member of SLT's class, then the head if still messing around.

It isn't about humiliating the child, its just about getting them to quit whatever it is they are doing so everyone else can learn. It is usually the minor things because serious things go straight to the head but a child who is just being irritating a bit of a distraction doesn't really need to when 5 minutes time out generally works. Plus if we start sending kids to the head for the little things what will we do to let them know they are in serious trouble?

SadOtter Tue 19-Feb-19 22:20:06

* they are actively showing the other children 'look at this naughty child' and humiliating them*

By the point a child is sent out of class the other children will have already noticed them misbehaving, frankly by this point the other children have normally started getting annoyed by the behaviour too.

Macaroni46 Tue 19-Feb-19 22:21:47

When my DC were at primary school if you talked during assembly you were made to stand up. Now that was humiliating! My younger DC was made to do this a couple of times. She never misbehaved again. That's ten years ago now and she's a well balanced young woman with no scars from the experience!
I do think some parents these days really do overthink things and positively ruin their children but not enforcing boundaries.

Contraceptionismyfriend Tue 19-Feb-19 22:25:16

YABU.

Sounds like a very unappealing punishment. Hopefully enough to make the child behave. If they don't behave everyone is aware of the punishment.

Coconut0il Tue 19-Feb-19 22:28:17

What would you like the LSA to do? I'm in a similar role and would almost always be working with 6+ pupils. If a child has had appropriate warnings they will be sent out, with their work, to work in another class.
It would be very unfair to the group I was working with if I had to leave them to sit with 1 child who was misbehaving.
The comment about not being able to control the class is not true. Some of the teachers with the best classroom management use this and the children quickly learn there is no room for messing about. In fact, I would go as far as to say the opposite is true, I have worked with other teachers where the children have walked all over them due to there being no sanctions in place.

SassitudeandSparkle Tue 19-Feb-19 22:30:38

Yes, DD's school did this (I'm not a teacher just a parent) it was a multi-form entry so they were just sent to another class in their year.

It's not the first step in the behaviour policy by any means, if they've got to the stage of being sent out then EVERYONE in the class will have seen the behaviour first!

Doobydoobeedoo Tue 19-Feb-19 22:32:52

"To emphasise RECEPTION age. With 2 LSAs in class and parent helpers."

Parent helpers would not be involved in dealing with poor behaviour or general discipline. The LSAs would be busy supporting the other children.

It's now halfway through the school year. The Reception children will have spent the past 5 or 6 months learning about the school rules and how they should behave in class.

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 19-Feb-19 22:32:57

The PFB entitlement is strong with this one.

Contraceptionismyfriend Tue 19-Feb-19 22:34:34

* Feels like the teacher can't control a class tbh*

Feels like some people couldn't be arsed to raise their kids properly before unleashing them on the poor teachers.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Tue 19-Feb-19 22:38:28

I love that you think there’s a difference because your school is in a “well to do area”. The privileged children I’ve taught have been amongst the most challenging because they think everything is about them.

Nnnnnineteen Tue 19-Feb-19 22:42:09

If a child disrupts my class, I am entitled to mete the appropriate discipline that fits the situation. If you don't like the fact your child has disrupted a class to the point they need to be removed, take it up with your child, rather than the school's behaviour policy. A good parent, unless a member of staff has been bang out of order, may possibly roll their eyes a little then back the school 100%. Our issues mainly lie where mummy or daddy explain painstainkingly that the teacher is a twat and they will sort it out on Monday with the head teacher. Enter stage left: the little shit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »