Talk

Advanced search

To think women are fucked over with contraception

(87 Posts)
Nuphonewhodis Thu 14-Feb-19 19:19:30

So I've only ever used condoms as I've only really had sporadic sex. However, I've started getting serious with a new man and I really need a more reliable form of contraception (as well as condoms).

However, I've been researching different contraceptions and every single one seems to have a risk of some really shit side effects!

Acne, weight gain, more painful periods!
I'm so jealous of how easy men have it I'm this regard!

So does anyone have any recommendations for a contraception that isn't likely to give me acne, make me gain weight or make my already very painful peropds worse?! Aka the holy grail

MemorialBeach Thu 14-Feb-19 20:04:36

Diaphragm or cap plus spermicide plus condom. Or diaphragm or cap plus spermicide plus withdrawal. Or condom plus withdrawal. Or as mentioned by a PP charting plus either condom cap or diaphragm.

I have only recently started having sex for the first time (am iny 40s) and spent ages looking into the various contraception options and was really annoyed with all the possible side effects, and the fact that most were for women. I am currently using condoms, and plan to start using the diaphragm as well soon. I can't chart as am perimenopausal and my periods are all over the place.

fibonaccisequins Thu 14-Feb-19 20:05:12

I got a Mirena coil 10 months ago, and up until a few months ago I wanted it removed. Random bleeding (still much lighter than my heavy periods when not on HC, but went on for weeks at a time) and it did affect my previously clear skin for a few months. Those hormonal volcanoes beneath the skin type acne. Now I seem to have a very light 'period' every couple of months, and my skin has cleared up nicely. I love it now, but it took some time to get there.

Milly90 Thu 14-Feb-19 20:05:13

Copper coil is great for me

Non hormonal
My periods are LESS HEAVY and less painful!

Lasts 5 years

Weathergirl1 Thu 14-Feb-19 20:08:46

Agree with @Purpleartichoke

I wish Natural Cycles had been around sooner for me. Used it for nearly 3 years now and find it's been an eye opener for me understanding how my body works. If you're thinking of having a family in the future - you'll already know how your cycles are.

With the caveat that it won't work for all women as it's more involved - so no good if you're the type of person who wants something they can take and forget about!

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Thu 14-Feb-19 20:11:11

I'm on my third consecutive implant without any problems.

Fairylea Thu 14-Feb-19 20:12:18

I take the combined pill as a form of HRT and I think it’s amazing. I am going through an early menopause aged 38 and I am very low on oestrogen which can damage your heart and cause bone problems later in life. The combined pill is a way for me to replace the oestrogen and have birth control at the same time. I have taken it safely for years and will continue to do so.

I think we are entering a very strange world where everyone is so terrified of risks and side effects no one wants to take or do anything. Yes it’s good to be aware of the risks but life is FULL of risks, you do whatever you need to do to make life bearable / fun / enjoyable. It’s about weighing it all up and deciding what’s worth trying.

Stinkinants Thu 14-Feb-19 20:54:53

Pill gave amplified my migraines but then I was already a sufferer. I didn't have weight gain issues with them nor did it particularly affect my periods. If you get a coil, just make sure the 'lie' of your uterus is checked, mine wasn't and the GP shoved the coil straight through the wall of my uterus, cue me passing out and needing it removed in hospital by GA. Not fun and despite the consultant kindly offering me another done properly under GA again, I politely declined!!

youaremyrain Thu 14-Feb-19 21:05:57

Patriarchy innit?! If men were more affected by pregnancy and birth, you can be sure they would've developed reliable, safe, side effect free contraception.

We have the technology for male birth control but the menz can't cope with the side effects (plus it's not very macho to take it as that's for women to worry about)
https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/30/health/male-birth-control/index.html

Trills Thu 14-Feb-19 21:20:46

The injection works well for me. I don't have periods, or the cyclic moods that used to come with my periods.

You'll always hear about the worst possible side effects, but not everyone has those side effects.

Seline Thu 14-Feb-19 21:25:47

Yes. I hate it

- condoms. Allergic to latex and feel disgusting anyway

-the pill. Crappy migraines on it and I got pregnant on it twice.

- the implant/mini pill. Don't want something that has to be surgically removed and those hormones make me depressed

- mirena. Got depression from that too

The only option I have it copper coil. Too bad I already have periods so agonising I'm prescribed opiates.

Oh and I also get pregnant really easily, and miscarry often in traumatic ways and another pregnancy that did go full term could potentially kill me.

Isn't it fun being me.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 14-Feb-19 21:26:34

According to MN the pill is evil. In my experience and that of many women I know, it isn't. I took the pill back in the late 1970s and early 1980s with no side effects whatsoever. DD is also fine on her pill.

tilder Thu 14-Feb-19 21:28:20

What PottyPotterer and youaremyrain said.

Women get a raw deal. Then again, I'm not sure I would want to rely on somebody else taking a pill to prevent me conceiving.

I use the Mirena and love it. Dh looked into the snip, but considered the risks to be to high. He hadn't weighed it against the risk to me from the mirena.

Mamabear12 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:32:10

Condoms and get to know your cycle. Don’t have sex during fertile period if you are worried. That is 5 days during a 28 day cycle . And if your using a condom when you do have sex then you would be safe. For example 28 day cycle. Fertile period is day 11-16. Don’t have sex those days and when you have sex the other days use condoms just in case. My dh and I didn’t use condoms and we just used pull out method during fertile time after a year together (this is when we decided if we fell pregnant we would be happy, but to still do pull out anyway). The first month we decided to not pull out during fertile period we got pregnant. Again we knew we would be happy w a baby. So we decided to see what happens during fertile period. So if you know your cycle well you can use it for prevention and to get pregnant if you want.

MrsCatKins Thu 14-Feb-19 21:36:03

Natural Cycles App
No hormones and total awareness of your body and your cycle. I can't recommend it enough.

I would never use hormonal contraception again.
Used Natural Cycles for two years to prevent pregnancy successfully and then when I wanted to ttc switched the settings and was pregnant on the first month!

AriadneCrete Thu 14-Feb-19 21:49:19

I have the Mirena coil and I love it. I’ve had no side effects apart from it stopping my periods, but that’s a positive for me.

It wasn’t exactly pleasant getting it in though!

Magenta82 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:57:10

I wanted a cap as I had one about 20 years ago but they aren't really a thing any more, shame because I preferred it to anything else.

In the end I got a copper coil and frankly it was horrific! Getting it fitted was incredibly painful, I actually passed out, and I have a high pain tolerance. The doctor didn't sterilise things properly so I ended up getting a pelvic infection and after that my periods got heavier and more painful.

Amanduh Thu 14-Feb-19 22:01:15

Well it absolutely depends on the person! I’m on the pill and have never had a bad/weight gain/mood/health side effect... i also had awful awful heavy hideously painful periods, it stopped that.
I did have a baby whilst on them though 🤣😂

Amanduh Thu 14-Feb-19 22:01:56

Also, any app or natural cycles is not a form of contraception.

AliyyaJann Thu 14-Feb-19 22:10:07

Copper cool has worked great for me. Periods haven't change, except that my cramps are less painful. U

Lyricallie Thu 14-Feb-19 22:12:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Livpool Thu 14-Feb-19 22:12:34

I have been on the pill most of my adult life and never had a problem. Currently off it as TTC but usually take it for 3 months at a time .

Mini pill and implant made me bleed continuously.

Never been a big fan of condoms - I like spontaneity but whatever works for you. Can be trial and error

April241 Thu 14-Feb-19 22:15:32

Mirena here, best once I've ever tried out of 3 types of pill and several shots at the implant.

WarIsPeace Thu 14-Feb-19 22:16:51

Back when I was young enough I took the combined pill for many years and it was great. Microgynon 30.
Ran back to back packets to skip awful periods, fertility came straight back after stopping, no problem. But I tried a few others first that didn't suit me, and the mini pill which made me bleed lightly but constantly. Now on 2nd mirena and good except my uterus eats them so I've lost the strings again.

iolaus Thu 14-Feb-19 22:17:23

Personally I liked the pill, also got on well with the patch didn't have the side effects
Not so good with the mirena as it perforated my uterus

Natural methods aren't good for me as the time I'm fertile is the time I want it and really can't trust myself (he's had a vasectomy now so I'm realising this more)

I think part of the issue with male contraception is because the female is the one who can get pregnant it's a big deal to hand over that control to someone else (I know I kind of have with the vasectomy but I have it in writing and doesn't depend on him doing anything regularly)

Chwaraeteg Thu 14-Feb-19 22:22:25

I've tried the pill, mini pill, implant and mirena. Mirena is the only one that I would recommend.

The pill gave me headaches and depression the mini pill gave me acne, weight gain, random bleeding and my first daughter grin, the implant gave me really bad backne and constant bleeding.

Mirena has made my periods lighter and less frequent (though I bled lightly about 50 % of the time for the first 3 months) and has causes no negative side effects. It did bloody hurt going in though confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »