Talk

Advanced search

Calling in sick on probation period

(16 Posts)
pampershuggies Mon 11-Feb-19 21:52:59

1 month out of 3 months left of my probationary period at work.

I'm suffering bad with tonsillitis. I get it every 6 weeks or so but this time it's quite bad. I wasn't in work for this morning as I had an urgent doctors appointment but forced myself in for this afternoon. I'm running on no sleep as I was in too much pain last night, and I'm now on antibiotics with a numbing spray and painkillers aren't touching the sides.

Does it look awful if I call in sick (especially after not being in this morning) or are they linked and backs up the fact that I truly am feeling awful?
When I get it usually, it's a tolerable pain and I just power through - I have no idea why it's so bad this time! sad

edwinbear Mon 11-Feb-19 21:56:47

Oh you poor thing. I think if you made the effort to go in this afternoon after your appointment and people can clearly see you are unwell it’s fine to call in sick tomorrow. I’ve just finished a 6 month probation period and had one day off - there was no issue at all as I was quite clearly ill.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Mon 11-Feb-19 21:56:58

No I don’t think it’s that bad- people get sick and most people aren’t unreasonable. But do you hold down jobs easily if you get sick every 6 weeks? If that frequent could you not get your tonsils removed?

pampershuggies Mon 11-Feb-19 21:58:44

@OnlyFoolsnMothers well like I said it's usually just a tolerable, background pain and doesn't cause my any trouble except a bit of discomfort and slight pain so never affects anything usually, and I never get sick otherwise!

And as I've found it so tolerable (every time except this time), the GP has no record of them flaring up and can only offer removal if they have 5 documented cases a year.

Boobiliboobiliboo Mon 11-Feb-19 22:00:17

Probation is a red herring. You don’t have any employment rights for the first 24 months.

cstaff Mon 11-Feb-19 22:00:33

Tbh op I would crawl in and wait for your boss to send you home. Sorry but it really doesn't look good from your point of view. Hope you recover soon.

MsVestibule Mon 11-Feb-19 22:03:33

Surely one incidence of sickness in 3 months isn't going to be viewed badly? OP, if you're not well enough to be there, just don't go in. (More than one might be an issue, though.)

Merryoldgoat Mon 11-Feb-19 22:04:40

I had to call in sick in during my first week. I had an accident on the way to work and sprained both ankles.

Sometimes it’s unavoidable. You need some rest.

Hiddenaspie1973 Mon 11-Feb-19 22:04:49

Yanbu.
My pp was 9 months so yes, I was too ill to work on one day.

velvetroses Mon 11-Feb-19 22:05:12

I had to take 3 days off at the beginning of January as I fainted twice and then started vomiting. Emailed and called my manager as soon as I called. She said it was fine but I still had to have a return to work meeting with her when I went back to work.

See how you feel tonight and in the morning and make a decision then. Hope you feel better.

Sparklesocks Mon 11-Feb-19 22:06:32

If you’re sick you’re sick, you can’t help it and there’s never a good time to be unwell. If you’re too sick to work then call in, don’t make yourself worse by pushing yourself too hard. If you’re good at your job and haven’t had many other absences it won’t count against you. Feel better!

Boobiliboobiliboo Mon 11-Feb-19 22:15:47

She said it was fine but I still had to have a return to work meeting with her when I went back to work.

That’s good practice.

tillythedog Mon 11-Feb-19 23:02:54

unfortunately, my mum has been let go from her job today (in her probation period) as she has been off with pneumonia for 3 weeks (in and out of hospital and on medication too), I really hope your work is a lot nice than my mums! hoping you get better soon ☺️

cstaff Mon 11-Feb-19 23:37:17

@Tilly Jeez that sounds a bit harsh. There's not much you can do about pneumonia. You can hardly fake it. I hope your mum recovers well and finds a new job soon.

Redcampions Tue 12-Feb-19 00:50:01

I called in sick on my first shift three weeks ago. They were fine about it. I also went and got a doctors note even though I could self certificate which showed them I really was ill.

Zoflorabore Tue 12-Feb-19 00:55:27

You really need to see the doctor for each and every episode of possible op to get it documented.
When I was a little kid I suffered terribly with tonsillitis and had them removed at 9.
I'm now 41 and can still remember the pain I felt and how sick it made me.
Recovery is very quick.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I would take the day off, hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and sleep as much as possible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »