Talk

Advanced search

FUMING at the neighbour

(36 Posts)
UpAtDusk Mon 11-Feb-19 20:42:58

Today I went to work earlier than usual.

I walked outside to my car, and caught my neighbour leaning is door on my car. It took all I had not to say something. He has a huge 4x4 whereas I have a small Peugeot. He always parks close to me and I take care not to touch his car, yet he doesn't give a shit.

I know I sound petty but I am so angry at the arrogance of it. What would you do?

JonSlow Mon 11-Feb-19 20:45:53

Did it do any damage?

MustShowDH Mon 11-Feb-19 20:45:56

What would I do? If that bothered me I'd take anger management classes!
I'd probably go over and join them for a chat.

Is there background?

Is this a reverse?

Boyskeepswinging Mon 11-Feb-19 20:46:11

It took all I had not to say something
Why didn't you say something?

caughtinanet Mon 11-Feb-19 20:46:33

His car door or was he moving another door and leant it on your car?

If it was his car door I probably would have asked him not to do it. If it was some other door I definitely would have said please don't leave that door on my car.

UpAtDusk Mon 11-Feb-19 20:47:05

No background, just so annoyed he thought that was an okay thing to do, while parking too close to my car. He parks over near mine to give the 4x4 the other side a lot of space (maybe he's worried about that car door opening on his)

recrudescence Mon 11-Feb-19 20:48:00

Not worth getting het up about.

BettaSplenden Mon 11-Feb-19 20:48:49

Don't think this is a reverse. I would also be fuming. It's rude, inconsiderate and unnecessary. I know some people don't care about thier cars but I love mine and if someone did that to me I would kick up a stink.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Mon 11-Feb-19 20:49:08

This why things become issues. Because one person cannot, will not communicate effectively.

"Morning Jim, up early, Cold isn't it! oi oi! mind my little Bertha with your hulking Chelsea tractor, she's my pride and joy !"

^^ the above is called 'humour', before a literalist comes along to tell me that naming inanimate objects is wrong and I shall burn in hell for doing so.

JonSlow Mon 11-Feb-19 20:52:52

So was there damage, or did he open it and rest against some metal?

SoupDragon Mon 11-Feb-19 21:10:37

🤔

adaline Mon 11-Feb-19 21:12:25

If there wasn't any damage I have to say it wouldn't bother me.

Wolfiefan Mon 11-Feb-19 21:13:11

Did he touch your car or hit it and damage it? The first is a non issue but the second is unacceptable.
In future? Use your words.

1Redacted1 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:15:24

The appropriately-named @PlainSpeakingStraightTalking has it bang on in this instance. It’s your neighbour so that kind of response is perfect. For a total stranger doing it in a car park, I’d be a bit more forthright.

Yes, opening your door against another car can cause damage. No, it’s not petty or ridiculous to object to someone doing it.

EffYouSeeKaye Mon 11-Feb-19 21:15:46

I like PlainSpeaking’s suggestion. I might use it myself one day. I’m not great at confrontation but it’s very annoying when you stew over stuff for ages instead.

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 11-Feb-19 21:17:07

Door touching my car - I would not be at all bothered. Door opened sharply into mine so there is risk of damage - I'd be a bit annoyed but hide it and ask him nicely to park further away next time. Door actually caused damage - I'd ask whether he wants to go through the insurance or just pay when I get the bill from the garage.

WorraLiberty Mon 11-Feb-19 21:19:44

It took all I had not to say something.

I just can't fathom why you wouldn't say something? confused

ReanimatedSGB Mon 11-Feb-19 21:25:52

Car owners are just weird. I can't imagine why people would get their undies in a bundle about something like this.

CoffeeRunner Mon 11-Feb-19 21:29:59

No damage to my car = no problem IMO.

I’m quite a laid back soul really!

StoneofDestiny Mon 11-Feb-19 21:33:59

Another car owner has got his car door in mine? Too right I'd say something - I'd check to see if there was damage. If no damage I'd tell him not to do it again as I don't want damage. If there was damage I'd expect him to pay for it.
I'm staggered people think it reasonable to put your car door into another persons car!

1Redacted1 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:40:44

@ReanimatedSGB It’s not at all weird to object to someone else being careless towards something you own. You may not be able to imagine why it would bother someone when some idiot damages their possessions, but strangely, not everyone feels the same way.

Loulzze Mon 11-Feb-19 21:41:43

No this is would absolutely piss me off. I didn't get a car until 4 years after my test then I scraped and saved to buy one and I love it. Its inconsiderate and rude and you should say something next time. Don't buy a big car if you're incapable of parking it appropriately or have no spacial awareness!

Racecardriver Mon 11-Feb-19 21:44:47

I don’t understand what the problem is exactly. That wouldn’t do any harm. Do you just not like that he is touching your stuff?

PCohle Mon 11-Feb-19 21:48:31

I might find it mildly irritating but I really don't think you can mention it - you'll sound mad. You need to let it go

TigerQuoll Mon 11-Feb-19 21:48:57

If damage - talk to your insurance company, give them his details and let them sort it out
If no damage - maybe consider covering your car with a cover each night to give it some protection from scratches

I don't think there's a lot of point speaking to the neighbour - if someone can't work out that hitting another car with yours is wrong, then telling them is only going to result in bad feelings or worse. It's not like someone could not know and then are happy to have it explained to them that it's wrong, and then they stop doing it...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: