Talk

Advanced search

IATotallyU - come and kick me into touch.

(59 Posts)
SandunesAndRainclouds Mon 18-Feb-19 18:12:23

I’ve been in training for 3 weeks part time for a new job and today was the first day of being on the ‘shop floor’ as it were.

I’m completely overwhelmed at the task I’ve set myself, even though I know I’m capable. The last couple of years have been dominated by anxiety - I’ve been loads better recently and have felt ready to go back to work.

And yet here I am, hiding in a dark corner at home trying to compose myself away from DCs. I am so, so scared about going back tomorrow. Anxiety is winning, I feel like shit and I want to give up before I’ve even started.

Clearly this is completely unreasonable - so in the best AIBU form give it to me and tell me to stop being such a bloody idiot, pull myself together and get on with it.

<Braced for AIBU truthfulness>

SandunesAndRainclouds Tue 19-Feb-19 20:16:10

Thank you again for the support.

I can still feel the anxiety, almost a threat but coping ok so far this evening. Feeling guilty for not being around during half term - I’ve only been home for the DCs every single day for the last 6 years so I’m an utter failure, right?!

mummmy2017 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:19:18

List the worse things you can think of happening .
Getting kidnapped by aliens.
Sink hole... Ect
Then cross them all out tomorrow night when you get home.

BuckBuckMcFate Tue 19-Feb-19 20:21:14

I'd say you've earned some half term time off from the kids 😉

DorotheaHomeAlone Tue 19-Feb-19 20:27:35

On the surface I appear very calm and confident but I HATE starting new things and become a ball of terror and first doubt. I always convince myself that I’m terribly suited to whatever I’ve just begun and should just quit before they realise. I get through it by focusing on the short term (you just need to go this week then we’ll reevaluate), by reminding myself that everyone gets anxious at first, by remembering that everything I’ve loved doing I hated and felt anxious at first, and by aggressively shooting down any negative self talk in my head (I say ‘this is just your anxiety ‘ either in my head or out loud). You’ve done the hardest day. You can do the rest of this week and next week will be easier.

SandunesAndRainclouds Wed 20-Feb-19 07:08:10

So day 2 is better than day 1. I’ve slept (hooray!!) and I’ve managed to eat this morning. Two very big positives there.

mogtheexcellent Wed 20-Feb-19 08:38:53

Wow. That's fabulous. Well done you.

Sounds weird but I always do an ally mc Beale style inner song when I need a bit of oomf in my confidence. Currently its Happy by pharrell Williams

notapizzaeater Wed 20-Feb-19 09:19:30

Fantastic, I'd write down in a note how you are feeling now and when you get home to look at it on bad days to see how you survived and conquered it.

SandunesAndRainclouds Wed 20-Feb-19 15:18:24

Day 2 ✔️

I’ve survived! Feeling loads better. Thanks again all!

flumpybear Wed 20-Feb-19 15:24:12

Well done you 👍👍👍🍾

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »