Talk

Advanced search

Friend committing benefit fraud

(101 Posts)
namechange091 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:32:45

Name changed.

A close friend is pregnant. She's living with her parents and her DP although claiming that he doesn't live there and pays minimum maintenance.

She's getting money for being a lone parent and he's also earning almost £2k a month and they have £50 a month rent to pay.

AIBU to be so angry about this?!
I keep getting temptations to dob her in but feel like it's immoral as a friend!

namechange091 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:33:28

Just seen there's another thread going about benefit fraud!confused I thought it was pretty rare.

NutellaStraightOutTheJar Tue 19-Feb-19 12:34:10

It will eventually probably catch up with them. Karma. Annoying, yes, but not your problem, TBH.

Babyroobs Tue 19-Feb-19 12:34:34

Report anonymously online. This kind of fraud ( greed) make me furious and is rife.

namechange091 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:36:16

@Babyroobs I just find it so annoying, there's so many parents that actually really struggle as single parents or even skint in a couple, how can they accept more money when knowing they already have so much? I get so frustrated seeing the luxury meals and holidays they go on etc.

hazell42 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:38:38

Why?
Firstly, his maintenance wouldn't be counted as it is not taken into account when deciding on benefit entitlement and secondly, if she is living with her parents and not claiming rent for another property then she isn't fraudulently claiming housing benefit.
so what is it that she has done wrong?
Except have more than you think she should.
Jesus some people can be so nasty

Babyroobs Tue 19-Feb-19 12:39:22

It is not rare. I help/ advise on a number of benefit sites on fb. Virtually every post is from young women with multiple children claiming as single ( and moaning they don't get enough benefits). On virtually every one of their fb profiles there is a note saying " engaged since 2013" and photos of them loved up with their fiancée and kids ( who is clearly the dad of the kids). It makes me furious. I worked with a colleague who had a seven year old with her current partner but ' officially he lived at his mums round the corner whilst she claimed lone parent benefits for four kids. he didn't live with his mum of course he lived with her. makes me furious because we are talking of benefit fraud to the tune of hundreds of pounds a month. It is just greed.

LordPickle Tue 19-Feb-19 12:40:20

Loads of people will be along to tell you that it's none of your business etc but honestly I'd report it. I have no problem with my tax money going to help people on benefits but obviously immoral and illegal fraud really makes me angry.

namechange091 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:40:43

@hazell42 she laughed to me about how she's claiming as a single parent so they have hundreds more each month knowing she wouldn't get anything at all with him being on £2k if she'd said they were a couple?

Babyroobs Tue 19-Feb-19 12:40:56

hazel - what she is doing wrong is getting hundreds of pounds of benefit a month when if her partners income ( as it should be if they are living together )was taken into account she would get nothing. Is that so difficult to understand ??

StreetwiseHercules Tue 19-Feb-19 12:43:45

OP, it’s got nothing to do with you. Why are you jealous of someone living off benefits? Would you swap places with her? Of course not.

So what do you care?

happinessischocolate Tue 19-Feb-19 12:43:49

You can report it anonymously online, I would

StreetwiseHercules Tue 19-Feb-19 12:45:53

hazel - what she is doing wrong is getting hundreds of pounds of benefit a month when if her partners income ( as it should be if they are living together )was taken into account she would get nothing. Is that so difficult to understand ??”

Big deal. Do you think she boards the money under her mattress or does she spend it in the local economy?

Obviouspretzel Tue 19-Feb-19 12:46:01

If you did report It, would you continue to be friends with her?

Babyroobs Tue 19-Feb-19 12:46:15

I don't think op is jealous of someone living off benefits, more angry at someone defrauding a system which is there to help people who have no means of support rather than people who are living with a partner earning 2k a month ?

happinessischocolate Tue 19-Feb-19 12:46:19

Streetwise her friend isn't living off benefits, she's using benefits as a top up to her family income. Yes it is other people business as it's fraud against all taxpayers.

hazell42 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:47:27

They aren't living together though are they. She is living with her mum and he stays there. Maybe every night. Maybe not,
Who cares?
Do you really want to be that person?
It is so mean spirited.
But if you do decide to dob in your 'friend', do have the courage of your convictions and tell her why. Don't hide behind an anonymous phone line and then pretend to sympathise with her

Babyroobs Tue 19-Feb-19 12:47:33

Some of the attitudes on here are disgusting.

namechange091 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:47:34

@Obviouspretzel doubt it - I haven't spoke to her since the conversation about it, I was so shocked and didn't expect it of her!

PinkiOcelot Tue 19-Feb-19 12:48:05

What are you on about Streetwise?!! She’s living fraudulently on benefits. Her partner gets £2k a month salary!!

namechange091 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:48:46

@hazell42 they lived together in a house, they both then moved in with her mum so they wouldn't have to pay rent too so would have all his wage and then benefits.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 19-Feb-19 12:49:05

They pay £50 pcm rent, so 12.50 PW.
Think I'll sell up and go rented instead.

happinessischocolate Tue 19-Feb-19 12:49:20

* Do you think she boards the money under her mattress or does she spend it in the local economy?*

Sound like she spends it on holidays so I doubt the local economy is getting any of it and it's still wrong even if she gave the whole lot to a local charity shop

buttertoff33 Tue 19-Feb-19 12:50:15

I would report it - friend or not.

It's not right and the general taxpayer funds this. So it is your issue. such behaviour gives makes claiming benefits for those who genuinely much more difficult.

Limensoda Tue 19-Feb-19 12:54:14

How much is she getting? Is this her first child? I doubt she gets much whilst still pregnant.
Tell her how you feel about it and that you feel you should report it if she keeps claiming. Don't go behind her back if she's a close friend ffs!
If you aren't going to report it feeling the way you do then you're as bad as she is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »