Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to expect a bit more sympathy from Dh about my Mum being unwell ?

(10 Posts)
CaptainUnderpants Wed 04-Jul-07 17:49:15

My parents live 150 mile away. Mum is very elderly and frail and has been in hospital the last 10 days, if her condition doesn't improve with treatment they may have to operate . this is not good as she may not come out of it.

Anyway I would imagine that the op would be scheduled for next week , so I have decided to vist her this weekend, going Saturday coming back Sunday. Due to Dh work committments he cannot take time off the weekednd to look after the children so it means I have to take them with me. This is not a problem for me howver my DH is not happy as the boys will he says 'will be stuck in the car for 3 hrs Saturday and then 3 hrs Sunday ' despite the fact that they will watching DVDs etc and very happy to have the chance to stay in a hotel !.

Not once has he thought that perhaps I am making this journey to see my Mum as she may not be with us next weekend. Both his parents are younger than mine and in good health so he has yet to cross this bridge.

I am so f*k*g annoyed with him and his narrow mindedness in this matter.

Am I being unreasonable ?

justbeme Wed 04-Jul-07 17:57:04

I dont think so however, with any thread you can never cover everything in one go -

Will the boys be bored visiting her in hospital? How old are they? Could your DH's parents not have them for the weekend to give you more time with your Mum?

CaptainUnderpants Wed 04-Jul-07 17:58:20

My sister will keep them amused whilst I vist Mum , DH parents also live 150 miles away but in the other direction.

justbeme Wed 04-Jul-07 18:04:46

Well then they'll have a good time then wont they - in a hotel, new surroundings, it'll be like a little holiday for them and at least you'll have some quiet time with your Mum.
Try and put it to you DH like that - the last thing you want to do is leave home all stressed out 'cos you've had row.
Sometimes we can give our children good quality time in the car as well, chatting, playing I spy type games etc - remind your DH of that.

1Troll Wed 04-Jul-07 18:05:21

No, you are not being unreasonable at all-HE is. I think you need to spell out to DH exactly what you have said here as they are sometimes very good at not seeing the bleeding obvious!

CaptainUnderpants Wed 04-Jul-07 18:05:56

thank you

gordieracer Wed 04-Jul-07 18:18:30

And it's you who'll have to be in the car with them all that time, not him!
Tell him if he doesn't like it then it's up to him to make other arrangments for them.

CaptainUnderpants Wed 04-Jul-07 18:31:42

well , he may have seen the light and we have come to a meeting half way. He will work Saturday be home tea time, have Sunday off . I will leave, with out children on Saturday tea time and be able to spend some time with Mum without worrying about them on Sunday, then come back late Sunday evening.

justbeme Wed 04-Jul-07 18:33:55

I glad you got it sorted - hope your Mum isnt as bad as you fear.

CaptainUnderpants Wed 04-Jul-07 18:38:48

thanks Justbeme - want to go and see her , would never forgive myself if anything happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now