Talk

Advanced search

to think this is not what you do in a spa?

(134 Posts)
surroundedbyvulpices Mon 11-Feb-19 14:56:14

Having a much needed relaxing afternoon in a spa, doing what one does - sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, lazy lengths in the (smallish) pool (don't judge me, I was desperate).

This guy comes striding out of the men's changing room, goggles on, throws himself into the pool with an almighty splash, and furiously front crawls straight at me without looking. Startled and somewhat intimidated, I get out and find a lounger, while he continues to circle the pool in a savage, noisy and overly splashy manner for a good twenty minutes.

AIBU to think you don't monopolise a quiet spa environment, and certainly not like a bull in a china shop?

Nesssie Mon 11-Feb-19 14:57:22

Some spas are open to the public as their local swimming pool. Its annoying but he has just as much right to be there as you.

surroundedbyvulpices Mon 11-Feb-19 14:59:33

Nesssie Sorry yes, I should have said - this was not one of those. Posh expensive country house spa in the middle of nowhere.

PinkHeart5914 Mon 11-Feb-19 14:59:57

<<wonders how one can swim in a savage manner 😂>>

Maybe having a good savage swim is his idea of a spa day

VeraWangTwang Mon 11-Feb-19 15:03:11

I agree with you OP, it's inconsiderate for others using the pool

dennisreynoldsduster Mon 11-Feb-19 15:05:09

Want to change my name to savageswimmer now

Agree with you though op unless it’s open for public swimming that’s hardly relaxing behaviour

arethereanyleftatall Mon 11-Feb-19 15:10:20

Oh, I don't know here. That's possibly the only way he knows how to swim. Are you saying people should only be allowed to swim if they do head up breaststroke with no splash? What about a smooth front crawl, is that allowed? As Im writing, I've decided I think yabu, if people want to swim, they can swim how they like.

SinglePringle Mon 11-Feb-19 15:10:26

Hmmmm. I’m torn on this. I love to swim and if I were at a spa for the day, I’d take my goggles and I’d do my usual 50 / 60 non stop lengths.

However, I swim breast stroke so less splash and savage (grin). And I’d either swim the circumference of the pool or straight up and down (as I can tumble turn <preen>).

A proper swim is very relaxing for me.

Blahdeblahbahhhhh Mon 11-Feb-19 15:13:02

Sounds a bit over the top for a spa. Are you certain they don’t have a health club/gym membership system? Some posh country houses do this to supplement and it does seem to cause issues with different needs of spa versus health club.

Hazlenutpie Mon 11-Feb-19 15:14:23

Swimming in a swimming pool wow, who knew?

AryaStarkWolf Mon 11-Feb-19 15:14:52

ffs

reallyanotherone Mon 11-Feb-19 15:15:22

However, I swim breast stroke so less splash and savage (grin). And I’d either swim the circumference of the pool or straight up and down (as I can tumble turn <preen>).

Ooh no, you can’t tumble turn from breastroke, instant disqualification!

dennisreynoldsduster Mon 11-Feb-19 15:18:36

On thinking more I suppose it depends on what you deem to be savage
If he’s just swimming then I think it’s fine
If it’s super super splashy speedy training type swimming a spa isn’t the place

sparkling123 Mon 11-Feb-19 15:18:49

Can you jump in and 'bomb' him? Join in and start a race? Or hold on to the sides and practice your kicking? The man is clearly an idiot, I would be very annoyed as well.

Isleepinahedgefund Mon 11-Feb-19 15:20:55

How inconsiderate of him. Doesn’t he know that spas are all full of Mumsnetters getting over non-traumas and relationship non-issues?

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Mon 11-Feb-19 15:22:01

Only on MN could someone be "startled and intimidated" by swimming.

SinglePringle Mon 11-Feb-19 15:22:10

(It’s actually more of a regulation flip turn but people understand what’s meant by tumble and aren’t pedants so...!)

toomuchtooold Mon 11-Feb-19 15:22:23

There's a world of difference between normal front crawl and angry man "I've still got it" front crawl. Most people understand that when you're sharing a pool with other people (and not trying to qualify for the sodding Olympics) you need to tone down your thrashiness a bit but there's always that one guy.

AgathaF Mon 11-Feb-19 15:22:28

He's probably a member so doesn't see the place in quite the same way as you do.

surroundedbyvulpices Mon 11-Feb-19 15:22:30

hedgefund grin

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 11-Feb-19 15:23:28

This is the aquatic equivalent of man-spreading isn’t it. Person with penis coming through! Make way everyone while I dominate the space, make a lot of fuss and make my presence felt to everyone. hmm

EastEndQueen Mon 11-Feb-19 15:27:18

I genuinely think male swimming behaviour (some men obviously, not all men!) is the next feminist frontier.

Every time I go swimming there are men doing aggressive front crawl/ butterfly in the exact way you describe, not looking where they are going, blinding everyone by splashing them in the eyes, soaking people’s hair and getting arsey if there is any restriction on them swimming like this like lane closures (including on a few recent visits for really good reasons like life guard training)!

They are quite threatening to slower swimmers which I find particularly annoying as swimming is perfect exercise for those recovering from surgery or childbirth, older people, the disabled, larger or pregnant people, people returning to exercise after a long gap etc and it annoys me when people without lots of other exercise options are put off or made to feel in the way.

Obviously women I swim with have a large ability range too but I find the keener/ fitter women always operate lane discipline and manners and just subtly move around people in their way. Plenty of men behave well too, but the rude swimmers are ALWAYS male.

YANBU at all

foggyuplands Mon 11-Feb-19 15:27:36

I've had a gym membership in a country house in the middle of nowhere before because I also lived in the middle of nowhere. It sounds like a similar set up as there would be a mixture of guests and regulars.

DontCallMeCharlotte Mon 11-Feb-19 15:28:50

He's probably a member

Certainly sounds like one.

Aprilshowersarecomingsoon Mon 11-Feb-19 15:29:40

Maybe he has got 'Baby Shark' earworm and just had to get it out of his head?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »