Talk

Advanced search

To think that most women are taking anti depressants?

(653 Posts)
Jambalaya76 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:56:32

Hi

I have been on and off these for most of my adult life. Life is easier with them and I find I am more able to cope with life stresses. I feel normal and tend to let upsets go over my head. Life is better with them. However, I have had a lot to deal with in my little life so feel like a need a little help.

Over the years, I have met so many people who say they also take them. Not that I ever bring it up. It made me wonder if I was to ask people, I wonder how many are taking anti depressants? This seems the perfect forum to ask.

So, how many of us woman here take, or have taken, antidepressants?

Bobbycat121 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:58:16

Ive never taken them and dont know anyone who does. Not something I would take personally.

Greenglassteacup Sat 16-Feb-19 10:58:32

I don’t think that “most women are taking antidepressants”.

Greenglassteacup Sat 16-Feb-19 10:59:03

I have t taken them, doesn’t mean I haven’t struggled a lot at times

Greenglassteacup Sat 16-Feb-19 10:59:17

* haven’t

EyelashNamechange0 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:59:42

Lucky you, bobby, that you haven't needed them.

I do wonder though whether, because of the stigma of mental health, whether we would necessarily know if our friends were taking them

kaytee87 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:59:49

No, I don't think most women are taking them. I've never taken them and only know of a couple of people who have.

monkeysox Sat 16-Feb-19 10:59:58

Not most. No.
I know a couple of people.

Geminijes Sat 16-Feb-19 11:00:09

I have never taken them and never would take them. The only person I know who does take them is male.

Gruzinkerbell1 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:00:12

I've never taken them but I know women who have and do. Well done Jam for getting help flowers

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 16-Feb-19 11:00:28

I don't know many people on Anti-depressants. YABU

DragonMamma Sat 16-Feb-19 11:00:36

I’ve only taken them for post natal anxiety, for around 6 months. Most women I know well aren’t on them. We are pretty open and talk about stuff much worse than MH issues so it’s not a stigma. They just don’t take them.

My nan on the other hand has taken them for about 30years and I’m not entirely sure she knows why she takes them. They are just another pill amongst many....

Spam88 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:00:54

I know a lot of people who've taken them, but fairly equal numbers of males and females.

Bobbycat121 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:01:29

Err the op did ask! no need to be snappy ffs!

Marmite27 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:01:34

I don’t think this is true, I know barely anyone that does. One friend did for PND. The other one is a man.

Fairenuff Sat 16-Feb-19 11:01:47

No I've never taken them. But I know one woman and one man who do.

SimoneStrasser Sat 16-Feb-19 11:01:50

I’ve never had to take any and as far as I’m aware most of the women I’m close to aren’t either.

PlasticPatty Sat 16-Feb-19 11:02:26

No, we are not!
But if we need them, we should take them, just as we would accept help for a physical ailment.

lottielady Sat 16-Feb-19 11:02:40

I take them, for GAD and HA.

At one time, most of the people I knew were on them. Maybe birds of a feather flock together?

Bobbycat121 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:03:13

And it looks like im not the only
person who said they wouldnt take them, I wouldnt take medication personally, its not a criticism to anyone who does.

My ex took them he is male thats all I know of.

Rockbird Sat 16-Feb-19 11:03:25

Some friends and I did a straw poll and out of 10 of us, only two weren't currently on antidepressants. One had never been on them. Mix of ages, backgrounds etc.

RexMyDarling Sat 16-Feb-19 11:03:28

Yup I know several people who take them, most are women at least one is a man.

I’ll be on them for the rest of my life. My life has been so difficult since 2011 and due to disability will be going forwards. I love them - I’m the me I’m supposed to be on them: kinder, calmer, less stressed, less hypersensitive. They’re a wonderful invention.

LilaJude Sat 16-Feb-19 11:03:28

I’m not taking them at the moment but have at times in the past. I think it’s very unhelpful for people to say things like ‘not something I would take’ because it’s stigmatising. They are just like any other medicine.

There are probably stats available online to tell you how many people take them OP. I doubt it’s most women, but it will be a lot.

Serialweightwatcher Sat 16-Feb-19 11:04:12

I know a lot of women on antidepressants - I need them because of bad anxiety but I tried them once (one tablet) and it scared the hell out of me ... unfortunately with anxiety it makes it worse for the first 3 weeks, but I couldn't take another because it was dreadful.

joyfullittlehippo Sat 16-Feb-19 11:04:21

Yes, and I don't know anyone who hasn't at least tried them.

But it's such a taboo, it's not surprising people who haven't tried them/are against the idea would not know if their friends are on them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: