Talk

Advanced search

Giving baby OJ in a bottle - who is BU?

(51 Posts)
willisurvive3under2 Sat 16-Feb-19 22:35:01

Freshly squeezed! But still confused

10 month old twins. My DM is visiting from overseas. She did the twins tea and gave them a few orange segments after their main. Twin 1 is a more advanced eater and happily sucked/ate them. Twin 2 wouldn't touch them (she's not great at feeding herself still) so DM squeezed some orange juice into a bottle and she happily drunk it. It was 2 oz if that, roughly half an orange.

This seems bonkers and I was about to get annoyed but I tried hard to be rational and I can't see what she's done wrong. Both girls had some OJ one way or another. Everyone happy.

Would this bother you? Was she being unreasonable? I should add the girls have a cold and she was making a point about giving them vitamin C.

3in4years Sun 17-Feb-19 03:42:52

I never knew about citrus and nappy rash. I've been lucky then, as all 3 of mine loved satsumas but never had nappy rash.

PorridgeLove Sun 17-Feb-19 03:30:04

MY 2yr old DS has never had juice in his life. It is one of the things where I put my foot down. He is already very attached to his milk bottle (I know!) and loves fruit. If he learned about juice he would probably as for it all the time.

Just explain to her that the twins are not to drink ANY juice, but can have all the fruit they want. Twin 2's eating skills are much more likely to develop if she's up against a challenge from time to time. Juice in a bottle is "too easy".

So, YANBU, but it is also not a big deal. I've seen someone give Coke Zero to her one-year old. That is nuts, imho.

Nothinglefttochoose Sun 17-Feb-19 01:48:09

Terrible for their teeth. Don’t let her do it again.

OldBean2 Sun 17-Feb-19 00:46:36

They may not have teeth yet but they will shortly and you are allowing them to start to favour sugary drinks. Can I suggest you google Bottle Caries, so you know what you would be letting yourself in for.

Fitting toddlers with dentures is no fun, believe me as I have had to do it.

YourSarcasmIsDripping Sun 17-Feb-19 00:44:54

Nope not seeing the issue either..the sugar ,the acid the whatever. Baby 1 had the orange itself and no one is horrified by that. Baby 2 had the same orange but squeezed into juice , not a bottle of Fanta.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 17-Feb-19 00:31:03

So baby 1 sucked the juice from a couple of orange segments on their own and baby 2 sucked the juice from a couple of orange segments that had been squeezed into a bottle? Absolutely no issue.

Pinkkahori Sun 17-Feb-19 00:22:50

As a one off i'd be more concerned about the choking hazard of a 10 month old sucking on orange segments unless it was a segmented orange with the membrane removed.

peachgreen Sun 17-Feb-19 00:18:37

I'm not particularly precious about what DD eats but to be honest I'm trying to avoid all drinks except water and milk for as long as possible so I'd have been really annoyed too.

IncrediblySadToo Sun 17-Feb-19 00:16:17

So many reasons not to do this, no benefit to doing it.

I think you’re uncomfortable because the reasons not to are all gathered slowly but build up to it being ‘not a good idea’.

- too concentrated for babies
- too acidic for babies stomachs
- really bad for teeth, including those growing

- loads of sugar & no fibre

- bottles are for milk
- cups for water

- babies do NOT need juice, it’s a bad habit to start

As a one off I wouldn’t be bothered, but I’d ask her not to do it again.

blueskiesovertheforest Sun 17-Feb-19 00:10:03

Citrus fruits are highly likely (in the scheme of things) to be allergens and most people want to be aware and monitor their introduction.

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 17-Feb-19 00:08:35

Crispbutty
Eating the fruit whole seriously slows absorption. Drinking juice even freshly squeezed is instantly metabolised and can lead to diarrhoea in infants.

It was a one off. She was trying to do something nice but it could have caused you lo digestive issues so ask not to do again unless diluted as discussed above.

steff13 Sun 17-Feb-19 00:04:54

We didn't let our kids have juice until they were 2, because we wanted them to be established water drinkers first. But I wouldn't stress about this as a one-off.

ThreeAnkleBiters Sun 17-Feb-19 00:01:29

I wouldn't really choose to give a 10 month old orange juice but I also couldn't get upset about it as a one off. It wasn't like it was vodka.

CrispbuttyNo1 Sat 16-Feb-19 23:50:16

So what is the difference between giving a child a slice of orange to suck the juice out of and eat, and giving them the juice of an orange. Because I’m failing to see any difference there. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Nanny0gg Sat 16-Feb-19 23:45:36

So all of you give/gave your babies juice in a bottle, yes?

Or you followed the guidelines that have been around forever that you don't do this?

MitziK Sat 16-Feb-19 23:44:22

You can't do it regularly or the front teeth will come through rotten and brown (as I saw with a neighbour's baby boy - he had them taken out under general anaesthetic when he was 4 - Mum was beside herself with worry that he could dying under anaesthetia --but that didn't stop her giving him sugary drinks on the way home from the hospital--).

But as a one off, it won't hurt.

Vixxxy Sat 16-Feb-19 23:43:11

Why one whiff of juice and your DCs bums were red raw? Am I missing something?

My son is like this. Its the same if he eats grapes or strawberries, or any kind of acidic fruit actually. Gets acidic diarrhoea. Doctor says its nowt to worry about, just avoid those foods. But its annoying having a child who absolutely adores all fruit and you can pretty much only give him bananas!

MrsJayy Sat 16-Feb-19 23:40:29

There is no real difference in the actual orange the other baby had

PodgeBod Sat 16-Feb-19 23:40:26

If she was babysitting every week I would raise it as an issue, but don't worry too much as a one off

user1493423934 Sat 16-Feb-19 23:37:53

They may not have teeth but orange juice is full of sugar! and as Double said its not good for their tummies.
I have never given my kids full juice - only water and milk and diluted juice.

Alsohuman Sat 16-Feb-19 23:33:25

No teeth, no damage. Non event.

Doubletrouble99 Sat 16-Feb-19 23:23:36

I am amazed at how few of you realise that giving orange juice to a child under 1 year old is not recommended due to the fact that it is very acidic and their digestive system is not developed enough to cope with it.
That is the problem folks.

BlueCornishPixie Sat 16-Feb-19 23:15:59

As a one off and with no teeth, I don't see a problem.

As a general rule, nothing but water or milk in a bottle once they have teeth. The way children drink through a bottle basically means you bathe their front teeth in sugary acid. It's terrible for their teeth.

The odd time will do no harm, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

halfwitpicker Sat 16-Feb-19 23:15:24

Oh come on OP

MrsJayy Sat 16-Feb-19 23:13:52

Citrus fruit can cause acidic urine that can cause a sore bum, you are right tinkly we were told to avoid fruit juice from cartons or to dilute it but this was a fresh orange so probably ok as a one off.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »