Advanced search

To think you don't have to cancel a holiday for an interview?

(43 Posts)
TotHappy Tue 19-Feb-19 19:51:07

DH has applied for a job. Had an email earlier in the week to ask when they could call him to talk about the interview. Great news. We're due to go on holiday, leaving on Thursday evening, back on Wed 6th so nearly two weeks. He announced at dinner tonight that if they say tomorrow that they want to interview on Friday, he'll have to say yes (he doesnt work Fridays).

My gut reaction was to feel annoyed because the time to say he was away for 10 days and wouldn't be available for interview was either on the covering letter of the application or in response to the email asking to call. I think the email was the obvious time to say 'yes, I can take a call this week but just to let you know I'll be away so not available for a face to face interview between X and y'.

I feel annoyed because I suspect if he had said that, they would've been fine with it, but if he says it tomorrow during the call they may well be annoyed that he didn't mention it earlier and just write him off. I'd really rather not lose a day of our holiday - we could go on Friday night instead, we're driving so no money lost on flights. But I suspect if they're calling tomorrow they're actually thinking of an interview day next week, which would basically mean we can't go away.

Do you think it's ok to mention at this stage that he's away between X and Y but available after or will that lose him the job?

Aria999 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:53:05

I agree with you, he's left it a bit late. It may not matter but he could come over as flaky and indecisive.

CSIblonde Tue 19-Feb-19 19:55:15

I'd tell them I was away, but offer to do Skype or phone interview.

hidinginthenightgarden Tue 19-Feb-19 19:55:27

Could you go without him and he get the train to join you?
Unless this is his dream job/hates current one/currently has no job then yanbu.

TotHappy Tue 19-Feb-19 20:00:22

He does hate his current job. That's the problem. He's excited at the idea of this one but I guess won't know if it's really his dream job till he goes in and actually talks to them

I suggested Skype interview too but he said the fact they want to call to discuss it means they want to give him a task/mini project to do as interview.

I suppose I'll have to suck it up and stay if that's what he decides. But how frustrating if he stays, interviews and doesn't get it! We won't get a chance at another family holiday for some time. I don't really want to go alone with DD.

Annandale Tue 19-Feb-19 20:08:03

if he wants the job he needs to go to the interview, sorry.

TotHappy Tue 19-Feb-19 20:14:42

Yes - but do you think the interview date is non negotiable?

Looneytune253 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:15:58

Were the interview dates not set out on the application? Anyway, regardless if he wants the job he would have to go for the interview. An employer most likely would interview all applicants within a day or two then hired. I doubt they’d want to wait.

hoge Tue 19-Feb-19 20:18:38

It's a day out of a 10 day holiday, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Your support, or lack of, could be the difference in getting the job or not for him.

hoge Tue 19-Feb-19 20:19:21

Sorry, meant to add, if it were to be next week could he not come home and return?

MRex Tue 19-Feb-19 20:19:32

It would have been better to say earlier in the process, but it should be fine for him to contact them and say that he can interview in person until friday or after 6th because he's away, or he can interview by phone / skype any time.

PalmTree101 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:20:11

Can’t he just drive back for the interview?

Gomyownway Tue 19-Feb-19 20:20:35

They likely won’t wait two weeks to interview him if they are talking to other candidates

MrsRolly Tue 19-Feb-19 20:21:49

My understanding is if the interview date was advertised on the advert they don't have to see anybody who cannot attend on that date. If he wants the job I would advise staying. After a phone call alongside an application without mention the employer may take umbridge at being asked to wait an additional two weeks. Long time to keep other candidates waiting and a potential diary nightmare to get the interview panel back together. If he's confident he is who they want may be worth a chance but if it's not not sure I would risk it.

sighrollseyes Tue 19-Feb-19 20:25:20

Skype interview! I was in the canaries when I did my interview!

Jess499427 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:26:31

At work we usually accommodate requests for alternative interview dates if someone is on holiday, as long as we can get the panel together on the other day. Sometimes though the panel are super busy and have the interview day in their calendar weeks in advance so not possible. But definitely ask.

TotHappy Tue 19-Feb-19 20:28:37

No interview date advertised - applications don't even close till the end of the month,but they said they practise rolling recruitment so will appoint before closing date if they find someone suitable.

You're right, a day out of a 10 day holiday is worth it. If it's next week though we'll have to cancel the whole holiday. It's literally the other end of the country, a nine hour drive, so he can't go and come back. The petrol cost alone would be prohibitive.

Whisky2014 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:28:49

No he says "I'm on holiday then, schedule for 2 weeks time". They have to be accommodating.

TotHappy Tue 19-Feb-19 20:30:27

Its a job in the tech sector, very modern, flex company if that makes any difference.

MRex Tue 19-Feb-19 20:33:11

In the tech sector I'd see him this week if I could, or skype him and then get him for a face to face after your holiday if I really liked him. It wouldn't be an issue, they'll want the best not the most available (within reason).

Ragwort Tue 19-Feb-19 20:33:26

I think it’s really tough because a lot of companies will have scheduled the interview dates & would find it very difficult to reschedule for one person. The last interview I had I was offered a really difficult date, I did ask it was possible to change the date but was told it was not so I had to rearrange previous commitments at great inconvenience (fortunately I got the job grin.)

TotHappy Tue 19-Feb-19 20:35:56

That was what I thought MRex but he's nervous about seeming unavailable. I think I'll advise him to explain the circumstances and ask if it can be deferred two weeks. Or Skype. FFS you'd think they'd be all over that!

AnastasiaVonBeaverhausen Tue 19-Feb-19 20:35:58

If I really like the sound of someone, I will happily accommodate interviewing flexible as much as possible. I'm employing people with lives and often families and sometimes things can't be unarranged. If he were interviewing for one of my posts, I would suggest Thursday afternoon or Skype.

BlueJava Tue 19-Feb-19 20:40:23

I don't think interview dates are non negotiable - you can certainly say sorry I am on holiday. But you run the risk of them finding someone else in the mean time and then DH not getting a chance. If he hates his job then I'd want him to go for it - perhaps join by train later.

ForalltheSaints Tue 19-Feb-19 20:44:23

I find it strange. The DH must be keen to move to this job. In any application I have made, dates not available for interview are often asked for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »