Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a refund/replacement?

(95 Posts)
Valentinesschmalentines Sat 16-Feb-19 20:29:40

Genuine curiosity into how small businesses work. I went to a cafe with my mum and grandmother for coffee, and my grandmother wanted a cake and chose a vegan brownie. None of us are vegan but hey ho, very happy to try something new.
Grandmother took one bite and refused any more, mother tried some and same, I tried a bit thinking I wouldn’t want it to go to waste and oh my goodness it was not good. I have never known my grandmother to refuse a treat, and I’m pretty much the same, but it was not good and we left 95%.

I asked the waitress what was in it, she gave some half explanation, then I told her very politely that we didn’t find it very nice and wouldn’t have any more of it. She shrugged and walked off.

We paid, and it’s fine, not the end of the world, but I am genuinely curious if other people (especially those with experience in a similar business), is that what you’d expect if a customer didn’t like something?

hallamoo Sun 17-Feb-19 12:34:47

Ski4130 - raw vegan is completely different tho.

KeepCalm Sun 17-Feb-19 11:42:31

If it's inedible then a refund but because she didn't like it? No.

And I run a small independent local cafe. <gavel>

OftenHangry Sun 17-Feb-19 10:55:33

Bit off the refund topic, but since we are on vegan food and cauliflower... Do you remember this ?
M&S £2😂

PuppyMonkey Sun 17-Feb-19 10:50:29

Wouldn’t expect a refund but I would expect the waitress not to just shrug. A nice pleasant: “Oh that’s a shame I’ll pass your feedback on” would have been enough for me.

Ski4130 Sun 17-Feb-19 10:50:05

If you've never had a delicious vegan cake, you've been going to the wrong places

Honestly, everyone else in the cafe seemed to be loving their food choices - and my main course was lovely - the desserts were, by and large, pretty ropey looking to me though. My very enthusiastically raw vegan food eating sister was very enthused about her ‘cheesecake/definitely not cheesecake’, so I think vegan alternatives do taste odd to the untrained palate!

hallamoo Sun 17-Feb-19 10:39:30

I've had cake that tastes vile, both vegan and non-vegan.

You cannot simply state 'all vegan cake is vile'.

If you've never had a delicious vegan cake, you've been going to the wrong places.

....and vegans do enjoy delicious food thanks. Maybe the food industry should catch up with what we've been cooking at home for years. Some restaurants do take the piss with vegan options; e.g. a main course which is basically a slice of cauliflower for a tenner! Sorry, that is not a main course, it's way overpriced for a start, there's no protein, and cauliflower is a side dish!

donquixotedelamancha Sun 17-Feb-19 09:58:51

I’m sure there were some appreciative vegans who loved it.

I don't think Vegans actually like awful food, it's just that they are willing to put up with the taste of a cauliflower brownie because it carries a social value for them.

Ski4130 Sun 17-Feb-19 09:23:01

Meh, you order something new and don’t like it, you chalk it up to experience surely? I once ordered a raw vegan banoffee pie (I was eating out with my sister, who loves raw vegan food cafes where they serve raw vegan things masquerading as the real deal!) anyway, suffice to say, I will never EVER order a raw vegan bannoffee pie again. It was rank. I didn’t expect a refund though, it just wasn’t what I liked, but I’m sure there were some appreciative vegans who loved it.

Ihaveabloodyheadache Sun 17-Feb-19 09:10:26

Don’t ever underestimate the general public’s ability to take the piss!

How very true! Had someone once complain their chicken was cold in the middle and would poison them. I knew it wasn't because I'd watched the chef probe it before it left the kitchen. It took me about 15 seconds to get to the table. This person had form and my manager had had enough. He got the probe from the kitchen and probed it there at the table - still 77c - which is 2c above required temp, and this was a couple of minutes later. They didn't pay, because they got up and stormed out. Some people don't like getting caught taking the piss!
YABU
However, where I work we probably would have swapped it for something else, but then we're not a small place. And I'd have probably tried another bit of the same batch as I'd have a better idea of what it's supposed to taste like, and therefore if anything was wrong.
As a few pp have said, it's good customer service and people are more likely to recommend and return, but it shouldn't be expected because you didn't like the taste.

But it's just a bit of brownie so not labour intensive, taking up chef's time, pushing back other meals etc. Had it been a full meal we wouldn't refund/replace unless there is something genuinely wrong with wrong with the food.

HollyGoLoudly1 Sun 17-Feb-19 08:48:30

YABU. Unless there is something wrong with it (stale etc) you cannot expect a refund for something in a cafe just because you personally don't like the taste. It's the risk of trying new things but it's not the cafes fault or error, so they don't owe a refund.

OftenHangry Sun 17-Feb-19 08:44:58

@vinegarqueen not really if you put 'vegan' infront of it.
Like with other foods.
Vegan buffalo wings - cauliflower
Vegan steak - probs cauliflower
Vegan pavlova - aquafaba
And so on.
It can look like the original thing, but certainly will not taste like it. So the brownie really could have been fine, but they just simply weren't used to or prepared for tbe taste of some ingredients.

JenniferJareau Sun 17-Feb-19 08:42:06

It's a vegan brownie so its ingredients will be somewhat different to a normal brownie. Therefore you cannot expect it to taste the same.

vinegarqueen Sun 17-Feb-19 08:38:58

Hmm, if you are selling a cake described as a brownie it should have brownie-like properties, no? That said, if you want a refund and it's a small business then you need to be able to explain what is wrong with it more accurately than you just didn't like it so you can make a case that there's an error with the recipe or bake.

Those who got refunds in Starbucks: I am amazed as even when they have got my drink wrong they have shrugged and refused to make it again even though there is a SIGN saying they will.

Pinkprincess1978 Sun 17-Feb-19 08:04:25

I would love to know the size of the cake if three bites was only 5%, it sounds like my kind of slice! 😂

I agree with others, you can only expect a refund or replacement if there was something wrong with it like it was burnt for example not because it is not to your taste.

Giraffesinscarves Sun 17-Feb-19 08:02:06

We had room service at disneyland paris and it was truely awful. Think worst ever frozen pizza then multiply by 10. We shrugged it off and thought won't order that again. Got tea and coffee for the rest of the trip. Anyway got to the end at check out and thought I'd mention it as feedback. Receptionist was so apologetic she instantly wiped our room service bill for the week. I must admit I was impressed with that as customer service.

If it were a big corporation i guess its easier to rectify than if its a little local cafe that's got big overheads to meet.

OneInEight Sun 17-Feb-19 07:54:30

The thing is if I had unedible food at a cafe I would not be going back and I would not be recommending it to friends or family. So it is in the cafe's best interest for continued trade to offer a replacement & to keep their customer's happy. Assuming, of course, that not all their food is unedible.

ourkidmolly Sun 17-Feb-19 07:50:53

These cake shops are going to go out of business soon if they keep on serving all this vegan stuff. Every bloody cake is gluten free too. Not everyone has an intolerance or allergy. I'm sick of it. I live in London and every trendy cafe has a menu of shite cakes that taste like greasy dates.

randomsabreuse Sun 17-Feb-19 07:27:58

I'd expect a vegan brownie to be ok - currently vegan for desserts thanks to baby reacting interestingly to dairy and egg. It's risen sponges I'd expect to suck... soft and gooey is much easier.

Egg Free banana bread seems pretty foolproof - once I slashed out on post tin shaped tin liners it hasn't failed me once and zizzi had a yummy chocolate torte using dates I think.

JenniferJareau Sun 17-Feb-19 07:17:22

YABU. She chose an item that she knew would not be a traditional brownie. She tried it and didn't like it. That the risk you run when you order something different / new.

I wouldn't have given you a refund. You clearly knew it was vegan but seemed to expect it to taste the same as a normal brownie.

londonrach Sun 17-Feb-19 07:09:17

I go against the tide here. If the food is unedible you should get refund or replacement. I had to return a cake once at a small cafe as it was dry and tasted tbh awful. The owner couldnt be nicer. She agree and replaced with. Fresh one. Good customer service as ive returned since. Yanbu. Saying that ive never had a nice vegan cake so id avoid them.

Margot33 Sun 17-Feb-19 07:02:57

I tried being vegan, I can confirm that most vegan cakes taste awful. I don't think a refund should be given if someone didn't like it.

PodgeBod Sun 17-Feb-19 00:14:34

There's a stall near me which sells vegan cakes and I thought they were soaps for the longest time. But I'm sure vegan brownie can be lovely grin

KrazyKatlady Sat 16-Feb-19 23:48:45

I went into a cafe a couple of years ago and there was a dead mouse under the sofa!! shock
WE only noticed when we got up to leave. we told the waitress and she looked horrified, but we didn't ask for any refund!!

WaddesdonWanderer Sat 16-Feb-19 23:44:41

I’m a full-on carnivore and a naice vegan café has just opened near me, I tried a vegan choccie brownie and it was delicious. So it is possible. If it tasted crap they should’ve given you a refund imo.

Jaxhog Sat 16-Feb-19 23:38:44

As Judge Judy would say 'you ate the steak, you pay for the steak!'.

If they used sour milk in your Latte, then you can ask for a replacement. You don't like the brownie, tough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »