Talk

Advanced search

To think women are fucked over with contraception

(87 Posts)
Nuphonewhodis Thu 14-Feb-19 19:19:30

So I've only ever used condoms as I've only really had sporadic sex. However, I've started getting serious with a new man and I really need a more reliable form of contraception (as well as condoms).

However, I've been researching different contraceptions and every single one seems to have a risk of some really shit side effects!

Acne, weight gain, more painful periods!
I'm so jealous of how easy men have it I'm this regard!

So does anyone have any recommendations for a contraception that isn't likely to give me acne, make me gain weight or make my already very painful peropds worse?! Aka the holy grail

whitehousemum Fri 15-Feb-19 20:29:51

I'm struggling with this too. I was on the pill for several years but it killed my sex drive and I think contributed to making me me insulin resistant I have pcos). Came off it to have a baby, which took 3 years. In the meantime after that baby we used condoms but had an accident with one quite quickly - no pregnancy from that but made me worried. Now we are trying again, I've lost a lot of weight since first getting pregnant with my toddler and my periods are regularish again (still breastfeeding the toddler), I'm considering trying fertility awareness methods after next baby (if we manage to have one!) with the view that a third wouldn't be the end of the world but I know that actually it can be tricky to get pregnant and I feel more comfortable with knowing my fertility signs. If that fails, DH will have to go and have a vasectomy!.. he's not so keen on that right now...

Coldilox Fri 15-Feb-19 20:44:41

Lesbianism has proven very effective for me, only the one child (and that didn’t result from sex!) to manage periods I have the Mirena which I love, not had had a period for about 3 years.

gluteustothemaximus Sat 16-Feb-19 00:55:48

Tried several types of pill, all reacted very very badly. Acne on one, very severe. Mental breakdown feelings on another.

Did get bigger boobs with one, but migraines too.

Condoms it is, avoid ovulation/fertile window. Worked for many years.

Bubba1234 Sat 16-Feb-19 01:14:30

Mirena coil best invention ever
Seriously can’t understand how not everyone just gets it in that can that is
You get it fitted then for 5 years your free

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sat 16-Feb-19 01:16:11

But arent there female versions of a condom? So like condoms only thing to worry about is latex allergy. I would imagine you cant use both male and female condoms at the same time but its still a female side effect equivalent to male contraception that PPs consider easy.

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty Sat 16-Feb-19 01:16:30

Diaphragm and condoms, I wish I had used them religiously and not jusy asked for the pill because i didnt know about the sude effevts and it toook me years to realise i was getting psychotic bevause of it

QwertyLou Sat 16-Feb-19 09:33:08

I agree the burden is disproportionately on women. Quite unfair! But I think even if the man was taking the male pill (which I believe does exist now)... I wouldn’t want to rely on that alone.

Condoms (strictly correct use - Not “you only have to put it on at the end” (!!)) plus charting for now.

Then try the other options and see how you go, it’s such an individual thing.

RoboticSealpup Sat 16-Feb-19 10:29:03

But arent there female versions of a condom?

The fact that you're even aging this tells you something, doesn't it? I've never seen these sold or advertised anywhere.

RoboticSealpup Sat 16-Feb-19 10:29:15

*asking, not aging

Tumbleweed101 Sun 17-Feb-19 14:10:36

I’ve only used condoms and natural cycle methods. Haven’t taken any hormonal birth control at all and I’m in my 40’s now. I’ve never been keen on the idea of altering my natural cycle and I also had friends who struggled to have children and both had been put on the pill as teens, so that made me more wary still.

yikesanotherbooboo Sun 17-Feb-19 14:42:50

Most women are fine with most forms of contraception.
Acne and significant weight gain are not common side effects. All of the methods are easily reversible .
Talk to your doctor or family planning nurse about your options and try the method that seems to fit the bill best. If it doesn't suit you , try something else. A very few women are very susceptible to hormone side effects which greatly limits their choices but most find something that suits. Don't let fear of side effects put you off using adequate contraception , apart from anything else pregnancy hormones are much more likely to give you spot, cause weight gain, cause blood clots, upset your mood and libido etc.

Inaquandry06 Sun 17-Feb-19 18:54:26

Marking place, I have children already but have been on and off the pill since I was a teenager, have come off it completely now as it ruined my libido and ruined my mental health and I am lates 30s so thought that’s probably long enough to have been pumping hormones into my body.

Plus side of the pill was hardly any weight gain, lighter periods and my skin was glowing - however now I’ve stopped taking it my acne has come back tenfold!

I too need something more reliable than condoms but am worried about side effects of other contraception

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »