Talk

Advanced search

Cake-gate

(128 Posts)
LellowYedbetter Sat 16-Feb-19 23:27:14

DS got a cake for his 18th. He’s not been home to see it cut (he does live here). He’s coming back tomorrow. DSS2 is here this weekend and wants some. I have said to DS to come home tomorrow morning so that DSS can get some cake before he goes home. I then said to DH that DSS2 can take some home for DSS1 (and his mum if he wants to) as it will get wasted otherwise. DH immediately said “no it’s ok”. I said “it will only go to waste that’s all ...” to which DH said “I don’t understand why you create so much drama around cake? It’s like as soon as a cake appears, you go into military mode ... it’s all stress and precision ... it’s weird ... “

So am I being a weird cunt or what? I don’t get what I did wrong?

hastingsmua1 Sun 17-Feb-19 21:31:46

Sorry but I agree with your husband judging by your posts. It’s just cake, no big deal, cake does not warrant all of the mental arithmetics.

Who cares if the step son can’t eat a slice yet or take any home - it’s not their cake so wouldn’t have been fair to cut it early. You don’t have to feel guilty for not giving them cake lol, I’m sure there are other treats you could have shared with them. It’s a non issue.

It doesn’t matter if there’s 12 servings and 3 of you - the cake will still get eaten. It’s not out of the ordinary for someone to have two slices or a snack. If this bugs you, buy a smaller cake in future? Again, no big deal.

And on the other hand, your son is at an age where he wants to be with his mates/girlfriend rather than his family, and that’s okay. My memories of 18th celebrations definitely involved my friends, boyfriend and celebrating outside of the house. I’m not surprised that a bloody cake isn’t the main thing on his mind.

To be honest, if you want to eat the cake then go for it as it’s not a big deal where you have to put this much thought into it. It’s just food.

spudlet7 Sun 17-Feb-19 23:19:49

Well OP cares and quite rightly too. How lovely that she wanted her DSS to have something that would have made him happy.

bridgetreilly Sun 17-Feb-19 23:28:08

How lovely that she wanted her DSS to have something that would have made him happy.

And yet, didn't give him any of it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »