Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a rude reply to an invitation?

(34 Posts)
smurfgirl Thu 05-Jul-07 15:10:29

I have been harping on about my birthday for ages and texted people this morning asking for a yes/no for a meal so I could book a table.

Just got a reply saying - well i have nothing else planned so I am a yes for now.

Um. To me that implies that if something else better comes up its a no - why can people not commit to a fecking meal for their mates birthday which is only 2 weeks away.

littlelapin Thu 05-Jul-07 15:11:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mindles Thu 05-Jul-07 15:11:34

I think that's very rude. Unless it was meant as a joke?

GameGirly Thu 05-Jul-07 15:11:41

If I were you I'd change the venue, and let everyone know except them.

littlelapin Thu 05-Jul-07 15:12:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrettyCandles Thu 05-Jul-07 15:12:53

It's almost certainly meant as a joke, but it's so rude that it's a very poor and bad taste joke.

Howdydoody Thu 05-Jul-07 15:13:34

Love LL suggestion!

smurfgirl Thu 05-Jul-07 15:14:00

Not a joke - badly thought out I suspect. Shite tho.

Ho hum. I suspect nobody will turn up anyway so at least she is being honest!

funkimummy Thu 05-Jul-07 15:14:08

Yes for now?!!?!?! What sort of friend are they? Send a text back saying that you've got too many booked at the table and can't place them so they can go and find something else to do 'for now'

sandyballs Thu 05-Jul-07 15:14:44

How weird! Very rude.

funkimummy Thu 05-Jul-07 15:15:02

Smurf don't be sad!! I expect they'll all come! You've just got 'I'm organising my own party' nerves!

expatinscotland Thu 05-Jul-07 15:15:10

That's beyond rude.

I'd text them back with what lapin said.

smurfgirl Thu 05-Jul-07 15:19:00

Its a friend in a group of friends so would not get away with it,

I always have shite birthdays that nobody remembers or botheres about so this year will be DIFFERENT and apparently bullying (well nicely) people into attending is the only way. Hmmm.

Katy44 Thu 05-Jul-07 15:23:04

That must be a joke, the kind I'd make, but ONLY to a friend who would know me ell enough to know I was definitely coming and wouldn't miss it. Otherwise it can be misinterpreted.

aDad Thu 05-Jul-07 15:26:56

V V V rude

tell them it's probably best they dont come in that case

SweetyDarling Thu 05-Jul-07 15:27:10

A joke SURELY!? Sounds like something my friends would say, but I would never imagine it was anything but a joke.

Carmenere Thu 05-Jul-07 15:29:48

Very rude and, as texting takes time and effort, not a mistake I'm afraid.

I would text back and say it's an invite and not an ordeal and to hump off if he/she can't be bothered being pleasant. But then I am pre-menstrual atm.............

Mumpbump Thu 05-Jul-07 15:36:31

Very rude! Text back and say you have to give definite numbers so if she's not sure, you'll count her out!

melsy Thu 05-Jul-07 15:36:38

Thing is you all say its rude , but it seems to be the way people speak with each other for some reason. It seems many are laissez faire about other peoples feelings and old fashioned politness and that seems acceptable discourse in social circles in our society. Weirdly I feel its borne out of the email & msn culture of not quite having to engage in the same way before these technologies came about.

I dont enjoy sorting my own parties , so I know how you feel. I get that sick feeling that no ones going to want to come.

morningpaper Thu 05-Jul-07 15:37:19

This is why Texting Is Evil

3andnomore Thu 05-Jul-07 15:38:10

((((Smurf))))

frapachino Thu 05-Jul-07 15:39:25

lol! Don't take it personally at least she's honest

time4me Thu 05-Jul-07 15:42:07

I think it is heartless and demoralising.
I have some very sensitive mememories about this cos when I was about 23 and everyone was with a boyfriend I had a so called friend who would agree to my invitations out on condition she didnn`t get a date first.I haven`t got any friends and I think it`s because I just got very disillusioned.
Loyalty seems to be a turn off for a lot of people.If I got an invitation I would have text back `yes,brilliant,lk forward to it`.
Is it just me or is anyone else like that similar.A psychiatrist told me I tried too hard,I`d like to think I was just friendly.

melsy Thu 05-Jul-07 15:45:27

nice psychiatrist time4me !!!! How can one "try to hard" , if it doesnt take then the person may be not worth all your lovely kind energy.

time4me Thu 05-Jul-07 15:48:22

Do you know you have made me feel better for the first time in years.Thank you.
If friendship is about bullying,competitiveness,being `honest` ( cruel in fact ) you can keep it.She can do without this friend,it`s very unkind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now